picture21p.png

picture22jq.png

Re: OU-Iowa State Box Score >>> SoonerSports.com

Yikes.... 6,412 in attendance....Disagree Sooner Nation

Re: OU-Iowa State Box Score >>> SoonerSports.com

Quotes: Source

Oklahoma Head Coach Jeff Capel
Opening comment:
“Gutsy performance by our guys. They stepped up and did a great job, got off to a great start. We were shooting the ball well, we were moving the ball well, getting out in transition and I thought our defense was pretty good early. They made a run there at the end of the half but we were still able to have a comfortable lead. In the second half I thought we started out well offensively, just defensively we couldn’t get stops. I thought we were a little fatigued there late. Our guys made winning plays.

“Tommy (Mason-Griffin) was incredible. I had a feeling he was going to play really well. Before the game as we were in the locker room I said we were going to win and I pointed at Tommy and said, ‘because he is going to lead us. And Cade (Davis) is going to lead us and Ryan (Wright) is going to lead us.’ Tommy stepped up and had one of the best performances I have seen in Lloyd Noble since I have been here, and one of the best performances for a freshman guard in an adverse situation. Proud of this win. We have a tough one coming up on Saturday, have to get some rest and get ready for Nebraska.”

On the progression of Tommy Mason-Griffin:
“I think he has gotten more comfortable with the speed of college basketball. I think he is not deferring now and that is one of the things we’ve talked about a lot. I just think he’s understanding the level a little bit better now and usually this is around the time it happens for a freshman point guard. Another thing is he is very good, he is very talented. With the way he shoots the ball, it’s tough to keep him in front of them. With the way he can handle it, he can explode by and he’s quick.”

On Cade Davis driving to the basket more:
“We watched tape after the Texas Tech game (Saturday). One of the things I told Cade, just his shot selection in particular in that game, I thought he settled for 3’s too much. He just shot contested 3’s and the scouting report on him is to take that away. He has opportunities to drive and he is a strong driver. I just thought he settled too much. We want Cade to take open shots for us, but he has to mix it up a little bit.”

On freshman Ray Willis, who made his first career start:
“One thing Ray (Willis) has always done when he’s gotten in, is that he rebounds. The thing he has to do offensively is he has to get stronger, he has to play stronger and shot selection. When he takes shots, we think he is a good offensive player. His length can bother people defensively but he has to be stronger and fight through things a little bit better.”

Freshman Guard Tommy Mason-Griffin
On his 38-point night:
“Coach Capel just told me to come and be aggressive, be assertive for everybody, for the people not playing. (Tony) Crock(er) and Willie (Warren) not playing, that’s a lot of the offense. I just wanted to step up and try to carry my team as much as possible.

“I felt like the rhythm was there. Once I hit the second 3, I was like ‘I’m going to need to get going,’ so I tried to get into it as quickly as I could.”

On why he’s played so well the past few games:
“The game was really slowing down for me. At first it was moving fast. I was trying to make the home run plays and trying to move the ball around. Now I’m just relaxed, turning it around and making easy plays, taking open shots.”

On why Iowa State was able to come back within three points in the second half:
“Really because we got comfortable and relaxed, I guess. We had the lead at a large number so that’s just a lesson to take every possession more seriously in the second half, even though there’s a big gap in the points. A few baskets can get the game right back into it, a whole new ball game.”

Junior Guard Cade Davis
On Tommy Mason-Griffin becoming a more dependable player:
“He’s our captain out there on the floor. He gets us in our stuff. He runs things. He takes control of the ball and takes care of it really well. He’s played lights out the last two games and we don’t expect anything less out of him. He’s going to have keeping coming out the rest of the season and keep doing what he’s doing.”

On OU letting up in the second half:
“Like Tommy said, we kind of let up, kind of got comfortable in the second half. Just coming back out we thought we had a big enough lead, kind of relaxed. But we started having really bad defense and I think they kept getting wide open shots, getting to the basket. Fatigue may have set in a little bit, but we just have to fight through that.”

On the team finally getting shots to fall in conference play:
“It’s huge, but also if we’re coming back at home we feel more comfortable on the floor, feel more comfortable shooting the ball here. Hopefully that’ll carry over as we go on our next road game.”

------

Notes: Source

• Oklahoma (12-8, 3-3) improved to 10-0 at home this season with a 89-84 victory over Iowa State (12-8, 1-4). The Sooners played without starting guards Willie Warren and Tony Crocker (sprained ankles), who are averaging a combined 30 points per game on the year.

• OU had two players score at least 20 points for the second straight game and fifth time this season. Tommy Mason-Griffin set a career high for the third straight contest with a game-high 38 points, while Cade Davis scored 24.

• Mason-Griffin’s point total was the fifth highest by a freshman in Big 12 history (tied with Baylor’s LaceDarius Dunn in 2007-08), surpassed only by Kansas State’s Michael Beasley (four times in 2007-08).

• Mason-Griffin’s 38 points were the most by a Big 12 player this season, eclipsing the 33-point efforts of teammate Tony Crocker and Kansas’ Sherron Collins. Mason-Griffin is averaging 28.3 points over the last three games.

• Mason-Griffin was 13-of-21 from the field (7-of-7 from the free-throw line) and added six assists and two steals in 40 minutes. He has played 202 out of a possible 205 minutes over the last five games.

• Mason-Griffin’s 38 points tied as the most by an OU point guard. Mookie Blaylock also scored 38 against Iowa State during the 1988-89 season. A Sooner has scored more points just 22 times in the 103 years of the program.

• Mason-Griffin’s 38 points were the second most by a Sooner since the 1993-94 season when Jeff Webster scored 41 against Colorado. Blake Griffin scored 40 points against Texas Tech last season.

• In Oklahoma’s six conference games, Mason-Griffin is shooting .500 (20-for-40) from 3-point range.

• Davis’ 24 points marked the second most of his career (scored 25 against Northern Colorado on Dec. 19, 2009).

• OU scored 19 first-half points off 14 Iowa State turnovers, while committing just three turnovers itself.

• OU’s 48 points in the first half marked its highest scoring output in the opening half of a conference game this season.

• The Sooners hit eight first-half 3-pointers, a mark that equaled their high in any Big 12 game this season. OU finished the game 11-of-26 (.423) from long range and 32-of-66 (.485) from the field. It leads the Big 12 with its 8.3 treys per game.

• Oklahoma utilized first-half runs of 11-0 and 6-0, and led by as many as 21 before heading to the half with a 48-32 advantage. The Sooners led the entire contest.

• The Sooners have won 11 consecutive games at home and 30 of their last 31.

Back