Thoughts on Season/Future

Yes it was amazing how Reaves and Harkless led us to a 16-11 record. Woohoo!

Nice job turning your player development argument (luck) into a record deflection. It is possible for multiple things to be true, e.g. good guard player development and coaching, bad big player recruitment and development, Covid impact on the season, etc.

Considering our total lack of talent in the front court we had a decent season.

But that begs the question, why are we so less talented than most of the non-cupcake teams we play? What is the direction of the program? Until we address our issues and the school commits the resources to basketball, we’re just a football school that gets lucky with recruits every 5 years or so and makes a run.

We got lucky that ku didnt push for buddy, we wouldn’t have gotten him. Lon and staff are elite developers but we don’t have elite talent. This all goes back to your point of what are the admin’s expectations for the hoops program. What are the fans doing to help this program? The fan base needs to pony up to make this program great. It can’t be at the expense of football revenues, it needs to be in addition to those revenues. The fans need to show up to games next year like the other big time programs. Until then, we should be satisfied with ~top 30 seasons.

Last edited:
We got lucky that ku didnt push for buddy, we wouldn’t have gotten him. Lon and staff are elite developers but we don’t have elite talent. This all goes back to your point of what are the admin’s expectations for the hoops program. What are the fans doing to help this program? The fan base needs to pony up to make this program great. It can’t be at the expense of football revenues, it needs to be in addition to those revenues. The fans need to show up to games next year like the other big time programs. Until then, we should be satisfied with ~top 30 seasons.

they offered him before he committed to OU

they offered him before he committed to OU

That’s true but they didn’t push for him. I also don’t think his offer was committable by the time he committed to ou. That’s just my opinion but kinda think it was confirmed when self kept saying he missed on hield.

Nice job turning your player development argument (luck) into a record deflection. It is possible for multiple things to be true, e.g. good guard player development and coaching, bad big player recruitment and development, Covid impact on the season, etc.

It's not a deflection. It's an accurate representation of the season. But it is also a trend that has been evident since Buddy and Cousins were seniors.

Last edited:
Exit interviews should be today and tomorrow. Big news little news. Things floating around.

We’ll see what happens.

Elaborate, speculate, pontificate - really just tell us more :)

Noland going to be a wing, I assume. He lives near me and had a big year - if not for COVID I would have got out to see him live.

Any thoughts on the AG and big Rick - any chance either could help at all? I think OU will miss KK more than most think. When he plays, his rim protection really makes a difference defensively

Since someone leaves literally every year, I'm curious who it will be this year. I hope it's not Phipps or any of the rotation guys. His dad, Conley, was in over his head at OU 35 or so years ago, so I want to believe he would not have directed his son to the program if he thought the same fate would result. Since players tend to make their biggest jump after their freshman season, I'd like to see if he can make the necessary improvements to be at least a 10-15 minutes a game player for us next season.

All in all, I'm with pretty much everyone else. We need bigs and more bigs to have a shot at a top-5 conference finish next year and beyond.

I have no inside information or anything to base this on, but I have this sneaking suspicion that Vic might enter the portal.

Elaborate, speculate, pontificate - really just tell us more :)

Noland going to be a wing, I assume. He lives near me and had a big year - if not for COVID I would have got out to see him live.

Any thoughts on the AG and big Rick - any chance either could help at all? I think OU will miss KK more than most think. When he plays, his rim protection really makes a difference defensively

So many things floating. I’m trying to find out for sure.

From coaches to players. I know it’s vague but I can’t confirm anything for sure.

So many things floating. I’m trying to find out for sure.

From coaches to players. I know it’s vague but I can’t confirm anything for sure.

Coaches? Damn CT that’s a bombshell.

Am I the only one who gets this feeling Kruger may be about to retire?

I’ve had this weird feeling all season and when they announced Kevin got the UNLV job, it started to make a little bit more sense in my head.

No inside source or anything.

Maybe I’m way off.

Didn't he just finish a huge house out there too? But I thought he told a recruit that he wasn't close to slowing down, or something to that effect. Who knows? He seems pretty youthful for his age..

I think OU was really more like a 20-win team - but those lost non-conference games prevented that from happening. I'm not sure how many of those were canceled. It seemed like 5-6 games were lost, most notably the Florida home game and the UCF road game.

Just a hunch, based on someone who's in a similar age bracket (I'm six years younger), Lon will probably go another couple of years and retire when the Harmon/Hill/Iwuakor class graduates.

Am I the only one who gets this feeling Kruger may be about to retire?

Honestly, this would be a good time. We have a decent roster coming back next year, but realistically, there are probably no roster moves that are likely to happen that would make us much better than we've been the past couple of years.

Roster wouldn't be bare, but not loaded also. Good time for him to walk away. That said, I'm pretty sure he told Harmon he'd be at OU for his entire career, and I don't see Lon going back on that.

I have no inside information or anything to base this on, but I have this sneaking suspicion that Vic might enter the portal.

That's my hunch as well. I hope that doesn't happen, I think he'll make a leap eventually.

I wouldn’t be shocked if Lon called it quits this year or next. This is a guess by me no knowledge at all.
Vic getting in the portal also wouldn’t be a shock.
Haven’t heard anything about AG which probably means he hasn’t done much.
Rick has looked much better in practice from what I’ve heard.

I wouldn’t be shocked if Lon called it quits this year or next. This is a guess by me no knowledge at all.

i would be shocked if lon retires before 2 years from now

That would be very exciting if Rick could advance in his development enough to start next year. Fans are clamoring for any sort of production from a big much less a 7-1 physical specimen. Not sure the game but he got in one and actually blocked a couple of shots and hit some free throws with some good form. As far as AG, I wonder if it would be best to just continue to try and bulk him up a little and move him to the 4. That's what OU needs right now, and he has good height. Fluidity and aggression seems to be, from my observation, what seems to be holding both of them back. If the staff really does think they have the potential to be great(or, I'll take good), why not just ride them like pack mules in a full non conference slate, take some lumps, then by conference have some seasoning. That again is assuming they really think they have that potential...

Back