<<<OU v. OSU All-Time (a comparison)>>>

What happened in the 1980 game to cause a discrepancy?

I've never been sure. OU definitely won the game, by that 91-82 score. But, Aggie media guides for years listed it as an OSU win. They did win the game at Upper-GI later that season, to snap a three-year losing streak against OU. And, OSU did sweep OU in Tubbs' first year.

It always struck me as odd that they either never fixed it, or took years to do so. My guess is that it wasn't something they wanted to hear from anyone connected with OU (that they didn't win in Norman in January of '80; unlike what they had listed in their records). Bad news, when coming from "gooners", is to be ignored, I guess - no matter how true it is.

Last edited:
BigTime,

You're a credit to this board and OU fans everywhere, but why do you not respect the accomplishments of your basketball team prior to 1958? Ultimately, it only weakens your argument.

BigTime,

You're a credit to this board and OU fans everywhere, but why do you not respect the accomplishments of your basketball team prior to 1958? Ultimately, it only weakens your argument.
Inception of Big 8. Clearly stated in the original post. Very clearly stated.

BigTime,

I won't respect any title that was in a period of segregation. That's just me.

BigTime,

For being in the know, you sure don't read well. The post includes stats going back all time.

Let me post it for you so you don't miss it this time, kind aggie.

So, you want to go back all-time? That is fine with me. All-Time Stats:

OU: All Time Record 1,468-936 (.611) OSU: 1452-1018 (.588).
126 Bedlam Wins 89
10 winning coaches 6
21 different All-Americans 17
22 Conference Championships 17
10/11 winning records against the Big 12 5/11
34 1000 point scorers 30
8 Oylmpic Appearences ?
40 NBA Draft Selections 32
26 NCAA appearences 23
32 Total Tournament appearences 31
157 100 point games 39
51 game home win streak 46
OU has spent more weeks in the AP Top 25 poll than OSU.
OU has had more winning seasons than OSU.
OU has a better all time home winning percentage than OSU.
OU has made it to 4 final fours (2 Championship games)

For being in the know, you sure don't read well. The post includes stats going back all time.

Let me post it for you so you don't miss it this time, kind aggie.

So, you want to go back all-time? That is fine with me. All-Time Stats:

OU: All Time Record 1,468-936 (.611) OSU: 1452-1018 (.588).
126 Bedlam Wins 89
10 winning coaches 6
21 different All-Americans 17
22 Conference Championships 17
10/11 winning records against the Big 12 5/11
34 1000 point scorers 30
8 Oylmpic Appearences ?
40 NBA Draft Selections 32
26 NCAA appearences 23
32 Total Tournament appearences 31
157 100 point games 39
51 game home win streak 46
OU has spent more weeks in the AP Top 25 poll than OSU.
OU has had more winning seasons than OSU.
OU has a better all time home winning percentage than OSU.
OU has made it to 4 final fours (2 Championship games)

100 point games?! That's a weird one to include.

I noticed on the Arizona boards that 4 or 5 posters said something to the effect of, "Capel will probably want to leave because he's tired of being overshadowed by Oklahoma State"

Prestige is all about perception.

I noticed on the Arizona boards that 4 or 5 posters said something to the effect of, "Capel will probably want to leave because he's tired of being overshadowed by Oklahoma State"

Exactly. Which is why aggies and sooners alike need to learn about the facts....the numbers.

I read all the time on the national boards where people place OU ahead of OSU so don't think that the entire country thinks like the 4 or 5 zona posters that are probably just wishfully thinking a way for Capel to leave OU....

I just thought the 100 point games was cool. You are right in that it doesn't mean much at all in comparing programs....

OSU claims they are a "basketball school" because their football program is a joke. Every college in America wants to have a top tier football program....and when that does not happen, they turn to hoops. Oklahoma State has been such a failure with football that this year, WHEN THEY LOST IN A 3RD TIER BOWL, it was arguably a top 5 football season of all time.

A "football school" like OU, LSU, Florida, or Notre Dame packs the house for crap teams like UT-Chat and Mid TN St every single time, and we will for Idaho St this year too. Other "Basketball schools" like Duke, UNC, Kentucky, and Kansas pack the house for every game against Prairie View A&M, and UNC-Wilmington, and Jacksonville St. OSU claims to be in this upper tier of basketball programs.....they don't support the program anymore like they used to. OU averaged more fans per game than OSU did this year.

Good football programs breed good basketball programs in my opinion. How many "basketball schools" have football teams that at least have decent seasons? Not very many. A lot of them are FCS football programs. But recently look at the success of the basketball programs at these "football schools"

Since 2000, Look how many "football schools have been in the final 4"
Football schools are in bold

2000- Michigan St, Florida, North Carolina, Wisconsin
2001- Michigan St, Duke, Maryland, Arizona
2002- Maryland, Indiana, Kansas, Oklahoma
2003- Syracuse, Kansas, Marquette, Texas
2004- Connecticut, Duke, Georgia Tech, Oklahoma State
2005- North Carolina, Illinois, Louisville, Michigan St
2006- Florida, UCLA, George Mason, LSU
2007- Florida, Ohio St., Georgetown, UCLA
2008- Kansas, Memphis, North Carolina, UCLA
2009- Connecticut, North Carolina, Villanova, Michigan St.

