Palo Duro's Michael Cobbins (2010 PF)

BigTime

The Red Wig
Reaction score
Someone that has started to emerge as one of the better prospects in Texas for his class. He played at the same High School as ABBJ. Might be a late bloomer that Sooners decide to get in on.

He plays for the New Mexico Force. Arizona, New Mexico, and Tech are in on him.

-01-31-2009-23-55-19.jpg

Good pic of him from the aau website

That is true that A.J. (Austins Dad) is the coach of the Palo Duro girls and Michael Cobbins mother is the coach of the freshman girls. OU might want to keep Michael on their recruiting radar because he is a very talented young man. He is like most highschool is that he has grown so fast that he needs to add weight and strength. He has another year to bulk up so bet it will happen.

That is true that A.J. (Austins Dad) is the coach of the Palo Duro girls and Michael Cobbins mother is the coach of the freshman girls. OU might want to keep Michael on their recruiting radar because he is a very talented young man. He is like most highschool is that he has grown so fast that he needs to add weight and strength. He has another year to bulk up so bet it will happen.

Everybody in Amarillo is AJ thin. It's the Big Tex steakhouse syndrome. Everyone is afraid to eat there.

Thanks, TX. I think he will be in Norman for the Sooner Cager, so I will have to check him out.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_o08TUKTzs"]Here is some video of the kid.[/ame] I watched him play several times this past school year. Impressive player. I would think he will be more highly sought by Big 12 schools by the time next school season rolls around, especially if he does well this summer. By all accounts a great kid too.

Thanks for posting the video, buck13! I sure liked what I saw in the highlights. He's quick off his feet and appears to have a great work ethic, plus he's a lefty and that gives him a natural advantage as a shot blocker.

I hope OU has taken notice of Mr. Cobbins, because he has the appearance of being a high profile recruit if he continues to improve. Anyone know if the Sooners are recruiting this kid? OU is not on his Scout or Rivals list.

New Mexico Force is probably the top AAU team in New Mexico along with Danny Granger's Hurricanes...interesting he plays for an AAU team out of Albuquerque, Amarillo isn't exactly around the corner.

Unfortunately Amarillo (the panhandle at large) doesn't have whatever is necessary to form a formidable AAU team. I'm not necessarily saying talent. But maybe just someone to organize it and pump the money into it. I know someone has begun trying to take that first step this year, but who knows how that could turn out.

Unfortunately Amarillo (the panhandle at large) doesn't have whatever is necessary to form a formidable AAU team. I'm not necessarily saying talent. But maybe just someone to organize it and pump the money into it. I know someone has begun trying to take that first step this year, but who knows how that could turn out.

I agree...but as a native New Mexican, I would head to Dallas or Oklahoma first, you have to be a really solid prospect for your team to get noticed. But it sounds like Cobbins is just that.

Talking about wingspan. WOW! :boomer:sooner Baby!!!

I agree. It will be interesting to see what kind of interest that Capel will have with this kid. Seems like a hidden gem with some good potential.

Meyer mentioned Cobbins today in his report from the NBA camp.

Michael Cobbins (2010 power forward) - The athletic lefty continuously stood out with his active play. He finished with authority in transition and in the half court when he was repeatedly set up by the high-level passing of Kendall Marshall.

I wonder if AJ could help us out here since they went to the same high school?

Back