This Joe Mixon thing.....

thebigabd

Reaction score
Not good for the University... not just the football program, but the entire brand. Tons of bad press isn't going to help the OU basketball team.

How he didn't go to jail or get kicked off the team just reeks of corruption.

Not good for the University... not just the football program, but the entire brand. Tons of bad press isn't going to help the OU basketball team.

You might be right if she hadn't been the instigator.

If they had gotten rid of him he would look like the bad guy. Instead many people are focusing on OU as the bad guy.

You might be right if she hadn't been the instigator.

People aren't watching the tape... they are watching what Joe did. So it doesn't matter that she pushed him as he was trying to walk away. The key for me is he was trying to walk away and she escalated the confrontation.

If they had gotten rid of him he would look like the bad guy. Instead many people are focusing on OU as the bad guy.

People who are predisposed to believe OU is the bad guy will do so. It wouldn't matter how any situation was handled.

The facts remain:

1. We are one of the first schools to do background checks on all recruits. I don't know how many schools do that but I don't think it's a large number.
2. I don't know of any other school to kick the starting quarterback off of the team in August and let the chips fall where they may.

For open minded people Stoops record for disciplining players will speak for itself. If you aren't open minded, it doesn't matter.

They made a decision on punishment and he lived by that. Some people don't think the punishment was enough - that's fine. If he had been prosecuted it might not have mattered. I also look at this as giving a kid a chance to grow into a man without ruining his life. He has to live with what he did but he now has a chance to be productive and help others. Just throwing him under the bus might have been the wrong thing. It is old news that is news again because of the tape going public but will blow over soon enough.

The mighty "thebigabd" has spoken.

he didnt go to jail because that young lady committed not one but two acts of battery upon him and also assault.

what could have happened would have been to charge her with 2 misdemeanor counts of battery and him one county of felony aggravated battery.

that would have destroyed his future and hurt hers as well by blowback from the community. instead greg mashburn's office decided to charge him with the simple misdemeanor battery and not charge her. it is a very fair and typical act of prosecutorial discretion and has nothing to do with corruption. I have worked with Mashburn for decades and he's not corrupt. You should know some facts before tossing our allegations like that.

People who are predisposed to believe OU is the bad guy will do so. It wouldn't matter how any situation was handled.

The facts remain:

1. We are one of the first schools to do background checks on all recruits. I don't know how many schools do that but I don't think it's a large number.
2. I don't know of any other school to kick the starting quarterback off of the team in August and let the chips fall where they may.

For open minded people Stoops record for disciplining players will speak for itself. If you aren't open minded, it doesn't matter.

Thank you!

he didnt go to jail because that young lady committed not one but two acts of battery upon him and also assault.

what could have happened would have been to charge her with 2 misdemeanor counts of battery and him one county of felony aggravated battery.

that would have destroyed his future and hurt hers as well by blowback from the community. instead greg mashburn's office decided to charge him with the simple misdemeanor battery and not charge her. it is a very fair and typical act of prosecutorial discretion and has nothing to do with corruption. I have worked with Mashburn for decades and he's not corrupt. You should know some facts before tossing our allegations like that.

If me and my wife are at Starbucks, and I cut in front of her in line and she gets mad and pushes me, and I turn around and knock her unconscious, I am quite sure I leave in handcuffs.

And, on top of that, if I did so while attending a work function (representing my employer) I would lose my job instantly.

Jail, lost job, period.

If me and my wife are at Starbucks, and I cut in front of her in line and she gets mad and pushes me, and I turn around and knock her unconscious, I am quite sure I leave in handcuffs.

And, on top of that, if I did so while attending a work function (representing my employer) I would lose my job instantly.

Jail, lost job, period.

Yeah because that's the same thing and all...smh..

Domestic violence is on another level. Joe got a second chance by the law and ou. Looks like he's making the most of it.

you can listen to and try to understand what actually happened and why ... or you can keep making up fantasy scenarios to satisfy your ego and outdated genteel code.

this isn't a matter of opinion. I know what I am talking about and here is why ...

click here

Jail, lost job, period.

And so would have Mixon... if that had been the case.

They made a decision on punishment and he lived by that. Some people don't think the punishment was enough - that's fine. If he had been prosecuted it might not have mattered. I also look at this as giving a kid a chance to grow into a man without ruining his life. He has to live with what he did but he now has a chance to be productive and help others. Just throwing him under the bus might have been the wrong thing. It is old news that is news again because of the tape going public but will blow over soon enough.

Solid post, opsooner. You said it better than I ever could.

I'll add one thing. It's news again because certain members of the news media in this state have been determined to keep it alive as long as they can. While I am appalled by what Mixon did, it's not like his "victim" was totally innocent. Joe also paid the price by being suspended for an entire year, plus he was humiliated endlessly by any excuse the print and broadcast media could come up with to rehash the story.

Some here may not like it if I don't allow this thread to continue on the main board. To be honest, I really don't give a flip. Joe Mixon has been beat up enough in every forum imaginable for more than two years. This is old news that has no place on the main board of an OU basketball web site. If you want to continue this discussion, have at it on the Campus Corner board. I'm moving this thread!

