OT: Football Talk

Again, I don’t disagree with a lot of what you said. But I do think our defense is going to be exposed as slightly overrated the rest of the season. Lots of leaks against Auburn and Texas. We will see where our numbers shake out by the end of the season.

It's a safe bet we will get exposed. You could say that about any defense in the country.

With the progress the defense has made each year, I just don't think you can pull the plug yet. We were making progress on both sides of the ball each year...unfortunately the bottom fell out on the offense. He made a bad hire at OC, which was compounded by a bad OL, and then WRs being decimated by injury put the final nail in the coffin.

I don't know that the offensive staff needs to be fired immediately, but BV does need to start making immediate plans for a replacement. The plan should be immediately implemented after the regular season ends. Hopefully the new coaching staff has a bowl game to prep for, and can build a relationship with Arnold (or Hawkins).

Next year is top 10 or bust. If he whiffs on the next coaching hire, we'd have to field one of the greatest defenses the country has ever seen to bring him back. If he brings in the right OC and QB, I see no reason we can't replenish the OL and return to our former ways next year. Offenses are much easier to fix than defenses when you have the money for a QB.

And I'm NOT opposed to immediately removing SL and JJF. I just mean you don't have to. Calls should be placed across the country immediately. I don't think we can get a top OC to leave mid-season, and I don't think we have an internal promotion that could salvage the offense.

In reference to our defense, I think you really have to look at how much longer they are out there on the field and how much energy they are losing throughout the game. These guys are depleted because our offense is continuously going four and out, and do you think they are 100% engaged when they realize no matter how hard they play it's not going to change the fact that we can barely even score in double digits in the last two games? I feel badly for the defense. Our offense basically lost this game for us in the first quarter

In reference to our defense, I think you really have to look at how much longer they are out there on the field and how much energy they are losing throughout the game. These guys are depleted because our offense is continuously going four and out, and do you think they are 100% engaged when they realize no matter how hard they play it's not going to change the fact that we can barely even score in double digits in the last two games? I feel badly for the defense. Our offense basically lost this game for us in the first quarter

Yes, I expect them to stay engaged. It's not all about team success. Most of these dudes belong in the NFL, and they're not gonna sabotage that pouting because the offense can't get the job done.

It's a safe bet we will get exposed. You could say that about any defense in the country.

With the progress the defense has made each year, I just don't think you can pull the plug yet. We were making progress on both sides of the ball each year...unfortunately the bottom fell out on the offense. He made a bad hire at OC, which was compounded by a bad OL, and then WRs being decimated by injury put the final nail in the coffin.

I don't know that the offensive staff needs to be fired immediately, but BV does need to start making immediate plans for a replacement. The plan should be immediately implemented after the regular season ends. Hopefully the new coaching staff has a bowl game to prep for, and can build a relationship with Arnold (or Hawkins).

Next year is top 10 or bust. If he whiffs on the next coaching hire, we'd have to field one of the greatest defenses the country has ever seen to bring him back. If he brings in the right OC and QB, I see no reason we can't replenish the OL and return to our former ways next year. Offenses are much easier to fix than defenses when you have the money for a QB.
I don’t think there is any chance we make a bowl game. We will be massive dogs in every remaining conference game. Missouri and Ole Miss haven’t been as good as projected, but on the road, we will be big underdogs in both games. Alabama and LSU aren’t even worth discussing.

I won’t be surprised if both QBs leave. And many more players, for that matter. If we finish 5-7 with 6 losses in our final game, and go 1-7 in league, people will be jumping ship left and right, and I wouldn’t blame a single one of them.

In another sign of roster mismanagement, Walker had another big game today for Wisconsin. So glad we chased him off.

No one would argue that there need to be changes to the coaching staff on offense. The thing is, if those changes are made and they don't produce immediate results, then it's the head coach's turn to be out the door. Bud, Barry and Bob combined to have one losing season in 51 years. Throw in Fairbanks, Gibbs and Riley and you still have one losing season in 68 years. You can't have two losing seasons out of three (and we're headed that way) and not be on the excruciating hot seat. If you think about it, had Dillon Gabriel not orchestrated that last-minute comeback to beat Texas last year, one could make an argument that this would be Venables last year.

No one would argue that there need to be changes to the coaching staff on offense. The thing is, if those changes are made and they don't produce immediate results, then it's the head coach's turn to be out the door. Bud, Barry and Bob combined to have one losing season in 51 years. Throw in Fairbanks, Gibbs and Riley and you still have one losing season in 68 years. You can't have two losing seasons out of three (and we're headed that way) and not be on the excruciating hot seat. If you think about it, had Dillon Gabriel not orchestrated that last-minute comeback to beat Texas last year, one could make an argument that this would be Venables last year.
And that’s our only win over a ranked team under Brent, and almost certainly will remain that way at season’s end.

Once again BV made a very lazy, horrendous hire when these 2 jokers were named co-OCs....even when the hire was announced I was incredibly confused and had a bad feeling, now I know why I suppose..

Seth out and they make Finley the play caller. I’m sure that’ll lead to an offensive explosion lol. Venables’ seat better be more than warm. Needs to be white hot. He handpicks a guy who is so historically bad that he only lasts 7 games. What a massive failure Brent has been when it comes to just about every big decision he has had to make thus far.

