The Kelvin Watch (Houston Cougars)

I always appreciated him...

Someone said Hollis and his son are on staff as well.

Good luck to him and Houston

i read in the LVRJ the other day that either Kelvin, Steve Henson, or Steve Lavin were the likely choice as the next UNLV coach.

i read in the LVRJ the other day that either Kelvin, Steve Henson, or Steve Lavin were the likely choice as the next UNLV coach.

Wouldn't that be something if Kelvin went to UNLV? Basically, OU and UNLV traded coaches after a number of transactions between the 2 schools.

Not sure Kelvin would take it. I think part of him getting Houston to give him another shot at the college game was that Kelvin would stick around and build the program. Just a feeling a get.

Kelvin would probably be the HC at Houston if he wouldve stayed.

Not sure Kelvin would take it. I think part of him getting Houston to give him another shot at the college game was that Kelvin would stick around and build the program. Just a feeling a get.

Interesting thought. My initial thought was he has to take UNLV if offered but, the more I think about it, I don't know if it's a good fit for him. I think he'd be wildly successful there (or anywhere for that matter) and I think he'd have a much stronger fan base in Vegas than in Houston. I thinking recruiting bases are negligible but he's more familiar with his current area. UNLV has had more recent success to recruit to but not anything solid since CLK left. I think the conference would be easier to have success/win but I don't have a good feel for how strongly that figures in CBB vs CFB. I don't know. I'd like to see him get offered just to see what he'd do. He turned down a bunch of good opportunities while at OU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think he stays put for what its worth.

I liked Kelvin while at OU, his teams were just so Offensively challenged. I loved his toughness and defense, though. Hated he got in the cycle of cheating or bending the rules to far whathaveyou. He will do a very good job wherever he goes. I kind of figure Henson will get a good look at OU when Kruger retires.

Interesting thought. My initial thought was he has to take UNLV if offered but, the more I think about it, I don't know if it's a good fit for him. I think he'd be wildly successful there (or anywhere for that matter) and I think he'd have a much stronger fan base in Vegas than in Houston. I thinking recruiting bases are negligible but he's more familiar with his current area. UNLV has had more recent success to recruit to but not anything solid since CLK left. I think the conference would be easier to have success/win but I don't have a good feel for how strongly that figures in CBB vs CFB. I don't know. I'd like to see him get offered just to see what he'd do. He turned down a bunch of good opportunities while at OU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UNLV has serious budget issues so they probably can't offer anywhere close to Houston.

I'm a fan of what he did for our Sooners but I ran in to him twice on campus and he was a snot - one of those who thinks he is better than everyone else. Total opposite of Lon. Just sayin

I'm a fan of what he did for our Sooners but I ran in to him twice on campus and he was a snot - one of those who thinks he is better than everyone else. Total opposite of Lon. Just sayin

Judging any public figure by an encounter or two is tricky. I used to work at Mickey Mantle's restaurant here in NYC and I can tell you that among the hundreds of fans I saw interact with him during his visits to the restaurant, the reports would range from "greatest guy in the world" to "biggest jerk in the world."

And the truth was somewhere in the middle, as with most folks.

We got a steady stream of sports and entertainment celebs at MM's, and most were friendly, decent sorts, but fame and celebrity is a double-edged edge sword, for sure. You're not allowed to have an off day or be in a bad mood, because someone will soon be spreading the word about what a jerk you are, sure as the world.

Judging any public figure by an encounter or two is tricky. I used to work at Mickey Mantle's restaurant here in NYC and I can tell you that among the hundreds of fans I saw interact with him during his visits to the restaurant, the reports would range from "greatest guy in the world" to "biggest jerk in the world."

And the truth was somewhere in the middle, as with most folks.

We got a steady stream of sports and entertainment celebs at MM's, and most were friendly, decent sorts, but fame and celebrity is a double-edged edge sword, for sure. You're not allowed to have an off day or be in a bad mood, because someone will soon be spreading the word about what a jerk you are, sure as the world.

Sky, well I understand what you are saying but I make a great living that depends on me being able to read everyone I meet - so while what you say has a lot of truth in it I am Extrememly confident that he felt and acted this way - what confirms it to me is that he even thought he was above those in authority over him with the NCAA and OU - he kept NOT going by the rules and cheating - thinking rules didn't apply to him - proofs in the pudding

Sky, well I understand what you are saying but I make a great living that depends on me being able to read everyone I meet - so while what you say has a lot of truth in it I am Extrememly confident that he felt and acted this way - what confirms it to me is that he even thought he was above those in authority over him with the NCAA and OU - he kept NOT going by the rules and cheating - thinking rules didn't apply to him - proofs in the pudding

Maybe he didn't like you?

