OT: Football Talk

Anderson has a hamstring that barks often. He can't shake it.
I doubt Anthony ever plays again.
Burks is making business decisions regarding his redshirt.
I'd like to see some back, any back, get 25 carries in a game. But if you're down 21-0 before the hot dog vendors fill their first cart you're sunk.

I'd like to see some back, any back, get 25 carries in a game. But if you're down 21-0 before the hot dog vendors fill their first cart you're sunk.
Is Anthony’s injury just not responding to treatment? I know ACL injuries are nothing to laugh at, but most guys are back by this point if the rehab goes according to plan. Or is there something else going on?

The running back rotations have been awful since Gray graduated. Sawchuk and Barnes have low ceilings compared to what OU backs should look like, but I agree it would help if the coaches would let someone get in a rhythm. Tatum has the most potential but needs to learn what he is doing.

Sorry but I don't need to see Barnes or Sawchuck carry 25 times to know they don't have it. You'll just have 15 more examples of why they don't have it.
Tatum has it when it comes to carrying and catching the ball but apparently not when it comes to blocking and just basically knowing what to do on any given play.
I'd love to see more of Hicks but maybe he has his issues too.
Bottom line is DM has failed to recruit great backs. Texas has been killing us for years in that dept.
Brooks was the last time we've had a quality back at OU altho some would argue for Gray.
I would take Texas' 4th string back (Wisner) over all of ours.

I hate to be a 'bad fan' but i've already written off this season and for the first time in some time i'm ready for basketball season to start. BV hasn't really proven to me that he's a great head coach. It's sad that some of the worst hiring decisions were made right before we switched over to the BEST conference in the nation, so it makes us look that much worse. Had we stayed in the Big 12 we could possibly win a few more games, but as it is Maine it is, and no bowl game for the first time in how long???

Is Anthony’s injury just not responding to treatment? I know ACL injuries are nothing to laugh at, but most guys are back by this point if the rehab goes according to plan. Or is there something else going on?

The running back rotations have been awful since Gray graduated. Sawchuk and Barnes have low ceilings compared to what OU backs should look like, but I agree it would help if the coaches would let someone get in a rhythm. Tatum has the most potential but needs to learn what he is doing.

Everything I have heard is that part of Anthony’s deal (before he had additional surgery where is out now) is mental, he was just not comfortable trusting it.

Everything I have heard is that part of Anthony’s deal (before he had additional surgery where is out now) is mental, he was just not comfortable trusting it.
Thanks for the info. And to be clear, I have been lucky to never have any serious injuries. I'm sure the mental part in some ways is tougher than the physical rehab. But with all the other WRs out, and based on what Brent told the media in August, it makes his absence all the more noticeable.

Sawchuck from November 2023 to the bowl game:
OSU: 13-111
WVU: 22-135
BYU: 14-107
TCU: 22-130
Zona: 15-134
Now.....all of a sudden he's garbage? That's 86 carries at over 7 yards a pop. I don't get it!

Anthony had another surgery in late August. May have been early September. Can't remember. I think this procedure was more of a scope. But there's a lot of smoke out there that his knee is a mess.

Now.....all of a sudden he's garbage? That's 86 carries at over 7 yards a pop. I don't get it!
He’s a back that uses vision, a quick cut, then explodes to a whole. There aren’t any holes so his strengths can’t be utilized. From what I’ve seen though he’s by far the best blocking back.

Anthony had another surgery in late August. May have been early September. Can't remember. I think this procedure was more of a scope. But there's a lot of smoke out there that his knee is a mess.

If you go back and check, those defenses weren't ranked very high.
And against Arizona, one carry was 62 yds.
He needs a big hole to run thru. Those just aren't available to him this year.

I thought he was way better than Barnes last year and have no clue why Barnes got the critical fourth quarter touches in Lawrence. (Well, bad coaching is the reason.) I was worried when the reports leading up to the opener were that Barnes may be even, or ahead of him, on the depth chart. If Barnes is your primary back, you’re in trouble. As they frequently say on the podcast, Barnes never gets more than what is there. He rarely even tries to make a guy miss when he is one-on-one with a defender. In any event, it appears that Murray and Brent have more or less given up on Sawchuk and Hicks, so I’d guess those two will be in the portal by season’s end.

Thanks for the info. And to be clear, I have been lucky to never have any serious injuries. I'm sure the mental part in some ways is tougher than the physical rehab. But with all the other WRs out, and based on what Brent told the media in August, it makes his absence all the more noticeable.
Believe I saw somewhere that he had a cleanup surgery done a few weeks ago due to some aggravation. That may be playing into him not playing as well

Back