The official Roster Puzzle thread

thebigabd

Reaction score
Update.... Now that Kris Martin isn't coming to OU, we are back to the drawing board.

PG: ?/?
SG: ?/Jamal Bienemy
SG: Christian James/Rashard Odomes/Kristian Doolittle
PF: Brady Manek/Kristian Doolittle/Kur Kuath
C: Jamuni McNease/Hannes Polla/Matt Freeman

Shooters
Christian James
Brady Manek

Slashers
Rashard Odomes

Rebounders
While OU doesn't have a proven dominant player on the glass, Muni and Brady were starters for a team that led the Big 12 in defensive rebounding. It has been reported that Polla is a great rebounder, but we haven't seen that in action yet.

Assist Guys
None

Last edited:
It has been reported that Polla is a great rebounder, but we haven't seen that in action yet.

There was one game -- I can't recall who it was against -- in which Polla had something like five rebounds in four minutes, so I'd say we've seen a glimpse of what he can accomplish on the boards.

Doolittle was the best rebounder on the team as a freshman. He's a very good rebounder.

I'm a fan of Kris Martin but I would be cautious about calling him a home run at this point. I think he can be a double-digit scorer for the team but it's really early to say he might be the team's leading scorer or anything along those lines. My cautious take is that he could be a solid starter or outstanding 6th man.

There was one game -- I can't recall who it was against -- in which Polla had something like five rebounds in four minutes, so I'd say we've seen a glimpse of what he can accomplish on the boards.

He was great against Kansas the time we beat them. Had 6 boards in 4 minutes. He was great, but it was 1 game also. A glimpse...

I'm not ready to call Kris Martin a really good player. He may end up being a role player piece. He had the good 3 point shooting percentage his last season at ORU, but his overall shooting was dreadful, and there is a big time competition difference in what he saw at ORU.

My guess is he for sure comes off the bench next year, and possibly even as a senior. LK really likes those bigger guards. I tend to like the smaller guys, kind of like KU has. Those combo-guard type guys that are in the 6'1 to 6'3ish range.

Last edited:
He was great against Kansas the time we beat them. Had 6 boards in 4 minutes. He was great, but it was 1 game also. A glimpse...

Yep, 3 offensive and 3 defensive rebounds in 4 minutes against KU. That is a glimpse for sure. Then, people who have seen him in practice say he is the best on the team at blocking out, establishing position, etc. And he is strong as hell. There are signs that this guy could be a great rebounder and defender.

I'm not ready to call Kris Martin a really good player. He may end up being a roll player piece. He had the good 3 point shooting percentage his last season at ORU, but his overall shooting was dreadful, and there is a big time competition difference in what he saw at ORU.

I was thinking his role would change at OU to really more a traditional shooter... Sometimes guys like this at the lower level are asked to do to much, that because of the talent around him at OU he wouldn't be asked to do those same things.

For it basically being April 2018, this is a very good get. Getting a D1 guy who is immediately eligible is a great option. He also sat out and worked on his game all year last year as a redshirt with Larry Eustachy, which probably improved his beer pong and basketball skills.

A few of you are obsessed with Sampson.

FWIW, I would say the same thing if Tubbs was constantly brought up.

Well, people are going to make comparisons to what we know. And a lot of us "know" Sampson well. Not sure why it bothers some of you so much. Would you rather us make a similar comparison to some coach you haven't heard of? Or to Izzo? Or Self?

Well, people are going to make comparisons to what we know. And a lot of us "know" Sampson well. Not sure why it bothers some of you so much. Would you rather us make a similar comparison to some coach you haven't heard of? Or to Izzo? Or Self?

I grew up with OU basketball under Sampson, and was a huge fan of his style and teams. I basically started watching OU basketball in 1995, and he had very consistent success... so he represents a model that I have seen work in Norman, OK.

I never saw an OU basketball game coached by Sir Billiam Tubbs... Coaches at OU during my viewing life have been Sampson, Capel, and Kruger.

Great find getting Kris Martin, 2nd biggest need, should exceed the net McGusty contribution. Now for PG, the will we be good recruit.

Do you think Sampson's standard is good enough? I don't.

