This Joe Mixon thing.....

So after Bob Stoops uses Joe Mixon for a few years, wins a few Big 12 championships, etc he comes out and says he would have kicked him off the team if this happened today.... and we think that's a good thing?

Not b/c he thinks it is right, but b/c of how society has changed. that is how i took it. He said repeatedly that second chances are not allowed anymore for kids in this society

Yep.

I still don't see how people don't understand, between Bob's two choices (keep him and suspend him for a year, or boot him), what he did actually hurt Mixon the most. If Bob boots him, he transfers back west, practices with a team and truly redshirts, and still plays the next two seasons. How would that have been "worse" for Joe?

It really sucks that we don't allow those in charge to make decisions on whether a guy is truly sorry and wants to change, or if he really is a bad apple and should be booted. I referenced Bob's accuracy with this in terms of past kids. Those he has given a second chance, most all have made the most of it.

You know what else if funny? Go look up the articles from jake trotter, tramel, Carlson, and ou daily from right after they got to watch the video. They ALL praised ou for how severe the penalty was. Tramel even called it just shy of capital punishment. Carlson said that after the tape is made available to the public NOBODY will question ous punishment.

Now go read their articles. Pretty damn hypocritical and it's completely cowardly and horse crao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep.

I still don't see how people don't understand, between Bob's two choices (keep him and suspend him for a year, or boot him), what he did actually hurt Mixon the most. If Bob boots him, he transfers back west, practices with a team and truly redshirts, and still plays the next two seasons. How would that have been "worse" for Joe?

It really sucks that we don't allow those in charge to make decisions on whether a guy is truly sorry and wants to change, or if he really is a bad apple and should be booted. I referenced Bob's accuracy with this in terms of past kids. Those he has given a second chance, most all have made the most of it.

My issue with it involves risk... He had no idea if Joe Mixon was going to have another incident, or worse. So, if he lets Joe Mixon or whoever stay at OU after doing bad things AT OU, and he does it again, now you've got real problems. Not just PR problems, but what if someone else got hurt.

When you are OU, you don't need to take risk. You just get somebody else who is good and let Mixon make amends somewhere else. If he turns out great for them, super, if he doesn't, that's their problem. He got his chance at OU, he blew it, and we are moving on.

Our entire society is based on risk... If I wreck my car, my insurance company sees me as a risk and my premiums increase, because of my own actions. If I steal from a grocery store and then apply for a job, the employer has to weigh the risk of hiring me because I proved I was capable of stealing. Sex offenders have very difficult times finding employment and places to live because people don't want to assume the risk.

Hell, the United States Coast Guard wouldn't take my friend right out of high school in the early 2000's because he had a charge against him for stealing a box of condoms while he was in high school... There are consequences for our actions, some of those consequences are severe, but many times they are associated with RISK.

Look at Sam Ukwuachu... got kicked off the Boise State football team, Baylor took him and assumed the risk, and people got hurt. The Baylor coaching staff would have rather told the story about how they took a chance on someone and they turned their life around, but instead they brought in a guy with known behavioral problems who was good at football and people got hurt. They took a risk, and got burned on it.

That is one of the reasons we pay Bob a lot of money.....to make judgement calls on stuff like this. From all accounts, even before the incident, Mixon is a pretty darn good kid. Bob met with him after the incident, and measured him up. Bob thought he could help Mixon going forward. I have zero problems with OU giving Mixon that second chance if Bob thinks he'll make good on it.

Bob has proven that when the opposite occurs.....when a kid messes up and Bob doesn't see what he needs to see, he'll boot the kid. Part of what makes OU special under Bob, imo, is that he has built a good family feeling program. I like that. Just like I liked it when Kelvin did the same for OU hoops. That has value to me.

Not b/c he thinks it is right, but b/c of how society has changed. that is how i took it. He said repeatedly that second chances are not allowed anymore for kids in this society

Exactly what he was saying and it is disgusting that so many people who write and talk about sports got that so wrong. But that is the state of news and opinion journalism these days and it is even worse in sports. In news and opinion journalism, you have to look at more than one source to hopefully find the truth and in sports, have to look harder.

No one says Mixon was right. She was wrong. He was wrong. He was punished. If the case goes to court, they will decide if he owes her any money. Hopefully, they've both learned a lesson.

If I were an appellate judge, I would reverse any jury verdict in favor of women. He has a legal right to defend himself. She attacked him. It is crystal clear she attacked him. With that said, I don't think he should have hit her but the law does not require a body builder to suffer the attack of a 50lbs weakling as Mac Reynolds explained my Torts class at OU.

