Pokes appeal denied

We don’t know what KU will get. But let’s not forget that KU took a different approach and chose to fight the allegations at every turn. Maybe that will work for them, maybe it won’t. In general, cooperating hasn’t paid off in recent years … see OSU and Mizzou. And the death penalty is just not realistic and no one should expect it. It’s never happened in basketball and never will.

The way I see it, it is almost like a defendant charged with a crime. If you plead guilty, you’re sure to get some punishment, but you hope to avoid the worst. If you go to trial, you have a chance of getting off completely, but also run the risk of getting the hammer dropped. KU is forcing the NCAA to prove its case, and the NCAA isn’t exactly a well-run entity.

No doubt that was KU's strategy and if they are found guilty, they should receive a much tougher penalty for fighting the allegations.

Fine the coaches. Fine the university.

Banning from the NCAA Tournament does nothing but punish the kids who were in like 9th grade at the time.

A school could never be punished if you don't do it to the current team. FYI OSU doesn't have a single player that didn't know this probation was out there.

The guy who was busted was named associate head coach with Boynton who referred to him as his brother.

I believe punishment used as a deterrent must be harsh, even if delayed. The kids knew this was hanging out there. I strongly believe having this ruling last spring or if it was for the following school year instead of this one, would have allowed the masses to transfer! Timing matters if you want a deterrent. A substantial fine for losing an appeal would be nice going forward.

Two things can be true:

1. This is the punishment OSU deserves; and

2. The NCAA is a feckless organization.

I think the big problem here is the NCAA's failure to act swiftly, harshly, and even handedly the minute the news of this scandal broke. If this postseason ban was handed down for the 2018 tournament, no one would have much to say about it. But by letting this drag on for literally years, they open the door to these arguments about "punishing the wrong people" and uneven enforcement favoring marquee programs.

I will say that this looks like really bad news for KU. Although it's taking way too long, this does signal a willingness by the NCAA to stand its ground on these cases. Worse for KU, I think their scorched earth approach to defending themselves in this case will ultimately cause them a lot of problems. The NCAA needs to send a message that this approach carries a massive downside risk. Like death penalty level risk.

Two things can be true:

1. This is the punishment OSU deserves; and

2. The NCAA is a feckless organization.

I think the big problem here is the NCAA's failure to act swiftly, harshly, and even handedly the minute the news of this scandal broke. If this postseason ban was handed down for the 2018 tournament, no one would have much to say about it. But by letting this drag on for literally years, they open the door to these arguments about "punishing the wrong people" and uneven enforcement favoring marquee programs.

I will say that this looks like really bad news for KU. Although it's taking way too long, this does signal a willingness by the NCAA to stand its ground on these cases. Worse for KU, I think their scorched earth approach to defending themselves in this case will ultimately cause them a lot of problems. The NCAA needs to send a message that this approach carries a massive downside risk. Like death penalty level risk.

Great post Zim....both are true.

I always believed that if a coach cheats or breaks NCAA rules gets fired the ncaa penalties should follow him/her to another that hires him/her..that might slow things down a little

Claraficaton of the facts:

OSU didn't know about that the assistant coach was out to benefit himself fiancially when he was brought in by the previous coach.

OSU didn't break the rules. Despite monitoring and safeguards, the assistant coach did everything he could to hide his actions from everyone.

OSU cooperated with the FBI and the NCAA in their investigations fully.

Blaming OSU for something that a rogue coach did to only benefit himself and not the school is tantamount to punishing a school if a coach went out and robbed a bank. The school had no control over his actions.

Lamont Evans did nothing to benefit OSU in breaking the rules. His intent was to only benefit Lamont Evans.

Please don't let rivalry get in the way of looking at the facts.

OSU didn't know about that the assistant coach was out to benefit himself fiancially when he was brought in by the previous coach.

OSU didn't break the rules. Despite monitoring and safeguards, the assistant coach did everything he could to hide his actions from everyone.

Blaming OSU for something that a rogue coach did to only benefit himself and not the school is tantamount to punishing a school if a coach went out and robbed a bank. The school had no control over his actions.

Lamont Evans did nothing to benefit OSU in breaking the rules. His intent was to only benefit Lamont Evans.