OSU has a pretty pathetic athletic department all around really. The other day I was on OP and there was an equestrian thread. With how bad their basketball teams have been the past 5 seasons or so, and with the continued decline in attendance to their games, I think they are quickly becoming, just like their thread, "An equestrian school"

Haha. I promise you that no one honestly thinks OSU basketball overshadows OU. They just made the NCAA tournament for the first time in 4 years and have lost 7 of the last 10 to OU. Not to mention the fact that they finish behind OU in the Big 12 virtually every year.

OSU comes up short in both prestige and perception. In fact, ESPN's prestige rankings last year had OU at #12 and OSU at #32. The gap has only widened since then with the 08-09 season.

Last edited:

Anywhere I have ever gone, OU is much more known than OSU. I remember watching the final four a few years ago when OSU was playing and people were in a Chicago bar talking about the Sooners playing in the game. I did not correct them.

OSU claims they are a "basketball school" because their football program is a joke. Every college in America wants to have a top tier football program....and when that does not happen, they turn to hoops. Oklahoma State has been such a failure with football that this year, WHEN THEY LOST IN A 3RD TIER BOWL, it was arguably a top 5 football season of all time.

A "football school" like OU, LSU, Florida, or Notre Dame packs the house for crap teams like UT-Chat and Mid TN St every single time, and we will for Idaho St this year too. Other "Basketball schools" like Duke, UNC, Kentucky, and Kansas pack the house for every game against Prairie View A&M, and UNC-Wilmington, and Jacksonville St. OSU claims to be in this upper tier of basketball programs.....they don't support the program anymore like they used to. OU averaged more fans per game than OSU did this year.

Good football programs breed good basketball programs in my opinion. How many "basketball schools" have football teams that at least have decent seasons? Not very many. A lot of them are FCS football programs. But recently look at the success of the basketball programs at these "football schools"

Since 2000, Look how many "football schools have been in the final 4"
Football schools are in bold

2000- Michigan St, Florida, North Carolina, Wisconsin
2001- Michigan St, Duke, Maryland, Arizona
2002- Maryland, Indiana, Kansas, Oklahoma
2003- Syracuse, Kansas, Marquette, Texas
2004- Connecticut, Duke, Georgia Tech, Oklahoma State
2005- North Carolina, Illinois, Louisville, Michigan St
2006- Florida, UCLA, George Mason, LSU
2007- Florida, Ohio St., Georgetown, UCLA
2008- Kansas, Memphis, North Carolina, UCLA
2009- Connecticut, North Carolina, Villanova, Michigan St.

OSU has a pretty pathetic athletic department all around really. The other day I was on OP and there was an equestrian thread. With how bad their basketball teams have been the past 5 seasons or so, and with the continued decline in attendance to their games, I think they are quickly becoming, just like their thread, "An equestrian school"

Good post. I will say that MOST (but not all) schools only choose basketball because they don't have a good football program (UK, Kansas, Duke, and UNC come to mind to name a some...).

That's an impressive number of "football" schools that have made it to the FF!

OSU has a pretty pathetic athletic department all around really.
The other day I was on OP and there was an equestrian thread. With how bad their basketball teams have been the past 5 seasons or so, and with the continued decline in attendance to their games, I think they are quickly becoming, just like their thread, "An equestrian school"

How do you figure that? OSU is currently having success in essentially every men's sport.

Football - Bowl Game, 9 win season.
Basketball - 2nd round of the NCAA tournament
Cross country and track - The best American amateur runner in 20 years, and possibly ever (German Fernandez)
Wrestling - A down year, but historically a top 3 program
Baseball - Top 15 team
Golf - Has placed 3rd or higher in 5 of 6 tournaments.
Tennis - Top 25 team with the #1 ranked singles player in the nation (Oleksandr Nedovyesov)

Even in women's sports, a Big XII championship in both soccer and Equestrian.

Last edited:
How do you figure that? OSU is currently having success in essentially every men's sport.

Football - Bowl Game, 9 win season.
Basketball - 2nd round of the NCAA tournament
Cross country and track - The best American amateur runner in 20 years, and possibly ever (German Fernandez)
Wrestling - A down year, but historically a top 3 program
Baseball - Top 15 team
Golf - Has placed 3rd or higher in 5 of 6 tournaments.
Tennis - Top 25 team with the #1 ranked singles player in the nation (Oleksandr Nedovyesov)

Even in women's sports, a Big XII championship in both soccer and Equestrian.

Is that you Holder?

As CBS included in thier trivia, Okla A&M was the first school to go to back to back Final Fours. They said it not me.

I forgot, our NCs don't count.

As CBS included in thier trivia, Okla A&M was the first school to go to back to back Final Fours. They said it not me.

I forgot, our NCs don't count.

Ok......well it's been 65 years.....

Back