This team could be better than most people think

4.9pts/game as a freshman is not the "real deal".
Doesn't mean he won't get there in the future.
But for someone to say there should be no doubt at this point is misguided. There are more Mcgustys than there are Hields.

I never said he definitely was the real deal. I said you can't conclude that he isn't based upon his 4.9 ppg as a frosh. If someone else said there should be no doubt, I wouldn't agree with them either.

There simply is no way you can make any real conclusion about a kid based upon his freshman year.

Personally, I think he was very good at times as a frosh. He played with composure. He didn't have to be much of a scorer and wasn't asked to be most of the time. His role was as a facilitator, and he had a strong assist to turnover ratio. He was a good defender. I expect him to have a very strong 4 year career.

McGusty was a Kruger Recruit. Lon had already been here 5 years.

I meant to say bigger disappointment than all of Capel’s AAs. Punctuation usually suffers after hitting the sauce early.

I never said he definitely was the real deal. I said you can't conclude that he isn't based upon his 4.9 ppg as a frosh. If someone else said there should be no doubt, I wouldn't agree with them either.

There simply is no way you can make any real conclusion about a kid based upon his freshman year.

Personally, I think he was very good at times as a frosh. He played with composure. He didn't have to be much of a scorer and wasn't asked to be most of the time. His role was as a facilitator, and he had a strong assist to turnover ratio. He was a good defender. I expect him to have a very strong 4 year career.

I think Zion was the real deal. And KD. Obviously I'm just giving you a hard time about the comment that there is no way to tell about a kid based on freshman year. Your point is well taken, there are very few sure things, but just because Kam flopped his sophomore year doesn't mean JB will. Especially since JB seems to have a fantastic attitude. As you say, he played the role he was asked to play. If anything, he deferred a bit too much. That is a sign that he is a good team player. Now that he won't be the only/primary ball handler, I expect he will naturally be more assertive in looking for his shot.

I feel like Bienemy could be a Ty Jerome type. Might score 8pts but effect the game like he scored 20.

I meant to say bigger disappointment than all of Capel’s AAs. Punctuation usually suffers after hitting the sauce early.

I might agree that he's a bigger disappointment than all of Capel's AA's. At least they produced on the court, however the team was in shambles.

McGusty was similar to Gallon and TMG, in my book. He wasn't close to WW's contributions, and certainly not Blake's.

McGusty was similar to Gallon and TMG, in my book. He wasn't close to WW's contributions, and certainly not Blake's.

I was comparing mcgusty to tiny & tmg. Feel like all 3 could’ve been studs if they could get out of their own way.

His role was as a facilitator, and he had a strong assist to turnover ratio. He was a good defender. I expect him to have a very strong 4 year career.

This. To judge Bieniemy solely by how many points he averaged per game is to mischaracterize or misunderstand the role he was being asked to play on last year's team.

Not every point guard is Trae Young; most shouldn't even attempt to be.

One of the best PGs in OU's history (or so the consensus seems to be) average 8 and 9 ppg as a junior and a senior; his name was Quannas White. He wasn't at OU as a freshman, but I think it's safe to say that seeing as how he topped out at 9 ppg, he likely wouldn't have scored more than JB did as a freshman.

This. To judge Bieniemy solely by how many points he averaged per game is to mischaracterize or misunderstand the role he was being asked to play on last year's team.

Not every point guard is Trae Young; most shouldn't even attempt to be.

One of the best PGs in OU's history (or so the consensus seems to be) average 8 and 9 ppg as a junior and a senior; his name was Quannas White. He wasn't at OU as a freshman, but I think it's safe to say that seeing as how he topped out at 9 ppg, he likely wouldn't have scored more than JB did as a freshman.

I'm not judging him solely on pts scored. But he will be moving from pg to sg, where he will be depended on for scoring.
Are you in the "do not doubt he is the real deal" category?

I'm not judging him solely on pts scored. But he will be moving from pg to sg, where he will be depended on for scoring.
Are you in the "do not doubt he is the real deal" category?

I think it remains to be seen what his role will be next season. I would expect he would be the backup PG, even if Harmon starts from the jump, so he would see plenty of minutes at the point. And it may be that our offensive approach next season will along the lines of having two PGs playing simultaneously. JB's game may more closely resemble his game last season than we think.

In answer to your question, I'm very satisfied with him so far and I look forward to watching him continue to improve.

Back