Outstanding Big 12 coaches revisited

jwg

Reaction score
Several days ago a thread was started onthis topic. Unfortunately it was hijacked by a rather fruitless discussion about the development of James Anderson and Blake Griffen. This discussion at best was subjective.

I think Denver sooner suggested a series of criteria- National Championships, Final fours, sweet 16's , records in NCAA , conference championships, Conference tournament championships, overall record. THe consensus was that Self was the best big 12 coach, that Barnes was second, and with the rest there was insufficient data to tell. I agree with this consensus, and will illustrate this with comparison to two successful OU coaches Samson and Tubbs. The records are at the Big 12 school with the exception of Self who has coached at Kansas for less than half the years of the other 3 coaches.

Self 1 1 4 14-5 6-0-0 5 3 0.809
Self* including Illinois and Tulsa
1 1 7 24-10 11-0-1 8 4 0.733-0.809

Barnes 0 1 5 17-11 11-0-0 3 0 0.720
Samson 0 1 3 11-11 11-1-0 1 3 0.719
Tubbs 0 1 4 14-9 9 -4-1 4 3 0.716
Tubbs and Barnes each had one sweet 16 at another school. The one year Tubbs missed a post season game was his first at OU while the one year Self missed post season was his first year at Tulsa.

I think these data make a conclusive argument for Self as the most successful coach. More sweet 16's a better NCAA record Better conference record higher winning % a national championship , a slightly better record in conference tournaments.

Among the other coaches it is a dead heat Barnes has the better record in terms of NCAA performence, has had no really off years, and the most sweet 16's Tubbs has a superior record in terms of conference performence ,He is tied in regard to conference tournament championships. Tubbs has had more off years- his initial year which I discounted, but missing the NCAA 4 times at OU was not good, although he played in the post season everly year after the NCAA. The closeness of the overall winning percentage has convinced me that the group are essentially the same.

Of the other coaches, I favor Anderson two sweet 16's. one at Mo and another at UAB

Back