Terrence Jones News!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seymore Cox

Reaction score
The mother of five-star power forward Terrence Jones says she has tentatively set up a run of official and unofficial vists for her son.

Jones, a 6-8 forward out of Portland (Ore.) Jefferson, has the following visits on tap:

Oct. 9 – Oklahoma

Oct. 16 – Washington

Oct. 23 – Arizona

Oct. 28 – Kentucky for Blue/White Game

Oct. 31 – Oregon (unofficial)

Nov. 6 – UCLA

Linda Mashia-Jones, Terrence’s mother and a former scholarship player at Washington, says Kansas may get an unofficial but she has not heard back from the staff.

“I have not heard from them,” she said. “He wants Arizona over Kansas [for an official visit]. You only get five, unless it’s going to be an unofficial.”

Linda said her son is playing his cards close to the vest — even with her – but he wants to commit in the fall.

“He would like to make a decision on the first go-round so this will be over,” she said. ”I think it would be a lot easier and a lot less stressful on him. He’s looking forward to relaxing and enjoying his senior year.

“If he waits until April, I just think it will just get worse. It will make the decision harder and more drawn out.”

She also said that a recent article indicating Jones is cousins with former NBA guard and current Memphis Grizzlies assistant Damon Stoudamire is not completely accurate because they aren’t blood relatives.

“They are cousins by marriage,” she said. “Terrence and Damon and Salim [Stoudamire], they do consider themselves cousins. It’s really not a blood thing.”

I like our chances.

Re: Terrence Jones News!!!!!!!!

Coming this weekend!!

good find dirty

I will keep my fingers crossed. He is one of the guys that I think could really set a foundation for several years of great post play. He is a guy that has NBA talent, but could stand several years worth of development before he would really approach lottery pick status.

I could see him being at OU for 3, possibly 4 years. Whoever lands him will be stacked for a good while.

btw, KU is not on the visit list. So first reports are usually right.

I love that he is visiting and want him here so bad (my fave recruit), but I feel uneasy about having the first visit...

I love that he is visiting and want him here so bad (my fave recruit), but I feel uneasy about having the first visit...

I know what you mean, datsooner. But that might not be the case, if we all think positive (are you in 84?) and believe Terrence will be so blown away during his October 9 visit he will cancel all of the rest. :)

Good job, DM!

I hate that we are always the first visit...It worked out well with Cam but these guys we are in on now don't seem to be "pull the trigger" right after the visit type guys...I don't know maybe we are a measuring stick and it's a good thing and I'm just paranoid?

“He would like to make a decision on the first go-round so this will be over,” she said. ”I think it would be a lot easier and a lot less stressful on him. He’s looking forward to relaxing and enjoying his senior year.

Hey, well, if the decision's made by this weekend, you'll have loads of time enjoy your senior year! No pressure... :)

I hate that we are always the first visit...It worked out well with Cam but these guys we are in on now don't seem to be "pull the trigger" right after the visit type guys...I don't know maybe we are a measuring stick and it's a good thing and I'm just paranoid?

5 years ago (or really all through the past) we were not on the visit list unless they were from Oklahoma or possibly Texas. Sometimes we could not even interest the local kids. Lets be thankful OU made the list. If you make 10% or 20% of the top players top 5 you are going to land some of them (plus you will always continue to do well locally).

Whats the difference b/t an official and an unofficial visit?

Hopefully they do something to announce the bball team at the fball game and do it in a way the crowd can show some love. Sometimes it's so awkwardly placed that it draws little attention.

I'll be there Saturday, should I have a Terrence Jones sign?

Yes! Make many and pass them around.

Assistant Coaches.

Unfortunately, if want a player to come the weekend UK has their Blue/White game or KU's Late Night at the Phog, it's probably not going to happen. We can't offer them anything except a football game,which is a great recruiting ploy don't get me wrong, but the previous two events are spectacles the recruit will be directly a part of if he chooses that school.

Unfortunately, if want a player to come the weekend UK has their Blue/White game or KU's Late Night at the Phog, it's probably not going to happen. We can't offer them anything except a football game,which is a great recruiting ploy don't get me wrong, but the previous two events are spectacles the recruit will be directly a part of if he chooses that school.

Hopefully, now that the program is getting back on track and showing some major improvement with the fans, we can bring back some sort of fan event like the Halloween Midnight Madness from a while back.

Assistant Coaches.

Those events don't neccesarily mean a guy is going to commit. They've had some big recruits come to those events and leave without committing. Especiallly UK.

5 years ago (or really all through the past) we were not on the visit list unless they were from Oklahoma or possibly Texas. Sometimes we could not even interest the local kids. Lets be thankful OU made the list. If you make 10% or 20% of the top players top 5 you are going to land some of them (plus you will always continue to do well locally).

I like the way you think, you can't win'em all but you'll land 1 or 2 from time to time. Hopefully one day we can cherry pick players. But for now a few elite players is fine. I feel greatfull that Capel is a part of the OU program and hope he sticks around its simply a joy to see the caliber of recruits he's been able to attract. He's done what many thought was'nt possible keep it going coach.

I am not positive but I think on official visits the school picks up the tab and unofficial visits the player pays his own way. Someone else could probably confirm or deny this belief of mine.

Those events don't neccesarily mean a guy is going to commit. They've had some big recruits come to those events and leave without committing. Especiallly UK.

DM I don't think his comment was about them committing but about trying to get them on OU's campus for a visit on the same weekend those events are happening at KU or UK. I kid considering UK and OU would probably go to UK on their blue/white weekend to see that. He can go to OU on another weekend because they don't have that. I think it's time to get something like that big going again at OU. Capel is the man to do it and would be a tradition he started which would be even more incentive for him to stay. A legacy of sorts.

That wasn't my point at all.

Was just referencing the fact that if you are the school which does not have a big basketball event (ex: OU) and you want a top recruit to visit a weekend that KU or UK has one of their late-night events, you're probably going to have to reschedule. Schools like that have preferential treatment from the recruits, that's just how it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back