#23 OU @ UCF 3pm CST on ESPN+

Just noticed I typed Soares instead of Moore for the starter that actually showed up. Oops, had Soares on my brain. Moore wasn't perfect today but you'll take a double-double from one of your starters.

Uzan, Godwin, Oweh, and McCollum...review the film and get it together, lol.
I think Moore has been our best player the last half dozen games. He has been really fun to watch.

I was surprised by how much UCFs length bothered us. Outside a couple attempts by Darthard, we never could find the space to take a comfortable 3.

Hats off to UCF for playing really well. Just a disappointing showing today. Couldn’t ever find the right rhythm. Watching the game, UCF really seemed like a tough matchup for us. I’d rather them be on the other side of the bracket from us in the Big12 tourney.

We actually got good bench play. Soares had 11. Darthard 14.

Oweh and McCollum just didn't show up in the 2nd half. McCollum had 2 points in the 2nd half. That's the first 2 off a foul at the end of the half.

Oweh 6 points.
Oweh, McCollum, and Uzan don’t show up. That happens far too often. Maybe they just aren’t good enough if they fail to show up in any meaningful way against any decent team.

Well, KU has four top 10 wins, played a great noncon, and for them, losing there at worst might cost them a seed line. For us? It could be the difference between making and missing the tournament.
You missed the point

I think Moore has been our best player the last half dozen games. He has been really fun to watch.

I was surprised by how much UCFs length bothered us. Outside a couple attempts by Darthard, we never could find the space to take a comfortable 3.

Hats off to UCF for playing really well. Just a disappointing showing today. Couldn’t ever find the right rhythm. Watching the game, UCF really seemed like a tough matchup for us. I’d rather them be on the other side of the bracket from us in the Big12 tourney.
And isn’t that sad to say about a team near the bottom of the league that made a major jump in competition level this year? We shouldn’t have to worry about how we match up with them, but here we are.

Won't happen, but Soares should move into the starting lineup
Yes. For Godwin. And Godwin needs to be the backup he’s supposed to be.

They need to give Hughley a bus ticket back to Pitt.

Every complaint about Tanner Groves last year, this guy is 100 times worse.

McCollum 3-25 from 3 last 5 games if he thinks he is ready for the nba…he isn’t even close.
He’s ready for the And One mix tape league. He’s gotta learn how to play a floor game of college basketball instead of trying to break ankles or shoot pullback threes all the time.

Funny how it goes from doom and gloom to we're back to doom and gloom. OU needs to handle their business in the upcoming home games end of story, games like today happen in this conference on the road. Sky isn't falling this team is what it is at this point.

What's disappointing is when you're noncompetitive and get 0's from your best players. They got out worked and were not prepared mentally. Just can't happen and it's happened 2x in the last week with the Texas game and today. Staff has to get these guys ready to compete night in night out.
More troubling is the fact that our best players may not, in fact, be worth a crap. The sunshine pumpers will probably act like Los “is doing everything well except shooting,” but the fact is, he has been bad all season with the exception of maybe four or five games. Oweh and JM haven’t been good since conference play started. They feasted on awful opponents the first two months. For JM, that’s in line with the competition he faced at his old school. For Oweh, he could dominate with his strength and athletic ability. Now we are playing other teams with good athletes who are bigger and stronger, and the DCO crap is a nonfactor, so back we go to our plodding, no ball movement offense. I’ve said all season that we lack perimeter shooting, and now that JM also can’t hit, we have no threats. Add in our inability to even make a layup, and it’s terrible offense almost every game.

This should serve as a reminder next November not to start hyping our guys as studs after a couple blowouts of Norman North and Jenks, but I’m sure it won’t. We will probably get practice reports of how good and athletic Northweather and Forsythe look.

OU may have peaked too early in the season, or could be they just ain't as good as we all thought
either way they sure are not a top 20 team at this point

Depth is an issue. If Uzan or JM aren’t cutting it, we need someone on the bench good enough to step up.

Depth is an issue. If Uzan or JM aren’t cutting it, we need someone on the bench good enough to step up.
I was thinking about this last night. Outside of these two guys, do we have a single guy that can bring the ball up the floor against Big12 teams?

Hugley can’t play without getting into foul trouble. He’s a good player that can help us but he can’t stay on the floor. Now, some of that is not his fault. He’s been called for a lot of BS fouls that aren’t fouls. For some reason, the Big12 refs hate him and call a lot of BS on him. It’s strange for him to continue to be singled out by the refs.

I wouldn’t go that far but their ability to become invisible during games is very concerning.
Realistically a lot of kids have a down sophomore year. I would hope we would start to see a rise in Los' production as we move into the back half of the season but we may not. However if this spills over into next season we have a problem.

Somewhat the same for McCollum. Adjusting to Big 12 play from the Metro Atlantic Athletic conference can take some time. Non con for the most part I would say is comparable. But conference play is another beast. Again I would hope we would start seeing some progress by now or at least VERY soon.

The part I'm struggling with is coaching. And I have and am a PM supporter. Sometimes our offense looks great. Ball is moving, players are moving and high quality shots are produced. But for longer stretches, they're playing AAU ball. One guy is dribbling on the perimeter, one guy is screening and everyone else is standing still, quite literally with their hands on there knees sometimes. At this point in time I'd say it's safe to say the high screen and roll is 90% of our offense. That's problematic. I know fundamental basketball as we know it is almost all but dead but anyone with even a small amount of basketball IQ knows that a lack of movement makes it easy on a defense. Our offense is predicated on getting the ball to a given player and letting them try to make something happen. Two things I think would make a noticeable difference in our offense efficiency are: 1. More off ball movement. 2. Work the high/mid post more. When we get ball inside out we're highly effective majority of the time.

If we get swept next week, I'll join the doom and gloom party. I'm not gonna **** the bed about this team just hanging around .500, when our best conference record since Buddy left is 9-8. If we exclude years when we have a top 5 draft pick, that 9-8 season is the only year since Sampson we were above .500.

Realistically a lot of kids have a down sophomore year. I would hope we would start to see a rise in Los' production as we move into the back half of the season but we may not. However if this spills over into next season we have a problem.

Somewhat the same for McCollum. Adjusting to Big 12 play from the Metro Atlantic Athletic conference can take some time. Non con for the most part I would say is comparable. But conference play is another beast. Again I would hope we would start seeing some progress by now or at least VERY soon.

The part I'm struggling with is coaching. And I have and am a PM supporter. Sometimes our offense looks great. Ball is moving, players are moving and high quality shots are produced. But for longer stretches, they're playing AAU ball. One guy is dribbling on the perimeter, one guy is screening and everyone else is standing still, quite literally with their hands on there knees sometimes. At this point in time I'd say it's safe to say the high screen and roll is 90% of our offense. That's problematic. I know fundamental basketball as we know it is almost all but dead but anyone with even a small amount of basketball IQ knows that a lack of movement makes it easy on a defense. Our offense is predicated on getting the ball to a given player and letting them try to make something happen. Two things I think would make a noticeable difference in our offense efficiency are: 1. More off ball movement. 2. Work the high/mid post more. When we get ball inside out we're highly effective majority of the time.
Everything you say here is correct. Basketball is not a complicated sport. Movement without the ball on offense is critical at every level. I coach small ball junior high and high school and I CONSTANTLY get on to players for passing and then watching the guy with the ball. Cut, screen away, curl, do something. Moser obviously knows this so I’m not sure where the disconnect with his offense is.

Against Tech the offense moved really well. There were off the ball screens, double screens, etc. I hope they can replicate that more in the future.

Last edited:
Back