OT: Football Talk

Trace Ford?!? Zero chance he would have been invited last year. Less than zero. As for Farooq, he was probably public enemy number one among OU fans by the end of last season. Apparently his stock is rising in people’s eyes by not playing.

This program is in serious trouble whether people want to admit it or not. Texas played poorly today. Ewers looked hurt and/or uncertain, yet they blew us out because our offense is simply atrocious, our defense couldn’t tackle when the game was still on the line, and our coach continues to screw up basic game management issues week after week. The offense will never be fixed unless Brent hires a competent OC, but even that won’t fix the game management stuff because that lies at the feet of the head coach.
It is pretty unbelievable that Venables had millions and millions of dollars to find the best OC he could and he went with SL.

The game management stuff is annoying but it’s not make or break. Is it a problem? Yea. But his biggest problem right now is the awful hire of SL. It is the worst offense I’ve ever seen from a major collegiate level. I’m of the camp he needs to fire SL atleast to give the impression he is trying to fix the problem. It truly cannot get worse.
I think they are equally important issues. Game management cost us a win in Lawrence last year when we were undefeated and in good position to make the playoffs. That stuff always comes back to haunt you eventually if it’s an issue every game, and it has been for us. Don’t get me wrong, I fully agree with what you say about our offense. It is like watching a high school team from 1990 when teams played as if it was illegal to throw a pass more than five yards beyond the line of scrimmage. But this team does so many things poorly that don’t have anything to do with the OC. Presnap penalties. Special team mistakes. Poor tackling. Late decisions on whether to go for it or kick. You could hire the best OC on the planet but all those issues would remain as long as Brent is the head coach. And don’t even get me started on roster management as I watch Dillon Gabriel play great against OSU.

I can't help but think that BV was so focused on improving the defense, he neglected the offense (as regards finances, staffing, NIL and overall focus). But he needs to snap out of it now.

I never wanted us to go to the SEC. Then I didn't want us to go a year early--I didn't think we we'd ready. Then I didn't want us to wave goodbye to DG and put all our NIL eggs in JA's basket--I didn't think JA was ready. I've rarely been more sorry to be right (on the latter two points).

I can't help but think that BV was so focused on improving the defense, he neglected the offense (as regards finances, staffing, NIL and overall focus). But he needs to snap out of it now.

I never wanted us to go to the SEC. Then I didn't want us to go a year early--I didn't think we we'd ready. Then I didn't want us to wave goodbye to DG and put all our NIL eggs in JA's basket--I didn't think JA was ready. I've rarely been more sorry to be right (on the latter two points).
This. Having a DC as bout head coach is cool until he spends 1/4 of your portal budget on a single DT

It is pretty unbelievable that Venables had millions and millions of dollars to find the best OC he could and he went with SL.
Honestly some of the worst play calling and even worse play design I have ever seen.

I agree mostly. Brent’s hiring of Seth looks lazy, like he thought the offense would be fine because his defense would save the day. It was a huge miscalculation and now he’s in trouble. The whole offensive staff is poorly put together. He’s meticulous about the defense and complacent about the offense. That’s not going to work.

Offense totally inept and make it worse by still running hurry up--why?????????? We needed to take as few offensive snaps as possible in the longest time possible. Hawkins looked lost, not surprising for a true frosh. And where does a back up KOR man who I've never seen before get the idea its ok to run a kick back? Out of the end zone especially?
It was a miserable day, hot, my seats i thought would be in the shade wouldn't be- great for an 1100 KO like last year, this year not so much. Concessions ran out of water in second quarter. Nearly had a fight with fair personnel trying to get out of the north end because of the train fiasco.
But here's the deal- when one of my "friends" posted that "anyone who went to Dallas thinking we would win deserves what they get"- my answer was
I didn't think we would win. But I didn't think that last year, or John Blake's first year, or lots of other times. But did I think we could win-yes. Always.

I supported the hiring of Seth. Jackson Arnold was supposed to be a star, and after how devastating losing Caleb was, I didn't want to do it again. The continuity also helped retain Hawkins, who I have high hopes for as well. He'd been the playcaller at Arizona, Indiana, and UNC, so it didn't feel like he was new to playcalling. UNT had some very good offenses, but I didn't realize he had handed off the playcalling. I as NOT a fan of promoting JJF.

It looks like things went horrendously wrong. It's really tough to succeed with a freshman QB, a bad OL, and 5 WRs out. But you have to be able to do better than this. Especially with two weeks to prep.

So you think at least six OU defenders will get invited to this year’s combine? I’ll take that bet right now.

As for the WRs, at most one of those guys would be invited.

I never said anything about six defenders going to the combine this year. I do think we have guys at every level that will go to the NFL.

DL: Terry, WIlliams. Probably Jackson. Likely a few youngster we haven't seen much of yet
LB: Stutsman, Kip. Maybe Kobie as a late rounder and I expect a big year from Lewis Carter next year
DB: Bowman, Gentry, Bowen. Not sure about Dolby being NFL, but he was our best college DB before injury.

By that count, it's 7 defensive guys already NFL ready (not including the youngsters I expect to develop). Pretty soon, we'll have NFL guys at every position.

I never said anything about six defenders going to the combine this year. I do think we have guys at every level that will go to the NFL.

DL: Terry, WIlliams. Probably Jackson. Likely a few youngster we haven't seen much of yet
LB: Stutsman, Kip. Maybe Kobie as a late rounder and I expect a big year from Lewis Carter next year
DB: Bowman, Gentry, Bowen. Not sure about Dolby being NFL, but he was our best college DB before injury.

