Sooners aim to earn back locker room, practice gear

OUsooner1

Reaction score
if repost, just delete

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20100107_92_0_NORMAN407680

Sooners aim to earn back locker room, practice gear

By GUERIN EMIG World Sports Writer
Published: 1/7/2010 4:32 PM
Last Modified: 1/7/2010 4:38 PM

NORMAN — Just two days before the start of the Big 12 Conference season, Oklahoma has literally lost its identity.

When the Sooners report to practice, they must dress someplace other than their own locker room. They’ve been banned from the premises. Then, when they suit up, they can wear whatever T-shirts and shorts they can find, as long as they don’t include “Oklahoma,” “OU” or “Sooners” on them.

It has been this way since an 83-69 loss at Gonzaga Dec. 31, a barely-competitive game that ended as freshman Tiny Gallon walked off the free throw lane before teammate Andrew Fitzgerald had shot.

The team calls it “D block,” and considers it absolutely necessary, given the occasionally careless ways of OU’s 9-5 season.

“We’re not playing like an Oklahoma team,” guard Willie Warren said, “so we don’t deserve an Oklahoma locker room.”

As for the practice gear?

“Have to earn it back,” said coach Jeff Capel, who Warren said is going without OU gear as well. “I’m looking for a lot of stuff, how we approach things, how we practice, our attention to detail. It’s not necessarily about just winning. It’s about doing things the right way and conducting yourself the right way. And having pride. Having pride in what we do, having pride in everything we do.

“If we do that, we’ll earn the right to wear (Oklahoma) on our chest again.”

Games, out of respect to protocol, appear to be an exception.

“If we could not wear it in games, I wouldn’t wear it in games,” Capel said. “But we’ve
gotta wear jerseys, I guess.”

“We still play for OU, we’re just taking a different approach to some stuff,” senior Tony Crocker said. “We’re trying to get everybody back on the same page.”

Even if that means dressing together in the Lloyd Noble Center’s cramped officials locker room. Or, as Crocker has done, straight out of a duffel bag he carries around “like I’m going to the rec center.”

It isn’t the first time coaches have tried this tactic. Tom Izzo kicked his Michigan State Spartans out of their locker room a couple seasons ago. Pat Summitt booted her Lady Vols of Tennessee just last year.

And while there is shock value to the method, the idea is to generate results from it. The Sooners, it might be noted, are 1-0 since moving to their new digs.

“If we keep winning,” Warren said, “I’d love to stay in D block.”

Kelvin did this after Murray State. That team ended up in the Sweet 16. I doubt that was the reason.

I agree Tony, but this kind of thing does have a way of making people work harder. Getting someone out of their comfort zone is really important. We've still got a chance with the talent on our roster to compete for an NCAA berth.

This just reeks of absolute desperation.

If getting your butt handed to you by San Diego and almost losing to Nicholls State doesn't motivate you, I don't see how practice jerseys could.

Just goes to show you how materialistic our culture is.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it is a great move...

Just shows me that Capel is really working hard to get this team on the right track...what i like most is the quote where he said it isnt necessarily just about winning...

I really think this team would win if they did focus on all the small stuff and had the right attitude and energy but if they lost and played hard it would be so much easier to watch and follow...

If getting your butt handed to you by San Diego and almost losing to Nicholls State doesn't motivate you, I don't see how practice jerseys could.

Whatever works. It is Coach Capel's job to try and find what buttons to push. He is just doing his job.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whatever works. It is Coach Capel's job to try and find what buttons to push. He is just doing his job.

Not bashing Capel...you do what you gotta do.

Just an observation about our players.

I really think this team would win if they did focus on all the small stuff

This team is getting blown out. I think they need to work on the big stuff.

I know I am a lonely voice in the wilderness on this one, but I just do not think this team's struggles are a result of poor effort. I think they are a lousy basketball team because they are a lousy basketball team, and Willie Warren jumping over the scorers table for a loose ball isn't going to fix that.

But I do think there is a lot of raw, unharnessed talent on this team that gives me hope they can still put it together. I just think they need to get better as basketball players, not as worker bees trying to get practice jerseys back.

I know I am a lonely voice in the wilderness on this one, but I just do not think this team's struggles are a result of poor effort. I think they are a lousy basketball team because they are a lousy basketball team, and Willie Warren jumping over the scorers table for a loose ball isn't going to fix that.

But I do think there is a lot of raw, unharnessed talent on this team that gives me hope they can still put it together. I just think they need to get better as basketball players, not as worker bees trying to get practice jerseys back.

Disagree on these points...this is a group of very talented basketball players...do agree it is not a team

When i watch their games i see mistake after mistake when it comes to simple things...which is unharnessed talent, that is for sure, we agree on that also...that is where you have to question what Capel is getting out of them, or their ability to learn...

Last edited:
Kelvin did this after Murray State. That team ended up in the Sweet 16. I doubt that was the reason.

You are probably right, but don't forget that we smoked Arkansas by 30 points the very next game. Absolutely destroyed them. Sampson made the team run lines all week and touch the All College 2nd place trophy.

You are probably right, but don't forget that we smoked Arkansas by 30 points the very next game. Absolutely destroyed them. Sampson made the team run lines all week and touch the All College 2nd place trophy.

:ez-laugh:

Capel should do that with our Great Alaska Shootout fifth place trophy.

I like Coach Capel. This is another move I really admire.
At least we know he cares 100%. Hopefully at some point the players will.

As sad as it is there is a lot of truth to this.

What is the name of the Oklahoma band?

I agree with you a bit.

They may have some raw talent and good athleticism, but I don't see very good basketball players.

Back