OU recruit Gary Franklin may commit to ASU

Seymore Cox

Reaction score
per pointguardu.com

conventional wisdom is that he'll follow his AAU teammate Keala King.

King visited ASU with close friend and AAU teammate Gary Franklin who PGU ranks as the 63rd best talent in the 2010 class. Franklin is a combo-guard and scorer who has an in-home visit with ASU on Thursday. Sendek will be looking to influence Gary Franklin with King's commitment and don't be surprised if the Sun Devils land him as well. The two were the starting backcourt for AAU team California Supreme this summer and Sendek will no doubt stress the chemistry the two have developed.

Keala King has already told Gary Franklin that he will be a Sun Devil and Franklin should consider them too.

While Arizona was never a favorite for King, the coaches can now focus there attention to Trey Zeigler and Doron Lamb(sorry Cheno). Arizona has an in-home setup with Doron Lamb on September 12th and should get an official visit.

I know DFW thought that Baylor had a really good shot at Franklin and this could put them in a tough spot if the conventional wisdom is that their top three PG prospects are Franklin(who might commit to ASU) , Pressey(who DFW thinks is going to Mizzou) and Josh Selby who reportedly had a good visit this week with a university in a State north of Oklahoma(sorry Cheno).

Even though OU is not high on Franklin's list, you still want to see guys like him, McCallum, and Pressey to take their recruiting to the spring just incase their is a chance OU could get back involved or if OU is unable to land a PG. I think OU is in probably a worse position than Baylor, because they are in on only two top prospects at PG in McCallum and Releford.

That would surprise me some based on Franklin's desire (according to him) to play in an up tempo system. Nothing about ASU is up tempo in my book. Baylor is actively recruiting:

1. Selby
2. Pressey
3. Franklin
4. Crawford (likely a grade issue/late qualifier and Tenn lean)
5. Scott
6. Lavonte Dority (hard-nosed Chicago kid)

If they struck out on the top 3, they have a decision to make: save the scholarship for 2011 where they are in on lots of big time guys or see if they can gain a commitment from one of the lower guys on their list.

I think Drew feels comfortable with AJ Walton and Nolan Dennis/Mark McLaughlin running point for the future if needed. But would prefer one of the top 3 if he can land them.

Back