Texas attendance for season opener = 6,471

Sooner23

Reaction score
I think we were just slightly over that. Pathetic for both schools, IMO. Would we have had more fans if we were ranked 3rd rather than 15th?

Also, which arena is worse to watch a game in -- The LNC or The Erwin Center? I've never been to the Erwin Center so I have no clue.

Outside of the handful traditional powers attendence is always an issue early in the season. Even at some of those schools it's still an issue.

I think we were just slightly over that. Pathetic for both schools, IMO. Would we have had more fans if we were ranked 3rd rather than 15th?

Also, which arena is worse to watch a game in -- The LNC or The Erwin Center? I've never been to the Erwin Center so I have no clue.

I've heard the Erwin Center isn't great, but never actually been myself. Didn't their basketball and football games overlap each other?

OU's attendance for Mount St. Mary was 6,741. Tickets sold, 10,490.

Despite UT's high rankings nationally, deep runs in the NCAA tourney and signing MickeyD AA's, long before Blake got the ball rolling at OU, the Longhorns struggled to put butts in seats. I never want to see us use the economy or football as an excuse. But the truth is, we are not the only school (and that includes some of the so-called elite programs) who have problems with packing the house for every game.

I actually thought that our attendance was the best that I could remember for an opener.......hell, for a game before January

hell, for a game before January
Were you not at the Davidson or USC games last year?
Both were attended better than the poor attendance we had for this past game.

I've heard the Erwin Center isn't great, but never actually been myself. Didn't their basketball and football games overlap each other?

I liked it just fine when I went. We set in the upper area (forgot the names that they had).

As for our attendance, it was not great, but it was the best in the Big 12 south (haven't checked the north yet).

We will need to get better.

I liked it just fine when I went. We set in the upper area (forgot the names that they had).

As for our attendance, it was not great, but it was the best in the Big 12 south (haven't checked the north yet).

We will need to get better.

How do you get actual attendance numbers and not paid attendance? Don't box scores just list paid attendance?

How do you get actual attendance numbers and not paid attendance? Don't box scores just list paid attendance?

The number for the actual attendance's are usually buried within the box scores under were they list who the officials were and stuff like that. Here's what it looks like in OU's box score listed as "Estimated Attendance".

picture10ri.png

In my opinion they are very similar. The Erwin Center is larger but I have sat in the upper deck (high on the corners) and it is respectable seat. The Erwin Center has boxes and an interior concourse. Parking is horrible at the Erwin Center.

Texas had a road game on Saturday (Waco - very easy drive from Austin) so that likely impacted attendence. Unfortunately both OU and UT fans tend to take basketball for granted a bit. Both programs deserve better support.

The number for the actual attendance's are usually buried within the box scores under were they list who the officials were and stuff like that. Here's what it looks like in OU's box score listed as "Estimated Attendance".

picture10ri.png

Thanks...

OSU listed a figure for "Attendance" and "Tickets Scanned" for their game against Seattle. Attendance was 11,423 and tickets scanned was 5,672.

Were you not at the Davidson or USC games last year?
Both were attended better than the poor attendance we had for this past game.

Davidson was a top 15 team and USC may have been just outside the top 25. Mt. Saint Mary is well..Mt Saint Mary. When the big dogs come to Norman, the fans will roll out again.

OSU listed a figure for "Attendance" and "Tickets Scanned" for their game against Seattle. Attendance was 11,423 and tickets scanned was 5,672.

Ouch... Colorado had 5,086 people for Arkansas Pine Bluff. Funny that OSU didnt do much better than CU.

How can that be? I thought OSU always had a packed house. I wonder if this reality along with the reality of head to head comparison is setting in with our resident OSU fans.

What shocks me is that, according to these figures, 4,000-5,000 OU and OSU fans bought tickets but didn't come to the game.

So unless the university's are lying about tickets sold, the economy can't be blamed. Still, if I'm working for the university and have the technology they have today (scanning tickets), I'm firing out a "where the hell were you email" to the people who have bought tickets but don't use them to each game. :)

That being said, I do realize that attendance will pick up as we get into the season.

What shocks me is that, according to these figures, 4,000-5,000 OU and OSU fans bought tickets but didn't come to the game.

So unless the university's are lying about tickets sold, the economy can't be blamed. Still, if I'm working for the university and have the technology they have today (scanning tickets), I'm firing out a "where the hell were you email" to the people who have bought tickets but don't use them to each game. :)

That being said, I do realize that attendance will pick up as we get into the season.

That's what I would do, too. We both know, however, the university pays more attention to the number of tickets sold ($$$$$$) than tickets scanned at the doors.

To the athletic department and marketing's credit, I think their focus changed for the better last season. Maybe BT can speak to that. But there still needs to be a concerted effort to fill those empty seats. I'm just not sure the powers that be are willing to make waves with important donors to get it done.

They've been trying to do the 'reward good behavior' method rather than the 'punish bad behavior' method. For the past couple of years, they've been recognizing season ticket holders whose tickets are always used by having them on the field at a football game and giving them a plaque of some sort.

Back