OUHoops Exclusive >>> 2012 Prospect Zach Peters

OUHoops

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Zach Peters is a name to remember
By OUHoops.com Staff

At 6-foot-8 and 219 pounds, Zach Peters often looks like a man among boys on the hardwood. The 2012 Plano Prestonwood Christian standout has been a name at the top of recruiting site boards since he was in 7th grade. His bulky build and ability to do the dirty work down low have led many to peg him as a player destined to play in the paint at the next level. But don't let his physique fool you. Peters uses an advanced skill set and guard-like agility to play inside and out.

"I am a post-up and outside player," Peters said. "I can play down low, but also like to drive it and take people off the dribble. I'd say that I am more of a small forward, but I can play the center too."

Peters put up a gaudy stat line last year to the tune of 17.4 points, 10.8 rebounds and 2.2 assists per game as a freshman. This season, the loaded Lions will no doubt be a force in the TAPPS (Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools) league.

"We are loaded this year. And we are looking to winning a title."

When asked what he is working on in order to take his offensive game to the next level, Zach stated simply, "ball handling and shooting."

While it's early in the game, there has been no shortage of recruiting letters and coaches hoping to get a jumpstart on landing Peters. While he didn't have a definite top five at this time, he listed some teams that have been recruiting him the hardest during the summer:

"I would say Texas, North Carolina, Kansas, Oklahoma and Ilinois," Peters told OUHoops.com. "I have no idea when I will make my decision. I am just along for the journey at this time."

The University of Oklahoma offers something unique in Peter's recruitment.

"My coach went there."

Indeed, former Sooner star and third all time scoring leader, Jeff Webster, played at OU from 1989-94. Coach Webster has been coaching Zach since he was in grade school. The two have a close bond, and often work on drills even during the AAU offseason.

Zach also offered his thoughts on the Sooners head man, Jeff Capel. "I love Coach Capel. He is a great coach that really interacts with his players. He builds more of like a relationship with them. OU is one of my top schools."

Scouting Report: Currently projects as a high major. He is a man amongst boys in his class. He has a great combination of skill, strength and intelligence on the court. Really nice rotation on his jumpshot. Has the handles and shooting range to be a wing at the next level, but would need to continue to work on lateral quickness to be able to defend at that position. A hard worker on the court that has a good attitude towards the game. Runs the floor well. Knows angles on the offensive end, and uses this to make up for any lack of leaping explosiveness. Aggressive on the glass on both ends. Really fine passer for his size and has a nice demeanor off the court.

Check out this highlight video from OUHoopsTV.com of Zach Peters taken from this year's GASO tournament and Back-to-school Shootout tournament. Stay tuned in to OUHoops.com for more updates.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYGi2ohsHwo[/ame]

Sam Duren and Jeff Weber also contributed to this report.

Great stuff...I love this stuff...

Hopefully we can bring in two Peters in 2012...

Zach is a kid that I have wanted for over a year now. Apparently, he put on a show at the OU Elite camp two years ago. Hopefully, he will want to follow in his coach's footsteps. Sounds like a really good kid. :clap

Call me impressed! Are you sure this kid is a freshman? lol He's already as big as his high school coach was when he arrived at OU. He appears to be a nice combination of size, strength and skills. A man among boys, indeed! I sure hope Coach Webster can stir him our way!!!

Great interview, Henzo. Thanks!

Back