Seriously, how many years did Carl Henry play for OCU?

NMSooner'80

Reaction score
I know that's where he signed out of high school in 1979. They also beat OU in a tight game up in OKC when he was a freshman (my senior year).

Did he play two years at OCU before transferring north, or just one?

Either way, I want to debunk the myth that he went to KU out of high school, and partially because OU and OSU didn't recruit him at the same time. I do remember he was pretty good in high school at U.S. Grant, but Bo Overton (OU signee from Ada) was considered the best prospect in the state at the time.

I'm still sort of amazed that Matt Clark didn't sign with OU in '78 - he was recruited by Bliss' staff and could have played on the Big 8 championship team as a true freshman in '79. But that's a story for another day....

2 years. It's obvious it was before the Billy era because he definetely would have been a Billy recruit. I know their is anomosity for OU, but how much of that is due to him being scorned and how much of that is due to him just being an arrogant Jayhawk. I think it's more of the latter.

Last edited:
OCU had a decent D-1 program back in the late 70's. I don't know how good they would have been in 1980-81, but I think Billy's first team did beat them. I was pretty sure that Carl played two years there, but I wasn't sure.

I don't see HOW he could have a grudge against OU over recruiting when he came out of high school. It probably did come from when he played at KU and they all thought that OU was the epitome of all evil in those days.

NM you are correct. I have posted this before.... Carl and ALL of his brothers were pretty arrogant/egotistical guys growing up. He was severely offended when OU/os-who didn't show him the same attention that guys like Overton were getting. He played really good at OCU, therefore both schools had an interest increase when he announced that he would transfer somewhere else.

I remember the entire family using it as a stick it to OU type of deal. KU simply showed more interest in Carl......

His younger brother Mike played at Capitol Hill here in OKC. He was one of the best players during the 83-85 time period. Alot of people thought that he would get some D-1 attention, but he was a horrible student. He wound up at NOC in Tonkawa, but I believe that he flunked out after 1 yr if my memory serves me right.

Another brother Craig, was also a decent HS player. He jumped around to several OKC schools. I don't think that he ever played any higher level ball than Juco. ALL of the Henry boys hated OU. The only beef that I know that they had, was the lack of attention shown to Carl originally out of HS. There was a reason why he went to OCU. No other major programs were recruiting him out of HS. He blossomed at OCU.

Jmizzy thanks for the insight. I've often wondered why the Henry's didn't like the state schools. Whether the logic is flawed or not it makes sense now.

OCU had a decent D-1 program back in the late 70's. I don't know how good they would have been in 1980-81, but I think Billy's first team did beat them. I was pretty sure that Carl played two years there, but I wasn't sure.

I don't see HOW he could have a grudge against OU over recruiting when he came out of high school. It probably did come from when he played at KU and they all thought that OU was the epitome of all evil in those days.

There was talk about OCU applying for D1 status a while back.

Back