Transfer Portal Thread

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/ThePortalReport/status/1540021515554545664[/TWEET]

He would be a great person to add at the 2. Big guard.

What's interesting about him is he shot 28% from the 3 pt line his first 3 seasons...and improved it to 42.6% his senior season!! That's a huge increase!

I think he'd be a perfect get for the last scholarship. He only has 1 year of elgibility...so has no impact on ships for next year.

What's interesting about him is he shot 28% from the 3 pt line his first 3 seasons...and improved it to 42.6% his senior season!! That's a huge increase!

I think he'd be a perfect get for the last scholarship. He only has 1 year of elgibility...so has no impact on ships for next year.

All academic team too so you know he’s got his head screwed on straight and would put in the work to be a good teammate.

Yup, why not? Except for maybe if he takes minutes, it could chase off a younger multi year guy. But i think you should dang near get all the talent every year bc even the young multi year guy may bail on you anyways even with tons of minutes.

Good news for Joe B & Sherfield...

It's expected that both will get a waiver but it's always good to see others getting them already

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1541586730020741122[/TWEET]

Last edited:
Good news for Joe B & Sherfield...

It's expected that both will get a waiver but it's always good to see others getting them already

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1541586730020741122[/TWEET]

Good news!

Curious, did we try for tre Mitchell at all? He would have been an insane addition for us.

Yep. Free transfers, free waivers, it's all ruining college sports (at least, football and basketball).

Yep, a lot of cynics and critics are angry about NIL ruining college athletics and turning into free agency, but the reality is it is the NCAA transfer rules, or lack of them, that is the downfall. It has created pay-to-play more than NIL.

Put more restrictive transfer rules, or just go back to the traditional eligibility requirements for transfers, and NIL settles down for existing college players.

Yep. Free transfers, free waivers, it's all ruining college sports (at least, football and basketball).

Why are those sports any different than the rest?

In 10 years, I bet most people currently on this board will still be here, and there will be some new existential crisis that people claim is ruining college sports. Things change. Not all changes are good, obviously, but they also don't all ruin/kill college sports.

My 2 cents is that pay to play was legitimized by NIL. Freeing up transfers just created more opportunities to pay someone for playing. It made every year a "contract year." We're seeing the combined effect of both happening in a short period of time. Fb and basketball will be fine, but we'll see the market evaluate the value of the other sports in the near future. Combine that with the growing fiscal instability of higher education institutions, and we'll see some tough decisions have to be made.

Yep, a lot of cynics and critics are angry about NIL ruining college athletics and turning into free agency, but the reality is it is the NCAA transfer rules, or lack of them, that is the downfall. It has created pay-to-play more than NIL.

Put more restrictive transfer rules, or just go back to the traditional eligibility requirements for transfers, and NIL settles down for existing college players.

Agreed. That (going back to the old transfer rules) would do a lot to offset some of the damage NIL is doing.

Why are those sports any different than the rest?

In 10 years, I bet most people currently on this board will still be here, and there will be some new existential crisis that people claim is ruining college sports. Things change. Not all changes are good, obviously, but they also don't all ruin/kill college sports.

Money not having a (legitimate) impact on the decisions and movements of student-athletes is a big reason why many prefer collegiate sports to professional. I am much less interested in professional sports and the constant talk about money and player movement is a big reason why. I'm not likely to ever give up on college sports entirely, but the more collegiate sports resemble pro sports over time, the less passionate I expect to feel.

I hope that endless transfers and NIL regulations get sorted out and things calm down a bit. I think they might. But pay-for-play has to be stopped or the college sports many of us fell in love with and still support with passion will be no more (and yes, I'm fully aware that there have always been bag men--I'm not naive--but at least there were punishments in place).

There's a reason Sooner fans love our softball team so much and it's not just that they're kick-ass good (though that's a big part of it). It's also that college softball (despite its freedom of movement) more closely resembles the culture of amateur collegiate sports we have long loved.

I believe that for years transfer in minor sports have been able to transfer
without penalty. Those moves just never made for big headlines. OU lost several high profile T & F stars like Will Clay who were immediately able to
participate at their next school. Same for women's sport teams.

Money not having a (legitimate) impact on the decisions and movements of student-athletes is a big reason why many prefer collegiate sports to professional. I am much less interested in professional sports and the constant talk about money and player movement is a big reason why. I'm not likely to ever give up on college sports entirely, but the more collegiate sports resemble pro sports over time, the less passionate I expect to feel.

I hope that endless transfers and NIL regulations get sorted out and things calm down a bit. I think they might. But pay-for-play has to be stopped or the college sports many of us fell in love with and still support with passion will be no more (and yes, I'm fully aware that there have always been bag men--I'm not naive--but at least there were punishments in place).

There's a reason Sooner fans love our softball team so much and it's not just that they're kick-ass good (though that's a big part of it). It's also that college softball (despite its freedom of movement) more closely resembles the culture of amateur collegiate sports we have long loved.

Agree completely. I have loved college sports for 50 years and I see it ending. I loved it because the players played because they loved the sport and had passion for it. There was loyalty to the university/team. You might have 2 or 3 transfer out a year. Now, it’s like the pros in that you never know who will be on your team from year to year. I know I’m an old crotchety man but I just don’t like the way intercollegiate athletics is headed.

Agree completely. I have loved college sports for 50 years and I see it ending. I loved it because the players played because they loved the sport and had passion for it. There was loyalty to the university/team. You might have 2 or 3 transfer out a year. Now, it’s like the pros in that you never know who will be on your team from year to year. I know I’m an old crotchety man but I just don’t like the way intercollegiate athletics is headed.

I'm 30s and I may be fly done with college sports at some point, to be a casual fan

Lol I guess everything was better in the old days. Maybe we should go back to not letting freshman play, banning the dunk, eliminating the shot clock, etc. It’s been one year of NIL. Let’s wait to see how things evolve and where they settle.

Back