Mark Turgeon
Frank Martin

Tier 3
Travis Ford
Scott Drew
Fred Hoiberg

(Missouri is unknown right now)

Look about right to you guys?

Gillispie is not tier 1. He has won 3 NCAA tournament games in his career. He is on par with Scott Drew until he proves otherwise.

Tier 1
Self
Kruger
Barnes

Tier 2
Martin
Turgeon
Drew
Gillispie

Tier 3
Hillbilly Ford

Too Early to Tell
Hoiberg

Last edited:
Tier 1
Bill Self
Rick Barnes
Lon Kruger
Billy Gillespie

Tier 2
Mark Turgeon
Frank Martin

Tier 3
Travis Ford
Scott Drew
Fred Hoiberg

That seems about right, although one could make the argument that Billy Clyde is sandwiched between Tier 1 and Tier 2. And I think its premature to rate Hoiberg at this point.

Man, the Big 12 is loaded with coaches.

I'm not so sure that Frank Martin shouldn't be sniffing Tier 1 status, I think that he's a good 'un...

Love his passion, although his eyes will scare ya to death!

as much as I like Frank if you're gonna "tier" these guys then Frank and Travis both belong in the second group. The Mayor and Scotty go to 3.

don't get the bcg love. was given the keys to a rolls royce & ran it off the road.

BCG has been to the tournament 4 out of 7 years and 2 that he missed were rebuilding years at new schools. He is a tier 1 coach.

don't get the bcg love. was given the keys to a rolls royce & ran it off the road.

To be fair that was during this stage of his life.

25939419_medium.jpg

I think Self is on the top tier by his lonesome.

I think Self is on the top tier by his lonesome.

There are other Tier 1 coaches that dont have Tier 1 jobs. He is a great coach with the easiest job in the league.

There are other Tier 1 coaches that dont have Tier 1 jobs. He is a great coach with the easiest job in the league.

I just think his previous body of work is more impressive than every other coach in the league, and as far as coaching ability is a step above everyone else in the conference.

I agree that he has the easiest job in the league, but I mean the guy hasn't been 2nd at KU since 2003-2004. That is incredibly, incredibly impressive.

Tier 1
Bill Self
Rick Barnes
Lon Kruger
Billy Gillespie

Tier 2
Mark Turgeon
Frank Martin

Tier 3
Travis Ford
Scott Drew
Fred Hoiberg

I'd take Turgeon and Martin over BCG. Turgeon basically is Gillespie without the baggage.

I just think his previous body of work is more impressive than every other coach in the league, and as far as coaching ability is a step above everyone else in the conference.

I agree that he has the easiest job in the league, but I mean the guy hasn't been 2nd at KU since 2003-2004. That is incredibly, incredibly impressive.

Agreed. Not only is he statistically the most successful coach in KU history (that speaks for itself) but he also flourished at TU and Illinois. Not to mention he completely turned around ORU.

He is the best regular season coach in the country. And is very legit in the tournament as well. As far as the Big 12 is concerned, he is in a class of his own.

as much as I like Frank if you're gonna "tier" these guys then Frank and Travis both belong in the second group. The Mayor and Scotty go to 3.

And what in the heck has Ford done to put himself ahead of Drew?
Won exactly ONE NCAA game in 12 years as a D1 coach?
Color me impressed.
OSU is paying a guy $1.8 million who never even took UMass to the NCAAs.

And what in the heck has Ford done to put himself ahead of Drew?
Won exactly ONE NCAA game in 12 years as a D1 coach?
Color me impressed.
OSU is paying a guy $1.8 million who never even took UMass to the NCAAs.

UMASS wasn't bubbling with success when Ford got there. The only coach that did more with UMASS than Ford was Calipari.

With the talent level that Drew has "recruited" there isn't any reason for him to go a year without even the NIT.

Drew is probably the worst game day coach in the league. I only saw probably, because I'm not ready to pass judgement on Hoiberg, yet.

Back