I grew up with OU basketball under Sampson, and was a huge fan of his style and teams. I basically started watching OU basketball in 1995, and he had very consistent success... so he represents a model that I have seen work in Norman, OK.

I never saw an OU basketball game coached by Sir Billiam Tubbs... Coaches at OU during my viewing life have been Sampson, Capel, and Kruger.

I got to see a little of Dave Bliss and vaguely remember the 1979 season. I really started watching when Wayman was a freshman in 1983 though. That's when I started to follow basketball, so I got to see most of Billy's teams. I grew up on Wayman, Choo, TMac and those guys. Fun to watch. Billy's teams weren't always run and gun like many remember from the late 80s and early 90s. They could score, but they could defend too. Fond memories. I liked Billy way more than Kelvin.

Do you think Sampson's standard is good enough? I don't.

lol

Depends what is important to you. We only finished outside the top 3 in the conference 2 times in 12 seasons with Kelvin as the HC. THAT is important to me, and that is a fantastic job. I believe we also finished the season ranked in 6 of his last 7 seasons. THAT is important to me.

And if you take away the first 4 years or so, his results in the NCAA Tourney were actually pretty solid.

So yes, I'd be VERY happy if the team were achieving now what they did with Kelvin as the HC. Capel didn't do it. Kruger hasn't done it. So it must not be too easy, right?

Agreed. I was "familiar" with Tubbs' last few teams, and new the names from '88, but around '95 is when I really started watching as many of their games as I could. So from that stand point, like you, Sampson, Capel, and Kruger are all I know.

Bigabd, is there a reason Jamal Bieniemy is not on next year’s roster? I’m told the coaches are really high on him. They also think he could play the point if need be, even if it’s in a back up role.

Watch this video and you’ll know why l like him too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0zoi2pmy4dg

A few of you are obsessed with Sampson.

FWIW, I would say the same thing if Tubbs was constantly brought up.

During the Sampson days we were comparing everything to Billy and you had people mimicking Billy's mizzou game announcement all the time.

Every few days some newb would post "I remember that time when Billy made that announcement ...". So at least some of the stories have changed.

And if you take away the first 4 years or so, his results in the NCAA Tourney were actually pretty solid.

You've said this before and I disagree:

1994–95 Oklahoma 23–9 NCAA 1st Round
1995–96 Oklahoma 17–13 NCAA 1st Round
1996–97 Oklahoma 19–11 NCAA 1st Round
1997–98 Oklahoma 22–11 NCAA 1st Round
1998–99 Oklahoma 22–11 NCAA Sweet 16
1999–00 Oklahoma 27–7 NCAA 2nd Round
2000–01 Oklahoma 26–7 NCAA 1st Round
2001–02 Oklahoma 31–5 NCAA Final Four
2002–03 Oklahoma 27–7 NCAA Elite Eight
2003–04 Oklahoma 20–11 NIT 2nd Round
2004–05 Oklahoma 25–8 NCAA 2nd Round
2005–06 Oklahoma 20–9 NCAA 1st Round

First four years he lost in the first round. Then made it to the sweet 16 but then lost in the first or second round again the next two year. Then came the "Great" years with a final four and elite eight run but he followed the elite 8 run up with an NIT appearance. Guys on this board today would have rung him up for that following an elite 8 run. On top of that, he finished with 20 wins that year and most here would say that is great even though it resulted in an NIT birth....Then his last two years were 2nd/1st round exits again.

In total, he made the NCAA tourney 11 times at OU and made it past the 2nd round 3 times. So while he did have the great run to the FF and followed it with an Elite 8 run, the rest was meh despite the gaudy records......

lol

Depends what is important to you. We only finished outside the top 3 in the conference 2 times in 12 seasons with Kelvin as the HC. THAT is important to me, and that is a fantastic job. I believe we also finished the season ranked in 6 of his last 7 seasons. THAT is important to me.

So yes, I'd be VERY happy if the team were achieving now what they did with Kelvin as the HC. Capel didn't do it. Kruger hasn't done it. So it must not be too easy, right?

LOL at taking away the first 4 years or so.

OU shared one conference title in Sampson's tenure and his results in the NCAA tourney weren't solid overall. Yes, the run with one core was nice, but that was mostly it.

We finished #3 in the conference...celebrate!

So you can laugh all you want.

Back