Recruiting

Welcome to the board. You are probably right about missing good players because Coale is late in the process to offer them.
Thanks for the welcome and yeah I think a lot of the good players here will look at the other schools first, simply because they wait too long to offer. There are girls that are some of the best in the state, but for whatever reason don't have an offer from us. I follow most of them on Twitter and I haven't seen the ones that I follow post an offer from us like they have other schools.

Thanks for the welcome and yeah I think a lot of the good players here will look at the other schools first, simply because they wait too long to offer. There are girls that are some of the best in the state, but for whatever reason don't have an offer from us. I follow most of them on Twitter and I haven't seen the ones that I follow post an offer from us like they have other schools.

Normally the talent level isn’t that strong in Oklahoma vs other states... maybe time will tell if the 2021 and 2022 kids will be better... can’t really blame Sherri for waiting and seeing how the kids develop.

Normally the talent level isn’t that strong in Oklahoma vs other states... maybe time will tell if the 2021 and 2022 kids will be better... can’t really blame Sherri for waiting and seeing how the kids develop.
That's very true. I follow some of the top players in Oklahoma from the 2020, 2021, and 2022 Class on Twitter and I've seen them post offers from other big time colleges except for us. So my question is, if colleges out of state and our in state competition have offered them, why haven't we? We will probably miss out on them because they're looking at every other college offer them and they're looking at us saying "you missed your chance". I think some people will be disappointed if they knew which players didn't have an offer.

That's very true. I follow some of the top players in Oklahoma from the 2020, 2021, and 2022 Class on Twitter and I've seen them post offers from other big time colleges except for us. So my question is, if colleges out of state and our in state competition have offered them, why haven't we? We will probably miss out on them because they're looking at every other college offer them and they're looking at us saying "you missed your chance". I think some people will be disappointed if they knew which players didn't have an offer.
First: welcome. Always good to have new thoughts.

This has been a running discussion for some time. Yet, if you look at the results over the years, I don't know of more than one or two players that would have contributed to OU that OU didn't get. The one that I would have wanted was Gant of A&M, but she couldn't qualify for OU, and I wonder how she did for A&M. We did lose a decent player to A&M who originally committed to OU, probably because of a parental thing.

But, some of those that we just "had to have" that went to other schools were somewhat less than stellar. We had one that went to Arkansas just a year or two back that was a can't miss (unless you actually saw her and realized she wasn't Big 12 material), but she did nothing there and has transferred (to Kansas, I think). Occasionally, OSU comes up with someone who ended up better than projected. But, the fact is that Oklahoma just hasn't had a lot of stars that were that highly-ranked. Name an all-american who came out of Oklahoma.

This is curious since Oklahoma and Iowa were two states that always had women's basketball in highschool. You would think that it would have resulted in better college prospects. It seems to have worked out well at the NAIA level, but not at the D-1. We haven't even had that much success with Texas players as the state is just recently emerging as a talent-producer. You just don't see Notre Dame, Stanford, Connecticut, or Tennessee recruiting in Oklahoma. Who is the last girl from Oklahoma to be recruited by one of them. Did have a girl that went to Duke a few years ago. Not much happened to her.

There was a girl from Edmond that we just had to have. I think no D1 school ended up offering her. We had a group who thought she was the next great star.

Right now, there are some interesting possibilities. Chantae Embry may be good, but an ACL doesn't help. Edmond has a forward that interested UConn at one time. Andrews seems to have a following. A girl from Moore seems to have a lot of believers. Thus far, I just haven't seen any rankings that confirm the interest, and I haven't seen the girls. Let's see if they actually are as good as some think. I do notice that Sherri is bringing in a lot more Oklahoma girls for visits than in the past. But, Oklahoma has a lot of small town teams, and it's difficult to get a read on someone from a class B school..

First: welcome. Always good to have new thoughts.

This has been a running discussion for some time. Yet, if you look at the results over the years, I don't know of more than one or two players that would have contributed to OU that OU didn't get. The one that I would have wanted was Gant of A&M, but she couldn't qualify for OU, and I wonder how she did for A&M. We did lose a decent player to A&M who originally committed to OU, probably because of a parental thing.

But, some of those that we just "had to have" that went to other schools were somewhat less than stellar. We had one that went to Arkansas just a year or two back that was a can't miss (unless you actually saw her and realized she wasn't Big 12 material), but she did nothing there and has transferred (to Kansas, I think). Occasionally, OSU comes up with someone who ended up better than projected. But, the fact is that Oklahoma just hasn't had a lot of stars that were that highly-ranked. Name an all-american who came out of Oklahoma.

This is curious since Oklahoma and Iowa were two states that always had women's basketball in highschool. You would think that it would have resulted in better college prospects. It seems to have worked out well at the NAIA level, but not at the D-1. We haven't even had that much success with Texas players as the state is just recently emerging as a talent-producer. You just don't see Notre Dame, Stanford, Connecticut, or Tennessee recruiting in Oklahoma. Who is the last girl from Oklahoma to be recruited by one of them. Did have a girl that went to Duke a few years ago. Not much happened to her.

There was a girl from Edmond that we just had to have. I think no D1 school ended up offering her. We had a group who thought she was the next great star.