By that count, it's 7 defensive guys already NFL ready (not including the youngsters I expect to develop). Pretty soon, we'll have NFL guys at every position.
Well my comment was about combine invites this season, which is a big indicator of the talent level in a program. Your response made me think you were suggesting more guys than not would be invited, so I thought you meant more than half the starting defense.

I am pleased with the defensive progress, but it’s still not close to elite. The way I think of it is this: under Riley, our defense was atrocious, but we were a playoff team more years than not because our offense was truly elite. Now, our offense is an abomination, and while our D is good, it isn’t nearly good enough to shut down good teams for 4 quarters. Yesterday is a good example. We actually had the edge in time of possession, so it’s not like our defense was exhausted. But after a good 20-25 minutes, we started missing a lot of tackles and ended up giving up 400+ yards and 34 points to a team that didn’t even play all that well. Maybe the defense will continue to improve and reach the elite level, but that will only happen if Venables can become a competent offensive coach. I just don’t see how this is sustainable. This weekend seemed to be a tipping point of sorts. I read multiple articles in national publications talking about how poor a job Brent is doing. If we lose Saturday, and that’s very possible if not probable, the wheels could come off.

I don't really understand harping on the game time decisions when there is a heck of a lot more to be concerned about.
We talking about timeouts? Really? Just makes it sound like you have it out for BV like you do PM.
Go watch more college football

FOr the offense, it really is perplexing how SL is so bad because he was decent at his other stops. And maybe we are average if we are healthy. But I've seen enough and want him gone. Along with Bedenbaugh. Dude has been mediocre for far too long and always gets a pass.

I agree with this. I think some donors will pony up to get some OL. Again the receiver injuries are just crazy. I like BV & want him to be the HC, but he has made some loyalty hires that have been bad. I’d like to see that stop.
This is an honest question. Why do you “like” him? And I’m not directing this at just you, because it’s a very common view among the fan base. He talks big and knows how to use the media to his advantage, but I’m not sure how that makes someone likable. Personally, I’d rather have a coach who doesn’t come in spouting meaningless buzzwords and talking about his SOUL mission and uncommon and all that crap. Every coach in the country talks about culture and identity, and I’d say that for about 95 percent, it’s all just talk. We are the perfect example. What is our actual identity? The things so many people complained about when Riley left were our lack of toughness, lack of discipline, and lack of attention to details. Has any of that improved at all? If Brent had actually instilled the culture he hypes so much, we wouldn’t be where we are.

I honestly cringe every time the guy talks to the media. I hate the fact that he makes himself front and center. I can’t stand the cheesy slogans. I don’t care about the suits the guys wear on game day. I don’t want the team to name 15 guys captain on a weekly basis. Do your damn job as head coach. Find competent assistants, learn how to manage a game, and please, put your best damn players on the field. Saturday was so bad that I almost forgot that in the second quarter, when things completely fell apart, we had backups in the game at a lot of defensive positions.

The crazy thing is that at a time when it seems just about every team is capable of putting scares into top teams, we haven’t even been competitive against the two good teams we have played. I mean, Florida is almost guaranteed to fire their coach, and had looked incompetent for much of the season. But they have improved and went in and nearly beat Tennessee on the road. That Tennessee team has turned out to be not nearly as good as people thought, yet they barely had to break a sweat beating us. Bama, Mizzou, and Mississippi are all much more vulnerable than expected, too, yet does anyone think we have a realistic chance to win those games?

I don't really understand harping on the game time decisions when there is a heck of a lot more to be concerned about.
We talking about timeouts? Really? Just makes it sound like you have it out for BV like you do PM.
Go watch more college football

FOr the offense, it really is perplexing how SL is so bad because he was decent at his other stops. And maybe we are average if we are healthy. But I've seen enough and want him gone. Along with Bedenbaugh. Dude has been mediocre for far too long and always gets a pass.
Again, the game management cost us a great shot at a playoff spot last year. If you think his flaws in that area are minor issues, you aren’t paying attention. And it’s also something that is directly under his control. Also, we gave up a touchdown Saturday on a play where our 11th defender was barely running onto the field at the snap. Is that a trivial matter, too?

Text from a friend of a friend says Seth Littrell being fired today. We will see what happens.
Would be a good start, but do we trust Brent to get the next hire right? Think of what a massive failure Brent will have been on two of the most important decisions a head coach has to make: selecting a QB and hiring an OC. I hope that if he doesn't get it right this time, it is the last major decision he makes before he is the one to suffer the consequences rather than people working under him.

If Littrell gets fired who takes over? Usually this time of the year someone get's promoted to finish out the year.

Hopefully you promote Johns and find a proper candidate in the offseason. Being Bottom 10 in EPA and the worst P4 offense, is not a good look.

Would be a good start, but do we trust Brent to get the next hire right? Think of what a massive failure Brent will have been on two of the most important decisions a head coach has to make: selecting a QB and hiring an OC. I hope that if he doesn't get it right this time, it is the last major decision he makes before he is the one to suffer the consequences rather than people working under him.
If Venables goes 6-6 this year I expect his seat to be warm. I don't want him to clean house on offense but Littrell & Finley have to go. If they let go of 1-2 more I'd be okay with that too. I do disagree whoever said Bedenbough needs to go. This line is horrible but that's lack of talent, I thought they were insanely improved against Texas. Still not good, but improved.

Back