I will give you that Kelvin might not be as naturally nice and cordial as Lon Kruger. I met Lon at an OU/ut football game his first year on the job, and I ran into him without anybody else being around, and he was amazingly nice.

I've also met Kelvin on 1-2 occasions, and while I'd certainly classify both of those meetings as good, and that Kelvin was nice and cordial himself, I will admit he just doesn't have that same personality that Lon does.

Doesn't made Kelvin a jerk though.

I met Kelvin once in Madison Square Garden before the Alabama game in November of 2002. My impression of him was what you see on the court - an incredibly INTENSE individual...very focused. He was sitting by himself away from the team during the first game of the double-header. Fortunately, I was smart enough to respect the fact that he probably didn't want to engage in extended conversation. I went up to him, shook his hand, said congrats on the Final Four, he said "thank you", and I returned to my seat. I sent him an email after the season ended, letting him know about that brief encounter, that I admired his intensity & focus, and would strive to incorporate some of that into my life. He sent a great reply telling me that "before a game is not my best time", and wished me luck on becoming a bit more focused.

As for coaching at UNLV, I get the impression Kelvin wants to finish what he started in Houston. He has them right where I thought he would. He struggled last year with little-to-no talent on his roster, and in one year has them looking like an NIT team. I believe they'll be in the NCAA Tournament next year. Houston is a former national power who has been to 5 Final Fours, all from the late '60s to the mid '80s. They haven't been on the map since Guy Lewis retired. I believe Kelvin will stick around until his legacy there becomes "easily the best Cougars head coach since Guy Lewis."

On game day Kelvin is intense. No doubt. When the team loads onto the bus, leaves the hotel, and heads for the arena on a road trip, Kelvin sits alone at the front of the bus with that intense “1,000 yard stare” of intensity. He has his game face on. I have seen it firsthand, many times.

As a member of the Tip In Club I had the opportunity to see Kelvin in more relaxed situations; many times. This included luncheons during the season, Tip In Club banquets, and roads trips when I stayed at the team hotel. I was just another fan that supported the OU basketball team, but my experiences with Kelvin were very friendly and cordial. In relaxed situations, he would be very open in talking about family, basketball and his players. He loves all three. Family is number one with Kelvin. He talks to his former players all the time. He loves his guys.

I like the man very much, and wish him continued success and happiness.

On game day Kelvin is intense. No doubt. When the team loads onto the bus, leaves the hotel, and heads for the arena on a road trip, Kelvin sits alone at the front of the bus with that intense “1,000 yard stare” of intensity. He has his game face on. I have seen it firsthand, many times.

As a member of the Tip In Club I had the opportunity to see Kelvin in more relaxed situations; many times. This included luncheons during the season, Tip In Club banquets, and roads trips when I stayed at the team hotel. I was just another fan that supported the OU basketball team, but my experiences with Kelvin were very friendly and cordial. In relaxed situations, he would be very open in talking about family, basketball and his players. He loves all three. Family is number one with Kelvin. He talks to his former players all the time. He loves his guys.

I like the man very much, and wish him continued success and happiness.

I have not dealt with kelvin nearly as much as you but this is my experience and thoughts as well ..

one of my favorite kelvin stories is from the great Alaska shootout ..(or the other Alaska tourney) where the OU game ended at about 2 am Oklahoma time and kelvin said on the radio anyone still up listening come by the basketball office I have a gift for you ...

I was listening and went my the office and got a OU backetball paper weight but I also got a thanks for the support from kelvin and got to talk basketball with him for 5 min ...

say what you want about coach he was and is a good guy

He was always gracious to me and my family. Great sense of humor as well.

I have not dealt with kelvin nearly as much as you but this is my experience and thoughts as well ..

one of my favorite kelvin stories is from the great Alaska shootout ..(or the other Alaska tourney) where the OU game ended at about 2 am Oklahoma time and kelvin said on the radio anyone still up listening come by the basketball office I have a gift for you ...

I was listening and went my the office and got a OU backetball paper weight but I also got a thanks for the support from kelvin and got to talk basketball with him for 5 min ...

say what you want about coach he was and is a good guy

So, you went by the basketball office that night? Or a few days later?

Back