OU won recruiting battles... now is it Mike Boynton rolling the dice?

thebigabd

Reaction score
His team lost:

Kendall Smith
Tavarius Shine
Yankuba Sima
Mitchell Solomon
Jeff Carroll
Brandon Averette

And he is holding out for this Courtney Ramey fella, who's situation seems shady at best. He has signed 3 post players and no guards, and in his interview the other day he said that Weathers is more of a shooting guard than point guard but can easily play the "1"...

I am sure he will put a team together but if they strike out on Ramey I am sure Bandoo and Torres will already be gone.... Leaving him to fill the spot at the 11th hour.

Devonte Bandoo from Hutch CC, 2.5 hours away from Stillwater. No call, no offer, no visit. That is from Bandoo himself. He listed the schools who have contacted him. He is now down to South Carolina or Virginia Tech. So Frank Martin, Kelvin Sampson, Tim Jankovich, Bruce Weber, and Buzz Williams think the kid is worth their time but Boynton, with a depleted roster, shows no interest.

Ricky Torres from Missouri West Plains... 4.5 hours away from Stillwater. Now has offers from Wichita State, Auburn, Virginia Tech, Washington State, etc. The latest to jump on was Bruce Pearl. 6'3'' point guard who had 268 assists last year while still averaging 17 points per game, and shoots 43% from the 3pt line... Bruce Pearl, Buzz Williams, Greg Marshall, etc are recruiting this guy but a coach without a single point guard on his roster has shown no interest. No calls, no visits, etc. Not even as a backup plan.

This will be really interesting to see how Bandoo, Trice, Torres, Gatling, Miricevic, and a few other of these "area" guys do next year... The reason I am tracking these particular guys so close is because OU has shown interest in several of them (and I am fine with the guys OU got instead) so we were tracking, but also because guys like hoopsaustin and a few others accuse me of cherry picking players after we see they did well in D1 like Vladimir Broadziwhatever, guy from Baylor, Shakur Juiston, etc and then dog the coaches for not having recruited them.

Yes I believe he is gambling on the guard position. They went all in on Courtney Ramey. He is a top 40 player they will have to ride it out. OSU has 4 scholarships left I believe they will try and finish their class with these players.

1)PG Courtney Ramey or Isaac Likekele
2)SF Ed Chang
3)PG Mike Cunningham (grad transfer)
4)PF/C Wyatt Walker (Grad transfer)

Yes I believe he is gambling on the guard position. They went all in on Courtney Ramey. He is a top 40 player they will have to ride it out. OSU has 4 scholarships left I believe they will try and finish their class with these players.

1)PG Courtney Ramey or Isaac Likekele
2)SF Ed Chang
3)PG Mike Cunningham (grad transfer)
4)PF/C Wyatt Walker (Grad transfer)

They didn't make the final cut for some guy from A&M Corpus Christi they were going after.

Boynton got Cunningham.

So that leaves:

1) A Freshman Guard either Courtney Ramey, Amir Harris or Isaac Likekele
2) Edward Chang if they can get him to visit.
3) Wyatt Walker is down to OSU or NC State

Dont think they get Ramey...

Walker can play.

Looks like they are not going to get Ramey, and as you just mentioned Wyatt Walker is off to NC State. They picked up Cunningham so they got a 1 year rental on a guard.

Very interesting....

Looks like they are not going to get Ramey, and as you just mentioned Wyatt Walker is off to NC State. They picked up Cunningham so they got a 1 year rental on a guard.

Very interesting....

Ramey to the horns.

OSU has gotten an LOI from Maurice Calloo and is expected to Land Rivals top 150 player Isaac Likele later today.

So has OU won recruiting battles, like the title says?

Yes, with Calixte and Reynolds OU can now field a functional basketball team next year. OSU kept holding out for Ramey and other D1 transfers. They picked up one from Pacific, Mike Cunningham. He is a combo guard so they will likely go into the season with 3 combo guards who will shift around at PG.

They have problems in the paint as well... but signed 3 high school post players. None of them are very highly sought after from what I can tell.

Yes, with Calixte and Reynolds OU can now field a functional basketball team next year. OSU kept holding out for Ramey and other D1 transfers. They picked up one from Pacific, Mike Cunningham. He is a combo guard so they will likely go into the season with 3 combo guards who will shift around at PG.

They have problems in the paint as well... but signed 3 high school post players. None of them are very highly sought after from what I can tell.

no but they have good pieces and MB does a really good job.

Weathers and the other transfer that had to sit a year will be their keys.

4 High school post players. One was a former Xavier Commit, the one that signed yesterday was recruited by Florida, Kansas St, Illinois, Mississippi st and Providence.

and they're expecting to sign a top 150 point guard today.

4 High school post players. One was a former Xavier Commit, the one that signed yesterday was recruited by Florida, Kansas St, Illinois, Mississippi st and Providence.

and they're expecting to sign a top 150 point guard today.

Are they actually signing or are both just verbal commits?

PG: Michael Weathers
SG: Mike Cunningham
SG: Lindy Waters
PF: Cameron McGriff
C: 4 different players rotating around

They will be pretty solid I think. Especially if Weathers is as legit as he seems to be.

I would agree, except OU has made very little headway in 2019 recruiting. Harmon, and no one else. Missing out on making HIS TEAMMATE'S top 6 should almost be criminal. OU has so many scholarships for 2019, and I have no heard of any 2019 targets on here that are realistic.

Mike Cunningham is transferring from USC-Upstate. Sooners transfer Miles Reynolds is from Pacific. OU chose Reynolds over Cunningham.

Both Rivals and 247Sports has OSU’s recruiting class rated ahead of OUs. But go ahead and bash Boynton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both Rivals and 247Sports has OSU’s recruiting class rated ahead of OUs. But go ahead and bash Boynton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well yes.... because of math.

Rivals has 5 players rated for OSU, OU has 2

247 has 4 OSU players rated, OU has 1

So based upon pure number of recruits, OSU will have obtained more points and thus ranked higher.

You can also make the argument OU has the higher player rating and star average on those sites, which means a higher quality of player being recruited.

I'll hold off all opinions on players and who's the better recruiter until they hit the court this fall

Back