Do you honestly think a woman and her gay friends are going to seek out trouble with some random guys, at least one of whom was huge (by normal person standards), for no reason at all, with no justification? She was drunk, yes, but do you really think she walked in the place and thought, I think I'll stir up trouble with that huge guy over there?

Something started the whole mess, but we don't see that part of the encounter in the tape that was released nor is there any audio. So the only way we "know" that she uttered the N word is witness accounts. That's also how we "know" that Joe's group started it with homophobic crap. You readily accept one of those as a fact but offer an LOL at the other one. I'll leave you to figure out for yourself why that is.

Do you honestly think a group of outstanding athletes are going to seek out trouble with some random drunk women and her gay friend, for no reason at all, with no justification. They were sober so do you really think they walked in the place and thought, I think I stir up trouble with that women and small gay may over there?

Something started the whole mess, but we don't see that part of the encounter in the tape that was released nor is there any audio. So the only way we "know" that he uttered homophobic slurs is witness accounts. That's also how we "know" that her group started it with the N word crap. You readily accept one of those as a fact but reject the other one. I leave you to figure out for yourself why that is.

Anyone can play this game. I guess you are a racist because you choose to believe her story?

In reality you likely have more empathy for homosexuals and therefore accept that version of events.

I only discussed it in terms of the legality. Thats not "victim blaming". Legally they are both wrong. She's guilty of a few misdemeanors and he a felony.

A felony? How is the world is he guilty of a felony? She attacked him and he used a single punch to defend himself. Anyone that would call that a felony has lost their mind in my opinion.

Is the standard of defense going to be judged after the incident is over and one has successfully defended themselves?

I am not suggesting I think he should have hit her but in my mind that was legally justified self defense. One punch to stop an attack. He didn't jump on the ground and beat the crap out of her. He didn't kick her when she was down.

If she was a guy, is there any doubt in your mind that was a reasonable use of force?

so....am i allowed to wish Joe good luck in the NFL?

Absolutely! I wish him well too.

I think he's making a mistake by not staying at OU one more year. I also understand why he's leaving early. If I had been in his shoes I would have said goodbye to the news media in this state two years ago.

I've said more than once that what Joe did was wrong. But that doesn't excuse the relentless pursuit of a handful of self righteous reporters who were determined to prosecute his case over and over until he left for good.

Well, mission accomplished you ......! [fill in the blank if you want] They may be heroes to some, but they're not to me.

There is no way to know if it's a mistake, b/c we don't have all of the info. He talked to his agents, who talked to the front office guys, and evidently they think he'll get drafted early enough that leaving this year makes sense.

Sometimes guys get told that and it doesn't work out. I hope that doesn't happen to Joe. If he goes anywhere from say, middle of the 3rd or earlier, it was probably the right move. I'm hoping he goes in the upper half of the 2nd round. To my Bengals. lol

There is no way to know if it's a mistake, b/c we don't have all of the info. He talked to his agents, who talked to the front office guys, and evidently they think he'll get drafted early enough that leaving this year makes sense.

Sometimes guys get told that and it doesn't work out. I hope that doesn't happen to Joe. If he goes anywhere from say, middle of the 3rd or earlier, it was probably the right move. I'm hoping he goes in the upper half of the 2nd round. To my Bengals. lol

I hope I'm proven wrong and Joe is proven right. He's a special talent who will eventually make a lot of money, even if he is drafted later than expected. I know one thing. I'll be a fan of any team that picks Joe Mixon and Samaje Perine. I need more teams to cheer for to occupy my spare time. :)

A felony? How is the world is he guilty of a felony? She attacked him and he used a single punch to defend himself. Anyone that would call that a felony has lost their mind in my opinion.

Is the standard of defense going to be judged after the incident is over and one has successfully defended themselves?

I am not suggesting I think he should have hit her but in my mind that was legally justified self defense. One punch to stop an attack. He didn't jump on the ground and beat the crap out of her. He didn't kick her when she was down.

If she was a guy, is there any doubt in your mind that was a reasonable use of force?

Yes, sex is irrelevant. Determining factor is proportional response. She slapped him and he hit her with his fist.

Yes, sex is irrelevant. Determining factor is proportional response. She slapped him and he hit her with his fist.

Where are you getting this? I only took one criminal law class and have never practiced criminal law but I don't think you are correct. I am virtually positive a single punch is legally justified when struck. I don't believe it matters if it is a push, shove, slap, punch, etc. When you are hit you have a right to defend yourself and make certain you are not hit again.

That doesn't mean you can shoot someone but I am virtually positive the law is not going to say you should have thrown a softer single punch in response to an attack.

Back