Seth out and they make Finley the play caller. I’m sure that’ll lead to an offensive explosion lol. Venables’ seat better be more than warm. Needs to be white hot. He handpicks a guy who is so historically bad that he only lasts 7 games. What a massive failure Brent has been when it comes to just about every big decision he has had to make thus far.
The one person that’s doing just as bad a job as Littrell. Makes no sense.

lol I’m beginning to think BV is just an idiot.

JJF makes no sense
I’m gonna guess the decision to fire SL came from above BV. And JJF was the co offensive coordinator so it makes sense to have him take over. I’m sure JJF will be relieved of his duties at seasons end.

I’d trust the qbs to call the plays before JJF. I’d prob trust Casey Thompson to call the plays with how experienced he is.

Bright side is that when JJF fails it will be easy to get rid of him too

Only lame **** left would be BB

For anyone who thinks we have SEC quality RBs, or that Bill B is still doing a good job, I’d suggest listening to Gabe and Teddy’s new episode. No one is as big a homer for Bill as Gabe, so of course he doesn’t mention him by name, but listen to his discussion of the players’ technique, the lack of improvement, and the decisions on who started, and it’s impossible not to conclude that the OL is being completely mismanaged.

Since Venables buyout prior to the 2025 season is near $45 million, he's going to be the head coach next season. I'm curious what the buyout is after next season ends. I'm not sure what Joe C was thinking when he agreed to that, but BV continues to get a ton of mileage from a late Dillon Gabriel-led TD drive in Dallas last October.

For anyone who thinks we have SEC quality RBs, or that Bill B is still doing a good job, I’d suggest listening to Gabe and Teddy’s new episode. No one is as big a homer for Bill as Gabe, so of course he doesn’t mention him by name, but listen to his discussion of the players’ technique, the lack of improvement, and the decisions on who started, and it’s impossible not to conclude that the OL is being completely mismanaged.

I took a lot of heat on another message board last season when I posted that our running backs are not good.
We had the worst backs in the conference last season and the situation hasn't improved much this season.
Tight ends are terrible. Offensive line is terrible. Running backs are terrible. Quarterbacks are terrible but young and they're running for their lives on nearly every play so I'll give them a pass, especially Hawkins.
BV needs to fire everyone on the offensive side of the ball after the season except maybe Jones.
Go out and hire a successful OC with no ties to OU.
Unfortunately, firing coordinators rarely works out well for coaches like BV who is just starting out. It just shows he didn't have a clue wrt hiring the right OC from the get go.

Since Venables buyout prior to the 2025 season is near $45 million, he's going to be the head coach next season. I'm curious what the buyout is after next season ends. I'm not sure what Joe C was thinking when he agreed to that, but BV continues to get a ton of mileage from a late Dillon Gabriel-led TD drive in Dallas last October.
This is just the latest example of why extending coaches who clearly haven't earned it is so stupid. There was zero chance any other school would have tried hiring him. It is so dumb to extend a coach because you are worried about what recruits might think if you don't take that step. It seems like our program is so focused on what MIGHT happen that we don't focus on the present. I have already seen people say that we shouldn't consider playing Thompson because, "what if Arnold and Hawkins both leave?" Well, we already made one program-changing decision last year with the goal of keeping Arnold around. How did that turn out?

As someone said, there is not a single player on this offense who should feel secure about their status. I suspect none of the WRs who are currently out will come back this season. They won't want to hurt their stock or risk reinjury by coming back to this mess. I am baffled how some of the injuries are taking so long to heal, and of course, we don't even know what most of the injuries are. Remember when Brent told the media a week or two before the opener that everyone other than Gibson was basically good to go? Anthony is now 54 weeks out from his knee injury and essentially hasn't played. Anderson? Who knows. Burks? Ditto. Farooq is the only situation with any clarity.

This is just the latest example of why extending coaches who clearly haven't earned it is so stupid. There was zero chance any other school would have tried hiring him. It is so dumb to extend a coach because you are worried about what recruits might think if you don't take that step. It seems like our program is so focused on what MIGHT happen that we don't focus on the present. I have already seen people say that we shouldn't consider playing Thompson because, "what if Arnold and Hawkins both leave?" Well, we already made one program-changing decision last year with the goal of keeping Arnold around. How did that turn out?

As someone said, there is not a single player on this offense who should feel secure about their status. I suspect none of the WRs who are currently out will come back this season. They won't want to hurt their stock or risk reinjury by coming back to this mess. I am baffled how some of the injuries are taking so long to heal, and of course, we don't even know what most of the injuries are. Remember when Brent told the media a week or two before the opener that everyone other than Gibson was basically good to go? Anthony is now 54 weeks out from his knee injury and essentially hasn't played. Anderson? Who knows. Burks? Ditto. Farooq is the only situation with any clarity.
on the other hand, if Anderson or Anthony or Burks do come back and make a huge difference, their stock is going to rise.

I really don't get the impression those guys are sitting out. THey want to compete. They don't have enough tape to sit

Back