Thoughts on Season/Future

tmeyer3307

Reaction score
Thought it was a pretty exciting solid season. I think Covid really hurt us early/mid season and finally the last two games of year. Manek was having a solid season and never looked the same. Williams was playing real well and a key contributor/starter then Covid took him out for about a month as well. Reaves was flat out big time. Hell of a season for him.

I'll always remember this team as a tough hard nosed team that never gave up. They frustrated us all and had the potential to do more, but I think we also out performed our abilities for most of the season.

My hope: 1. Williams comes back. 2. Transfer Big. 3. Possible transfer guard/wing.
Starters: Harmon
Harkless
Gibson
Williams
Transfer/Big Rick. Would be a fun/fast good defensive lineup.
or
Harmon/Cortes
Gibson
Harkless/Noland
Hill/Vic
Transfer/Rick This would be my guess as what will happen most likely.

Our guards need help in alleviating the crowded space on the perimeter due to the opposing defense being fine with our lack of an inside game. It would be a welcomed sight and addition.

Guards will be good.... Harkless will really shine. Harmon gonna be good.

Gonna need some bigs.... There is no 15 ppg scorer down there with no Manek. Need some transfers

Guards will be good.... Harkless will really shine. Harmon gonna be good.

Gonna need some bigs.... There is no 15 ppg scorer down there with no Manek. Need some transfers

Do you think Harmon/Harkless could average around 15ppg guard wise? Is Harmon a good enough passer? Or would Harkless be more of a creator/stat stuffer as far as ppg/assist/reb.

Do you think Hill could score around 8-10ppg as a full time starter?

Considering our total lack of talent in the front court we had a decent season.

But that begs the question, why are we so less talented than most of the non-cupcake teams we play? What is the direction of the program? Until we address our issues and the school commits the resources to basketball, we’re just a football school that gets lucky with recruits every 5 years or so and makes a run.

2 seed bama,
Starters none taller than 6’7

BUT basketball players...

10 seed Maryland 4 guards, 6’5 or more, 1 forward 6’7

Size isn’t everything but we need talent in the post

But that begs the question, why are we so less talented than most of the non-cupcake teams we play? What is the direction of the program? Until we address our issues and the school commits the resources to basketball, we’re just a football school that gets lucky with recruits every 5 years or so and makes a run.

I agree and that’s depressing.

Agreed

Do you think Harmon/Harkless could average around 15ppg guard wise? Is Harmon a good enough passer? Or would Harkless be more of a creator/stat stuffer as far as ppg/assist/reb.

Harmon would just need to score one extra bucket a game, which would seem very easy given the increased role he will have. Harkless seems like a guy who will always score more off of hustle and effort plays than skill or shot making. He definitely needs to tighten his handle and get much better in transition.

I think I must be higher on Hill than some. He’s not a natural scorer but has shown that he can make open shots. I think his biggest need for improvement is being able to finish better around the basket. He is such a
good fundamental player overall.

Lol. Gets lucky, huh? So we didn’t actually recruit Buddy and Cousins, etc, they just randomly showed up on campus?

Lol. Gets lucky, huh? So we didn’t actually recruit Buddy and Cousins, etc, they just randomly showed up on campus?

We were lucky that they turned into the players they became. We got very lucky and we haven’t had that kind of luck since.

Harmon would just need to score one extra bucket a game, which would seem very easy given the increased role he will have. Harkless seems like a guy who will always score more off of hustle and effort plays than skill or shot making. He definitely needs to tighten his handle and get much better in transition.

I think I must be higher on Hill than some. He’s not a natural scorer but has shown that he can make open shots. I think his biggest need for improvement is being able to finish better around the basket. He is such a
good fundamental player overall.

His confidence really needs a boost so he's not always worried with carrying that "I'm the guy who just missed a shot" weight on his back or he will not take that needed step forward.

His confidence really needs a boost so he's not always worried with carrying that "I'm the guy who just missed a shot" weight on his back or he will not take that needed step forward.

Agreed.... he has had several opportunities this season, especially around the bucket where he’s hesitated or even just threw the ball back out. While being open.

I get the sense that he THINKS his role is rebounding, screens, passes... not a scorer. I want every guy to think they are a scorer if open. Definitely needs to think that next season

We were lucky that they turned into the players they became. We got very lucky and we haven’t had that kind of luck since.

What a joke. A player comes to OU and doesn’t develop, and you pin it on coaching. When players do develop, it’s luck, notwithstanding the fact that Kruger has a long track record of developing guards. Also, who was the one who moved Cousins to the point? Or was that luck, too? Maybe one day the coaches just forgot and had him and Woodard switch positions. Just like it was luck moving Reaves to the point this season. Also got really lucky with a couple first team all conference guys in Doo and Reaves. And blind luck that the staff realized what Harkless, an unheralded guy from a low major, could add to our roster.

What a joke. A player comes to OU and doesn’t develop, and you pin it on coaching. When players do develop, it’s luck, notwithstanding the fact that Kruger has a long track record of developing guards. Also, who was the one who moved Cousins to the point? Or was that luck, too? Maybe one day the coaches just forgot and had him and Woodard switch positions. Just like it was luck moving Reaves to the point this season. Also got really lucky with a couple first team all conference guys in Doo and Reaves. And blind luck that the staff realized what Harkless, an unheralded guy from a low major, could add to our roster.

Yes it was amazing how Reaves and Harkless led us to a 16-11 record. Woohoo!

Hopefully Harmon can turn into the guy who runs the team but Harkless will do a lot of that regardless... Harmon was really good off the ball this year.

The other day I said no way on Jalen Hill, showed some flashes against Gonzaga... Kinda has me hopeful... Normally you want tweeners to develop into perimeter guys, but with him I want opposite. I hope he beefs up, works on rebounding, post moves, scoring around rim, taking bigger guys off the dribble, etc

Don't forget .500 in league play in a league that put ONE team in the Sweet 16.

Yes which reinforces my point that we only make a run every 5 years or so. If that. And by "run" I mean Sweet 16 or better. It would also be nice if we made some noise in the Big 12 tournament but I guess I'm being mean for asking that much.

i will still say that Williams getting covid had a huge impact on the season ..

in fully changed the rotation and weakened the bench .. he was playing very good 2 way basketball when he went out ..

Exit interviews should be today and tomorrow. Big news little news. Things floating around.

We’ll see what happens.

Back