Yeah because that's the same thing and all...smh..

Domestic violence is on another level. Joe got a second chance by the law and ou. Looks like he's making the most of it.

Ok.... if I am at Starbucks and I cut in line of a random stranger, and she gets in my face and pushes me, and I knock her unconscious. Same result, I would leave in handcuffs.

Ok.... if I am at Starbucks and I cut in line of a random stranger, and she gets in my face and pushes me, and I knock her unconscious. Same result, I would leave in handcuffs.

You have reading comprehension issues.

Lots of victim blaming here. I guess that's to be expected somewhat; it would probably be true on any team's fans site. While she shouldn't have pushed or slapped him, he was absolutely 100% wrong and should have walked away. His attack was brutal and violent and went far beyond the little slap he received. Any suggestion that Mixon was "defending himself" (yes, I've read that), or that his assault was justified or even mitigated by her hysterics is sickening. His attack was not in self-defense. It was revenge. He was angry and he responded brutally and his actions are 100% indefensible. Blaming her distracts from that.

A) I doubt you could knock anyone out.

B) She didn't just push him...she slapped him.

C) The law does not take gender into consideration. Sorry if you don't agree with the law...but it is what it is.

D) What no one ever talks about is Mixon could have taken the EASY way out and simply left OU and went back to Cali and ended up at UCLA or wherever...and would have had a much easier transition from this incident. But he didn't. He stuck it out and has had to constantly hear about this from the local media and everyone else. I actually commend him for that. I have never condoned what he did and wouldn't have done the same thing. But let's not forget, this girl has a rap sheet and history. She is NOT innocent in this...and she provoked the situation. Had she let it go...it wouldnt have happened. And you can say her history is a moot point and shouldn't factor into it...but you can GD be sure if Mixon was the one with the legal rap sheet that she has and she was clean....it WOULD have been brought up over and over and over again.

Lots of victim blaming here. I guess that's to be expected somewhat; it would probably be true on any team's fans site. While she shouldn't have pushed or slapped him, he was absolutely 100% wrong and should have walked away. His attack was brutal and violent and went far beyond the little slap he received. Any suggestion that Mixon was "defending himself" (yes, I've read that), or that his assault was justified or even mitigated by her hysterics is sickening. His attack was not in self-defense. It was revenge. He was angry and he responded brutally and his actions are 100% indefensible. Blaming her distracts from that.

I agree with this. There's also the fact that witnesses on the scene said that it was Joe's group who instigated it with homophobic remarks directed at the woman's friends. Mind you, she didn't cover herself in glory, either, but I have read literally hundreds of posts about this incident on the Hale board, where it is discussed with regularity, and while her reported use of the N word is frequently cited to justify Mixon's actions, his (or his friends') unprovoked use of anti-gay hate speech never gets mentioned (unless I bring it up, which I do, but I'm a voice in the freaking wilderness over there).

The persistent portrayal of Joe as a victim in this incident, as someone who was protecting himself, is a significant reach. I'm of the opinion that he has paid a sufficient price for the incident, but a victim he was not. Was he legally justified? I'll leave that to coolm and other legal minds to sort out, but if he was my son, I'd tell him he was wrong, no matter what legal niceties were at play. He wasn't at risk, he was dealing with a drunk who was no real threat to him, and he should have walked away, period.

And I'd add with great emphasis that he should cut out the homophobic crap (or stop hanging around with people who call out that kind of crap, whichever applies). For pete's sake, the most basic of lessons I'd expect someone to have learned even by the age of 17 or 18 is "Live and let live." Joe (or his friends) went looking for trouble with their remarks and they got it.

Last edited:
A) I doubt you could knock anyone out.

Not relevant to story, but I am sure I could be as big of a man as Joe Mixon and knock out a 19 year old girl... He sure is a big man, I am sure you agree.

B) She didn't just push him...she slapped him.

I am sure that little blonde girl hurt a 6'2'' 227 machine. Give me a break dude. GIVE ME A FREAKIN BREAK. Are you defending this with a straight face?

C) The law does not take gender into consideration. Sorry if you don't agree with the law...but it is what it is.

The law may not, but common sense does. He is 6'2'' 227, and he punched a young woman who couldn't hurt him if her life depended on it.

If I call the cops tonight and tell them my wife punched me, I would expect them to kick the crap out of me and tell me to grow up and be a man.

This is ridiculous.

D) What no one ever talks about is Mixon could have taken the EASY way out and simply left OU and went back to Cali and ended up at UCLA or wherever...and would have had a much easier transition from this incident. But he didn't. He stuck it out and has had to constantly hear about this from the local media and everyone else.

Yea, what a brave man he is... he stayed around at OU where his coaching staff, teammates, athletic department, and local police department protected him. What a brave man.

But let's not forget, this girl has a rap sheet and history. She is NOT innocent in this...and she provoked the situation.

You are Joe Mixon... with an NFL future... and you just showed that you are capable of letting some dumb girl get under your skin to the point where you severely injured this girl. She is 100% innocent in this. This incident is not even 0.0000001% her fault.

Back