>>>>>>>OU-Iowa State Game Thread<<<<<<<

OUHoops

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
>>>>>>>OU-Iowa State Game Thread<<<<<<<

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=209881102

QUICK PREVIEW
No. 21/21 Oklahoma (16-7, 7-4) goes for its fifth straight win when it hosts No. 11/14 Iowa State (17-5, 7-3) on Monday at 8 p.m. CT at Lloyd Noble Center. The Sooners, who have won their last four games by an average of 21.0 points, are 10-1 in Norman and boast a +21.6 average scoring margin in those 11 contests. The Cyclones are 2-3 in true road games (1-3 in the Big 12). They have won five of their last seven games and are coming off a 75-38 home victory over Texas Tech.

ON THE AIR
Monday's game will air on the Sooner Radio Network (KRXO 107.7 FM "The Franchise" in Oklahoma City; KTBZ 1430 AM in Tulsa; Sirius 91; XM 91) with Toby Rowland, Mike Houck and Chad McKee calling the action. It will be televised by ESPN with Brent Musburger, Fran Fraschilla and Kaylee Hartung announcing.

THE SERIES
Oklahoma owns a 112-82 all-time record against Iowa State and is 62-22 in the series in Norman (OU has won nine of the last 10 meetings at Lloyd Noble Center and 23 of the last 27). Last year in Norman, Buddy Hield (22 and 5), Isaiah Cousins (17 and 4) and Ryan Spangler (16 and 15) combined for 55 points and 24 rebounds in an 87-82 win over the previously unbeaten Cyclones. ISU scored an 81-75 win in Ames despite a then-career-high 30 points from Hield. Hield averaged 26.0 points on 11-for-20 3-point shooting in the two games.

PREVIEWING IOWA STATE
Picked by Big 12 coaches to finish in fifth place in the league, No. 11/14 Iowa State is in sole possession of second place with a 7-3 record (a half game ahead of Oklahoma). The Cyclones, who are 17-5 overall, suffered two of their three conference losses by a combined six points. Their league defeats came at Baylor (74-73), at Texas Tech (78-73) and at Kansas (89-76). They are 13-0 at home and 4-5 away from home (2-3 in true road games). In conference play, Iowa State is averaging 76.9 points per game (leads the league) on .484 field goal shooting (also ranks first), .359 3-point shooting (fourth) and .659 free throw shooting (seventh). They allow opponents to score 71.6 points per game (last) on .417 field goal shooting (sixth) and .364 3-point shooting (eighth).

A Big 12-high five Cyclones average double figures in scoring. Junior forward Georges Niang leads the team with his 15.2 points per game and also averages 5.3 rebounds and 3.5 assists while shooting .411 from 3-point range (1.4 makes per contest) and .775 from the free throw line. In Big 12 play, he is shooting .486 from behind the arc (1.7 makes per outing). Senior guard Bryce Dejean-Jones, a transfer from UNLV, is averaging 12.5 points, a team-high 5.8 rebounds (leads Big 12 guards) and 2.8 assists a game. He ranks third in the Big 12 (tops among guards) with his .517 field goal mark. Junior guard Naz Long averages 11.8 points and 2.6 3-pointers (ranks second in league) per contest. Sophomore point guard Monté Morris averages 10.8 points and a Big 12-high 5.6 assists a game. He also paces the conference with his 4.8 assist-to-turnover ratio (next best figure is 2.4). Senior forward Dustin Hogue averages 10.6 points and 5.0 rebounds an outing while shooting .581 from the field.

Fred Hoiberg is in his fifth year as a collegiate head coach and owns a 107-52 record. He was a 1995 third-team All-American at Iowa State and is the school's third-leading all-time scorer (1,993 points). The Ames native played 10 years in the NBA.

Re: OU-Iowa State Pregame Notes | SoonerSports.com

Obviously, a huge game. We need to protect our home court. I am hoping our much improved D can slow ISU down. Couple that with some decent shooting and we should have a great chance at home.

Come on Sooner fans. Let's get out and support the team.

Let's do this thing!

Re: >>>>>>>OU-Iowa State Game Thread<<<<<<<

30 minutes until showtime!

I know ISU has a good team but I feel like we have the better team and should win this. My biggest concern is if Niang gets hot from outside. Looking forward to this one.

Should be a great game. Baylor/OSU game will be finished on time.

Should be a great game. Baylor/OSU game will be finished on time.

I suspect we will start on ESPN News because Duke/FSU looks like it will run long.

Student section overflowing.
Non-student seats completely empty.

I suspect we will start on ESPN News because Duke/FSU looks like it will run long.

Yeah I forgot the OSU game was on a different channel. My bad.

ESPN is doing nothing yet, I guess. I hate when they join in progress.

3-0 Clones

Tied at 3. Cousins.

Lazy defense from Buddy. Absolutely can't have that tonight.

5-3 OU. Spangler with a put back.

7-7 tied. Spangler lost the handle on an easy lay in, led to a fast break.

Tied at 9 first media time out.

Back