Practice 10/7

garyeb2

Reaction score
One of the things that I do to keep practice interesting is to pay attention to the way Kruger rotates and substitutes players. Once doesn't mean much. But, if there is a pattern, something can be learned about his intentions.

Today, about half way thru, one could argue that there was a starting 5 identified. Kruger was coaching them and Coach Hill the other group. That group was Hornbeak, Buddy, Cousins, Cam, and Spangler. The 1st substitution was Bennett in for Spangler. The 2nd was Spangler in for Cam. The 3rd was Cam in for Buddy. The 4th was Woodard in for Hornbeak. Cousins was the only one of the original 5 to stay on the court throughout.

The practice today contained one on one defensive drills. Then they went to three on three and then on to four on four. After those drills they put in a lot of five on five full court work. The practice wrapped up with a series of 2 minute games with assistant coaches acting as refs. They were running non stop.

I might have found the three point shooter that some were concerned about. Cam hit at least a half a dozen in competitive 5 on 5 full court situations. Make whatever of that you will. Hornbeak shot well from 3 pt. range too. He didn't take or hit as many as Cam. But, he had a good day.

Cousins was outstanding shooting the ball today. His jumper was falling. He was getting into the lane and finishing and made a couple of steals and run outs for lay ups. He was probably the leading scorer in most of the 5 o5 segments.

Hamilton steadied himself and had a decent looking practice. He had a couple of really nice plays. Buddy didn't shoot the ball well at all. But, he showed up on defense and in transition. Spangler and Bennett both looked like good players. Woodard's defense was good and he made several shots within the flow of the offense. Booker had missed a couple of practices. He was back today on a limited basis and will cleared to go tomorrow.

+1

Wow.. Woodard not starting? I thought he was pretty much plugged in, but at the same time I always wondered which of the 3 super soph guards would sit... Woodard seems like the most true PG but hey if Lon's trying to get the 5 best on the court more power to him.

+1

Wow.. Woodard not starting? I thought he was pretty much plugged in, but at the same time I always wondered which of the 3 super soph guards would sit... Woodard seems like the most true PG but hey if Lon's trying to get the 5 best on the court more power to him.

Like I said. Once doesn't mean much. We will watch for a pattern over the next week.

Gary, I think I speak for everyone when I say THANKS! for taking the time out of your day to be the eyes and ears of fans like me who can't attend these practice sessions! I really look forward to reading your reports.

Thanks Gary, love reading these.

Definitely appreciate the practice reports. Great to have something to base expectations on when the season starts with so many new guys around.

Cousins was outstanding shooting the ball today. His jumper was falling. He was getting into the lane and finishing and made a couple of steals and run outs for lay ups. He was probably the leading scorer in most of the 5 o5 segments.

That is very interesting. I would not have guessed Cousins woudl be the leading scorer. Do you mean today or in all the practices?

That is very interesting. I would not have guessed Cousins woudl be the leading scorer. Do you mean today or in all the practices?

Just that particular practice.. I think that on the exhibition tour Cam was the leading scorer, Cousins was 2nd and Spangler 3rd. Of course there was no Buddy.

Based on which players have demonstrated good accuracy consistently, the type of shots they get to when they run offense, and who is aggressively looking for shots I would predict that Cam leads the team in scoring. Buddy and then Spangler look like guys that will consistently provide good production. Cousins and Hornbeak look like the type of scorers that could go off for a good number at any time. Bennett and Woodard will chip in some every night.

Does anyone else picture Gary as Gary from SpongeBob squarepants?

It could be a generational thing. But, I don't understand that reference. Should I be offended?

My guess is Bounce was just trying to be funny.

He might not want to give up his day job on this attempt. Just sayin'...

Gary, you're hot alone. I don't always relate well to some of the youngsters on this board. It's not that I don't have a sense of humor. I would like to think of myself as a rather humorous old fart who can laugh it up or dish it out with people of all ages. Still, there are times I run head long into the abyss we affectionately call the "generation gap." I get that a lot with our grandchildren.

Knowing Bounce13 as I do, though. I don't believe he meant any harm by his remarks.

Back