LOL

:ez-laugh::ez-laugh::ez-laugh::ez-laugh::ez-laugh::ez-laugh::ez-laugh:

LOL

:ez-laugh::ez-laugh::ez-laugh::ez-laugh::ez-laugh::ez-laugh::ez-laugh:

I get it, I do. And if it happened to OU, there would be OSU fans that would laugh as well. But if they do, I'd like to think at least they'd say "man, OU really got screwed on that".

Eddie, I’m in the overwhelming minority, but I’m on the Pokes side with this. It’s not that I don’t think they did anything wrong, it’s just that I asked myself: “If this was Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina or Kansas, what is the percentage of chance they would have received the same punishment?” Since the answer is an unequivocal ZERO PERCENT chance, and I hate hypocrisy, I think the sentence should have been lighter.

Wheres your support for these purported facts of yours? Methinks those are your gut feelings, but alas, not facts.

Wheres your support for these purported facts of yours? Methinks those are your gut feelings, but alas, not facts.

So you're saying OSU wanted Lamont Evans to try to make money on the side with something illegally that did nothing to help the school and would in fact put them in jeopardy?

The NCAA ruling released Friday said Evans received at least $18,150 in bribes from financial advisers to influence student-athletes. The November notice named Marty Blazer and Munish Sood as the two advisors who offered Evans money in exchange for setting up meetings with at least two players, including one from a previous coaching stop (South Carolina) in an attempt to influence the players to retain their services.

One of those players received $300 from Evans, had to go through the reinstatement process to become eligible after the payment and then had to hire an attorney to be questioned by the FBI.

https://tulsaworld.com/sports/colle...cle_e88e46e8-165d-5cb0-8ea0-97c8b65d4b91.html

That player was an OSU player....this was the penalty they were suppose to get last year that got dragged out by the appeal. If there is a concern for the current players OSU could release them and let them transfer at the semester to another school, but the NCAA can't let assistant coaches take thousand dollars in bribes to steer players/recruits to agents and financial advisors without some reasonable penalty.

If I was Kansas I would be pretty worried with the way they have gone about fighting the 5 major violations they are charged with and seeing the punishment OSU got with a lot lesser violations.

And If the NCAA lets Kansas off light; they should just burn the NCAA to the ground b/c the enforcement certainly would not be equal b/w schools.

Last edited:

your current coach was/is BEST friends with Evans ... he 100% knew what was going on

Did OSU pay no attention when their coach hired a shady assistant?
Did OSU self-penalize once they found out what the rogue coach did?

The problem is, and OSU is a perfect example here......schools and coaches will sell their soul to the devil to get elite players....including hiring guys like this , who have zero business coaching at the NCAA level because they have zero morals and will do anything to look out for themselves and get players......

it happens over and over and over.......at some point they will hand out severe enough penalties to deter it...or make rules to avoid hiring these guys.....OSU is just as responsible for the infractions for hiring someone with a history of questionable behavior....and the players, once again, knew going in that this was possible but chose to go there anyway.

It's more like they hired a guy they knew had robbed banks in the past and was likely to do so again. And then when he robbed the Bank of Stillwater, they expressed great surprise and proclaimed their innocence.

I don't know whether these "facts" are true or not. But to me, this exhibits a fundamental misunderstanding of the NCAA's enforcement goals. The NCAA realizes it cannot enforce these infractions by itself, so it relies on member institutions to self regulate, monitor, and report. That's why you almost always see the "charges" couched in terms of "lack of institutional control" or "failure to monitor", etc.

In short, "we didn't know" isn't a very good defense in these situations. In fact, in some ways, it's not a defense at all---it's an admission of guilt.

It's more like they hired a guy they knew had robbed banks in the past and was likely to do so again. And then when he robbed the Bank of Stillwater, they expressed great surprise and proclaimed their innocence.

Are you saying he was known for taking bribes before coming to OSU and OSU hired him anyway? If that occurred, why wasn't he put in jail before and why would they do that? I've seen nothing to indicate he was taking bribes. All I've seen is that he was considered a great recruiter. If OU currently has a great recruiter on their staff, should he be considered someone to keep an eye on too?

Back