Pokes appeal denied

I don't know whether these "facts" are true or not. But to me, this exhibits a fundamental misunderstanding of the NCAA's enforcement goals. The NCAA realizes it cannot enforce these infractions by itself, so it relies on member institutions to self regulate, monitor, and report. That's why you almost always see the "charges" couched in terms of "lack of institutional control" or "failure to monitor", etc.

In short, "we didn't know" isn't a very good defense in these situations. In fact, in some ways, it's not a defense at all---it's an admission of guilt.

But the NCAA has said OSU was not guilty of either "failure to monitor" or "lack of institutional control". They admit that OSU did nothing wrong but that an assistant coach committed a felony on his own. And yet, they are still punishing the school.

Hopefully ORU can help the state get 2 teams in this year.

Hopefully ORU can help the state get 2 teams in this year.

I'm sad Obanor left, but Abmas is the best college player in the state. I think they would have been preseason top 25.

I get it, I do. And if it happened to OU, there would be OSU fans that would laugh as well. But if they do, I'd like to think at least they'd say "man, OU really got screwed on that".

You would like to think that but it didn't happen.

There was not one sympathetic OSU fan in 2011 when OU basketball got put on probation for an incident happening from one rogue coach 3 years earlier. Someone committed a violation at their own choosing, the University cooperated with the investigation, the ENTIRE staff turned over, yet the school was still punished and current players were penalized for past transgressions. But there was not one OSU fan that said, "man, poor OU basketball, it's just not fair".

And when we were put on probation, our NEW HC didn't cry at a presser, and the AD didn't want to blame the NCAA. They took their punishment and moved forward.

You would like to think that but it didn't happen.

There was not one sympathetic OSU fan in 2011 when OU basketball got put on probation for an incident happening from one rogue coach 3 years earlier. Someone committed a violation at their own choosing, the University cooperated with the investigation, the ENTIRE staff turned over, yet the school was still punished and current players were penalized for past transgressions. But there was not one OSU fan that said, "man, poor OU basketball, it's just not fair".

And when we were put on probation, our NEW HC didn't cry at a presser, and the AD didn't want to blame the NCAA. They took their punishment and moved forward.

OU case:

The OU violations occurred while the Sooners were still on probation for major rules violations involving recruiting phone calls by former coach Kelvin Sampson. The NCAA said its findings included unethical conduct by the former coach, extra benefits, preferential treatment and ineligible participation.

The school conceded it does qualify under the description of repeat violator -- having two major infractions cases within five years in the same sport.
Under NCAA bylaws, a repeat violator can face a minimum of having the sport dropped for one or two seasons with no scholarships provided for two seasons.

The NCAA also tacked on a $15,000 fine -- $500 for each of the 30 games the player, Keith "Tiny" Gallon, played while ineligible.

OSU case:

Rogue coach takes two bribes benefitting only himself. No recruiting violations, no cheating to benefit the team, only himself.
A player was also accused of taking $300 which he paid back.

I leave it to you to compare. OU wasnt denied post season play by the ncaa.

It's believed to be the first time a school has received a postseason ban despite no violations in the areas of institutional control, failure to monitor, recruiting, head coach accountability, participation of an ineligible athlete or academic fraud.

Boynton was emotional for his team during the press conference, feeling for this players. No shame there. That's why players would run through a brick wall for the man.

Heard Greg Swaim is making custom windsuites to offset legal action costs. Loyal and true…

Eddie, I’m in the overwhelming minority, but I’m on the Pokes side with this. It’s not that I don’t think they did anything wrong, it’s just that I asked myself: “If this was Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina or Kansas, what is the percentage of chance they would have received the same punishment?” Since the answer is an unequivocal ZERO PERCENT chance, and I hate hypocrisy, I think the sentence should have been lighter.

That isn't Eddie's position though. Eddie doesn't think OSU did anything wrong and shouldn't be punished.

i mean you are boiling it down to, well xxx cheated and didn't get it trouble so if I cheat, it is fine. That isn't a good defense

Are you saying he was known for taking bribes before coming to OSU and OSU hired him anyway? If that occurred, why wasn't he put in jail before and why would they do that? I've seen nothing to indicate he was taking bribes. All I've seen is that he was considered a great recruiter. If OU currently has a great recruiter on their staff, should he be considered someone to keep an eye on too?

