<<<OU v. OSU All-Time (a comparison)>>>

There was some grumblings from some Ags about tradition (Intheknow reads this board) over on OP.com.

Just wanted to give them a reference.

Sky,

Feel free to clean up the original post. I think it can be made even better than I was able to do it.

Also, will somebody get me the A&M national championship shirt from kohls for my b-day. Thanks!

Hows this for "recent"?

Since the inception of the Big 12, OSU has finished above OU in the conference standings exactly 1 time.

1 time.

Not bad for the "Duke of the Plains"

There is very little debate that the NIT was the more prestigious tournament back then, mainly because it had the higher payout. That being said back in those days they handed out football NCs before bowl games, and we actually lost one of them. I still count that title, even though by today's logic it would not stand up. Had we won a few NCAA tourneys back in the 40s I would certainly claim them. :)

There is very little debate that the NIT was the more prestigious tournament back then, mainly because it had the higher payout. That being said back in those days they handed out football NCs before bowl games, and we actually lost one of them. I still count that title, even though by today's logic it would not stand up. Had we won a few NCAA tourneys back in the 40s I would certainly claim them. :)

And no one is saying they can't claim them or be proud of that Era. Don't tell me you're better than OU or UT because of them though.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2009/03/15/sports/ncaabasketball/20090316-tournament-graphic.html

This isn't used to argue one way or the other (although the circle in Stillwater's a tad bigger ;)), just thought it was interesting. And didn't know where else it could go.

My response to this is to have you go back and read the OP. Nobody said that your championships were irrelevant. It is too bad (for your sake) that they don't tip the scales in your favor after looking at all the stats (again see the op).

Thanks

-BT

Remember when I said, "This isn't used to argue one way or the other (although the circle in Stillwater's a tad bigger ;) ), just thought it was interesting. And didn't know where else it could go."

That was cool when I said that.

Remember when I said, "This isn't used to argue one way or the other (although the circle in Stillwater's a tad bigger ;) ), just thought it was interesting. And didn't know where else it could go."

That was cool when I said that.

Neat. Are you still here? Double neat.

Edit: read what it says in the lower left corner of aggie's link.

Last edited:
Neat. Are you still here? Double neat.

Edit: read what it says in the lower left corner of aggie's link.

Yeesh! Do I need to bold and italicize it too? I was posting it as an interesting link.

The thing about the "bigger circle" was a joke.

You sure get riled up easily, sooner.

Edit-Another cool thing to do is to click the little decade filters, and see how successful some teams were over periods.

Last edited:
As soon as we get it complete (I still want to add some more stats), then I am going to send it to every major paper and radio show in the state.

What sucks is that there was some more really good stuff that got lost when OUI trashed a bunch of old files.

If you do send it out, get ready for a lot of resistance. And please share any snotty comments from the Ag-appeasers in the state's media. :ez-roll:

Wow, I missed this thread when it was orginally posted.

As much as we discredit the pre-Big 8 days and the NIT as being a better national title guage.

OSU still claims the National Titles. That's like only counting the Football BCS title games as the winners that count.

Wow, I missed this thread when it was orginally posted.

As much as we discredit the pre-Big 8 days and the NIT as being a better national title guage.

OSU still claims the National Titles. That's like only counting the Football BCS title games as the winners that count.

Again, the debate is not whether they can claim it, but whether it's useful in saying OSU is a better basketball program than OU. And the answer to that is no.

That's like only counting the Football BCS title games as the winners that count.

No, it would be like expecting modern-day football fans to be impressed by Bud Wilkinson's championships, if they were the only ones we 'd ever won and if, in most other ways, oswho had a football tradition that was superior to OU's.

When those dusty old titles are all you have to lord over your cross-state rival sixty-plus years down the road, it just might be time to stop bragging about them.

No, it would be like expecting modern-day football fans to be impressed by Bud Wilkinson's championships, if they were the only ones we 'd ever won and if, in most other ways, oswho had a football tradition that was superior to OU's.

When those dusty old titles are all you have to lord over your cross-state rival sixty-plus years down the road, it just might be time to stop bragging about them.

This!

:woot:clap:ford:chestram2:

Rack up another better conference finish, a 2-1 head to head, 30 win season, AA, and another elite 8 appearence for the the good guys!

Last edited:
I sure was hoping to add another Final Four notch to our belts, but it wasn't to be this season, alas.

The Oklahoman had the series listed at 123-89. I thought it was 124-88, in OU's favor. Is OSU still listing the 1980 game in Norman as a 91-82 win? That's the right score, but OU won that night (I was there - it was my senior year and all that).
What happened in the 1980 game to cause a discrepancy?

Back