Right now, there are some interesting possibilities. Chantae Embry may be good, but an ACL doesn't help. Edmond has a forward that interested UConn at one time. Andrews seems to have a following. A girl from Moore seems to have a lot of believers. Thus far, I just haven't seen any rankings that confirm the interest, and I haven't seen the girls. Let's see if they actually are as good as some think. I do notice that Sherri is bringing in a lot more Oklahoma girls for visits than in the past. But, Oklahoma has a lot of small town teams, and it's difficult to get a read on someone from a class B school..
You named some of the girls that I follow. The girl from Moore, the girl from Edmond, and Embry. I saw that the girl from Moore has an offer, I think the girl from Edmond does, and I haven't seen Embry post that we offered her. I actually saw where she posted that she tore her ACL, but right after she posted that she then posted that she had received offers from TCU, Texas Tech, and Texas A&M. That's why I am kind of shocked that we didn't offer her because apparently other big schools aren't concerned about her injury. The good news is that she is still coming up for visits so hopefully that's a good sign. I also follow some other girls from the 2022 Class that have been on visits but we haven't offered them yet. I'm gong to assume it's because they're freshmen and Coach Coale wants to see if they get better which is fair but it may hurt us as well because I think most of these players will look at it and say "Well you took too long to offer us and we have offers from other big schools so we will go elsewhere". I hope I'm wrong.

A player who demonstrates that attitude may not be the right player for us.

What percentage of OU’s team should be from Oklahoma?

A player who demonstrates that attitude may not be the right player for us.

What percentage of OU’s team should be from Oklahoma?
I would rather have players from Oklahoma who are highly sought after by colleges all over, then players who won't really make an impact from day one. Also, if you have some of the top players in the country right here in Oklahoma, but you haven't offered them while some of the top schools on the country has. Then they have every right to have that mentality because they are looking at it from a standpoint of, "here I am one of the top players in the country, and of the the biggest in my state hasn't offered me". So I can see why they would feel a certain way. Like I said, I hope we get all the top players in the state because a lot of the top players here in Oklahoma are some of the top players in the country in the respective classes.

Who has been offered by Connecticut, Notre Dame, Tennessee, or Stanford?

I'm not interested in preliminary offers to visit by Arkansas, TCU, Kentucky, or USC. They seem to find a way to bring in fifty girls for visits. Which of the top five actually offered a scholarship?

You also have to think about positions, most of the top talent in state for that 2022 class are guards, thinking OU will get them all probably won’t happen...

Right now McConnell, Johnson and Parks are some of the best young players in the state, but can they all 3 play together and would they want to for that matter.

It could play out like the 2017 Ok kids Llanusa, Johnson and Roberts... Two of them ended up going to mid majors, after being highly thought of.

I want to see someone from Prague play in AAU or something. But, she has visited OU, as has Moore. We have heard that Levings has been to a lot of OU games over the past three years. I just wonder why she has gone from being highly-recruited by UConn to relatively unknown in a year or so? Then, I see that she was invited to be a part of national trials. Mixed readings.

But, we have seen that all of these have visited OU: Moore, Embry, Levings, Gooden, Andrews.

I want to see someone from Prague play in AAU or something. But, she has visited OU, as has Moore. We have heard that Levings has been to a lot of OU games over the past three years. I just wonder why she has gone from being highly-recruited by UConn to relatively unknown in a year or so? Then, I see that she was invited to be a part of national trials. Mixed readings.

But, we have seen that all of these have visited OU: Moore, Embry, Levings, Gooden, Andrews.
If we can get Embry and Moore, then that would be great. As for Levings, I honestly don't know what happened. But everybody knows that Geno has said that if he offers you and you post it on social media, then the offer is off the table. So we don't know who has offers from UConn until signing day. I do believe that Moore and Embry will probably end up being the only ones from Oklahoma to get an offer from UConn, but we will never know it. He really doesn't offer until their Jr. year anyway. If we can just get the in state talent to stay then it can be something special.

Saw a tweet from Megan Maloy(Coach, MHS). Had a pic of Moore Girls Basketball at OU for a practice. A Moore, P Andrews, and R Harjo.

Last edited:
So far, we have been good at keeping the best players from Oklahoma in Oklahoma. Two of the last Oklahoma Gatorade players of the year have gone to OU, maybe the last three if Gregory gets it this season, which I believe she will. I hope we keep this going, considering the amazing young Talent it looks like we have in this state!

A few observations on Oklahoma recruiting:
1. Most of these kids that are being highly recruited, play at the 6A level (minus Embry) so the comment about being from small towns is very inaccurate.
2. The 2021 & 2022 classes in Oklahoma are loaded with D1 talent. I know off the top of my head that 5 2021’s in the OKC area alone have offers from Power 5 conference teams (Moore, Embry, Harjo, Gillespie, Washington). I also know that Johnson and Perry have Power 5 offers as well in the 2022 class. There a lot more with strong interest as welll. I would be curious as to what class has had the most power 5 players.
3 Levings is a kid that burst onto the scene with her combination of size and skill at a young age. I think her biggest downfall is now everyone is trying to figure out what position can she defend at the highest level. Offensively, she has all the skill that the top schools are looking for.
4. Oklahoma has never had a void for mid to low major D1 talent. The biggest problem with the high major schools is that Oklahoma just doesn’t produce very many 6’4 post players that are mobile or 6’ guards that have the speed and athleticism needed. Just look at the Oklahoma “misses” that we have had. Not very many of them have killed it at a high level. Llanusa was so dominant in HS and transitioned well to the Big 12 because she was one of those 6’ guards with speed and athleticism.

DFW Metroplex: 6.6 million
Houston Metroplex: 6.1 million
Oklahoma: 3.9 million
Oklahoma City: 650,000
Tulsa: 425,000
Texas: 28.3 million

C Embree, K Johnson, M Perry unofficially visiting Arkansas. Also Arkansas commit G Reece.

Back