I suggest you high tail back to orangepower. This won't go well for you here

That isn't Eddie's position though. Eddie doesn't think OSU did anything wrong and shouldn't be punished.

i mean you are boiling it down to, well xxx cheated and didn't get it trouble so if I cheat, it is fine. That isn't a good defense

Ok, so after reviewing the facts, tell me how OSU cheated. What did the coach or players do? One player did do something, took but repaid the $300, but never played while being ineligible. After doing so, he was cleared to continue playing. So fill me in, how did OSU cheat to benefit the team.

Ok, so after reviewing the facts, tell me how OSU cheated. What did the coach or players do? One player did do something, took but repaid the $300, but never played while being ineligible. After doing so, he was cleared to continue playing. So fill me in, how did OSU cheat to benefit the team.

You do realize that Lamont Evans was a coach for osu right?

"Gosh, I don't think it's fair that my team got punished. I think I'll go over to our rival's board and monitor their comments, make sure they're not being mean to us."

Honestly, if OU found itself in dutch with the NCAA, fairly or not, the last response that would occur to me would be to wander over to an aggie board to make sure they were being properly sympathetic.

You do realize that Lamont Evans was a coach for osu right?

Yes, and he broke the law by benefitting himself only and not OSU. So again, how did OSU cheat to benefit itself? And what did they do to warrant a post season ban? If a coach stole something, could a person say that school cheated? No.

I do understand the angle you're wanting to come from though.

We are rivals but in this case, the ncaa is the enemy. If they can screw OSU around like this, they can do the same to OU or anyone else.

"Gosh, I don't think it's fair that my team got punished. I think I'll go over to our rival's board and monitor their comments, make sure they're not being mean to us."

Honestly, if OU found itself in dutch with the NCAA, fairly or not, the last response that would occur to me would be to wander over to an aggie board to make sure they were being properly sympathetic.

Not what I'm looking for and don't expect it. I always like to read what other schools in the Big 12 are doing and I've always been polite when I've been here.

Yes, and he broke the law by benefitting himself only and not OSU. So again, how did OSU cheat to benefit itself? And what did they do to warrant a post season ban? If a coach stole something, could a person say that school cheated? No.

We are rivals but in this case, the ncaa is the enemy. If they can screw OSU around like this, they can do the same to OU or anyone else.

So if Lincoln Riley did something that benefitted him it wouldn’t be OU doing something wrong?

A coach for a university is a representative of the university.
I don’t have all the info that the ncaa does. But you can bet there is more to this. For starters, Lamont is really close to Boykin. And if Lamont is doing illegal activity to benefit himself, do you really think he isn’t doing things to help osu as well? Cmon

So if Lincoln Riley did something that benefitted him it wouldn’t be OU doing something wrong?

A coach for a university is a representative of the university.
I don’t have all the info that the ncaa does. But you can bet there is more to this. For starters, Lamont is really close to Boykin. And if Lamont is doing illegal activity to benefit himself, do you really think he isn’t doing things to help osu as well? Cmon

Well, I've not seen any other allegations against Evans. Would it surprise me? No, actually I wouldn't be shocked if he had tried. But what we are talking about is what we do know. I'm glad he is gone.

If Riley did the same thing to benefit himself only. No, I wouldn't blame OU. Especially if OU knew nothing about it. I would think "gee, Riley screwed OU".

I saw some posts from a couple of folks on here that led me to believe that they were uninformed about the ncaa decision. I responded in part to, yes, defend my school and give them the facts. Like I said before, when I'm here, I am polite and cordial because I have no interest in those who are not.

I bid you all adieu.

Stick around, eddie. Opposing viewpoints are always welcomed, at least they used to be. Don't let the mouthbreathers get you down.

Eddie, I was backing you for awhile since I'm really trying to be objective here. However, you keep insisting OSU shouldn't be penalized at all, which I don't think is realistic. The coaches every school employs is representing that university and that same university is held accountable when that assistant cheats.

It happened at OU a decade back with Tiny Gallon's mom getting a nice benefit. Now, here is why OU escaped a postseason ban...and there is only one reason - Joe C hired Lon Kruger. Say what you want about Kruger, but he squeaks when he walks. If OU hired almost any other coach, they would have received a postseason ban. Joe C needed to show the NCAA that OU was serious about cleaning up their men's basketball program after multiple infractions over a five-year period. That hire was 100% why OU escaped the post-season ban, so there's no point in analyzing what OU did vs. OSU.

Back