Weekly Polls Thread - Week 19 *polls pending

Can someone explain BYU’s net ranking? Same record as ou. More quad 4 games than ou. More quad 3 games than ou. Their schedule looks softer to me.

3-4 against quad 1 while ou is 2-4. Yet byu is about 30 spots better than ou…make it make sense
I've wondered that all season.

Can someone explain BYU’s net ranking? Same record as ou. More quad 4 games than ou. More quad 3 games than ou. Their schedule looks softer to me.

3-4 against quad 1 while ou is 2-4. Yet byu is about 30 spots better than ou…make it make sense
Scoring margin is a big part of the NET rating...BYU's scoring margin is 18.7 and ours is 12.4

The NET includes more components than just winning percentage. It takes into account game results, strength of schedule, game location, scoring margin, net offensive and defensive efficiency, and the quality of wins and losses.

OU moved up 6 spots in the NET with the win last night ... now 27
3 Big 12 in the top 10
5 in the top 20
8 in the top 30
10 in the top 40

Scoring margin is a big part of the NET rating...BYU's scoring margin is 18.7 and ours is 12.4
You nailed it. BYU has absolutely blown the doors off some bad to decent teams and the NET now rewards that to some degree. KenPom also loves BYU as well.....they are #10 in his ratings.

PTSD from past seasons coloring those losses aside, a top 25 team at this point of the season is a huge improvement.

Lots of folks taking it for granted rn. We probably were only ranked this late in the season a few times over the past decade. Those teams had NBA 1st rounders on them, also.

Another questionable NET ranking is Michigan state at 23. They are 13-8 with a 2-7 against quad 1 teams. If they finish the season similarly, they better not make the tournament. Especially since ou didn’t make it 2 years ago with a similar resume.

Another questionable NET ranking is Michigan state at 23. They are 13-8 with a 2-7 against quad 1 teams. If they finish the season similarly, they better not make the tournament. Especially since ou didn’t make it 2 years ago with a similar resume.
TBH, I don't know how good Michigan State actually is.....but they've played a pretty brutal schedule thus far (#12 in KenPom). Their signature win is blowing out Baylor by 24 on a semi-home/neutral floor. I would have to compare their resume with OU's resume of two years ago to see the similarities.

On bracketmatrix.com, they are in the field on pretty much everyone's bracket from a 9 seed to an 11 seed.

I
TBH, I don't know how good Michigan State actually is.....but they've played a pretty brutal schedule thus far (#12 in KenPom). Their signature win is blowing out Baylor by 24 on a semi-home/neutral floor. I would have to compare their resume with OU's resume of two years ago to see the similarities.

On bracketmatrix.com, they are in the field on pretty much everyone's bracket from a 9 seed to an 11 seed.
An example of why noncon scheduling matters. I am with you -- I don't know if they are actually very good, but when you play that tough a noncon, and play in a league that gives you several Q1 games, you can withstand a relatively lousy record. We definitely didn't play that kind of noncon two years ago. Granted, they probably scheduled that way because they expected to be far better than they actually are, but it will still benefit them if they can pick up some more good wins down the stretch.

I

An example of why noncon scheduling matters. I am with you -- I don't know if they are actually very good, but when you play that tough a noncon, and play in a league that gives you several Q1 games, you can withstand a relatively lousy record. We definitely didn't play that kind of noncon two years ago. Granted, they probably scheduled that way because they expected to be far better than they actually are, but it will still benefit them if they can pick up some more good wins down the stretch.

Ou had the #7 schedule strength according to kenpom in ‘21. Michigan states #12 currently. Granted msu winning percentage is better than ours was in ‘21.

Ou had the #7 schedule strength according to kenpom in ‘21. Michigan states #12 currently. Granted msu winning percentage is better than ours was in ‘21.
I'd like to see a comparison of just the noncon numbers. Our schedule strength was obviously boosted by the end of the season because we played 20 games against Big 12 teams, including the conference tourney. Sparty played neutral court games against Duke, Zona, and Baylor. They also played some other very solid teams (James Madison, Indiana State, and Butler). I'm not saying they are great, but that resume will give them a boost if they are a bubble team. Of course, they may play themselves off the bubble, one way or the other, over the next six weeks.

I'd like to see a comparison of just the noncon numbers. Our schedule strength was obviously boosted by the end of the season because we played 20 games against Big 12 teams, including the conference tourney. Sparty played neutral court games against Duke, Zona, and Baylor. They also played some other very solid teams (James Madison, Indiana State, and Butler). I'm not saying they are great, but that resume will give them a boost if they are a bubble team. Of course, they may play themselves off the bubble, one way or the other, over the next six weeks.
I am very curious as to the reasoning of noncon over regular conf toughness.

If the overall SOS is a Top10 schedule, then noncon should be moot. If the committee values noncon toughness, then shoot, lets go play in the MAAC and just schedule all Top25 noncon. I just don't see the difference in boosting your #7 SOS to a #1++++ SOS and adding further losses just to have a tougher noncon sos.

In 2022, the NET ranked us 39th. SOS 7th and noncon 170th.
BubbleTeamRecordNETKPSOSNC SOSQ1Best WinWorst Loss
OUTDayton24-11
52​
45​
109​
97​
4-33 Kansas291 Austin Peay
OUTOklahoma19-16
39​
30​
7​
170​
5-127 Texas Tech121 Butler
OUTSMU24-9
53​
62​
107​
284​
2-22 Houston203 Loyola Mary
OUTTexas A&M26-13
36​
33​
45​
190​
5-1118 Arkansas137 Missouri
INIndiana21-14
44​
48​
31​
198​
5-1014 Purdue88 Penn St
INNotre Dame23-11
43​
38​
60​
15​
4-96 Kentucky114 Boston College
INRutgers18-14
80​
77​
37​
255​
7-713 Iowa323 Lafayette
INWyoming24-9
58​
65​
99​
158​
1-639 Boise St161 New Mexico

Essentially the committee was on drugs in 2022. No way in any world should Rutgers and Wyoming have been in. But they liked the 7 Q1 wins for Rutgers and wiped their brains clean for Wyoming and said...we like their uniforms and almost 30 pt loss to Arizona, hard fought.

Notre Dame would be the case for tough noncon and Dayton...but they chose one over the other. ND was not the best in Q1 either. Committee just changes their mind depending on what team it is an which conferences have more teams or money in play.

Moral of the story? Don't be a bubble team.

(I am speaking in a general sense, not in an attacking you sense.)

I am very curious as to the reasoning of noncon over regular conf toughness.

If the overall SOS is a Top10 schedule, then noncon should be moot. If the committee values noncon toughness, then shoot, lets go play in the MAAC and just schedule all Top25 noncon. I just don't see the difference in boosting your #7 SOS to a #1++++ SOS and adding further losses just to have a tougher noncon sos.

In 2022, the NET ranked us 39th. SOS 7th and noncon 170th.
BubbleTeamRecordNETKPSOSNC SOSQ1Best WinWorst Loss
OUTDayton24-11
52​
45​
109​
97​
4-33 Kansas291 Austin Peay
OUTOklahoma19-16
39​
30​
7​
170​
5-127 Texas Tech121 Butler
OUTSMU24-9
53​
62​
107​
284​
2-22 Houston203 Loyola Mary
OUTTexas A&M26-13
36​
33​
45​
190​
5-1118 Arkansas137 Missouri
INIndiana21-14
44​
48​
31​
198​
5-1014 Purdue88 Penn St
INNotre Dame23-11
43​
38​
60​
15​
4-96 Kentucky114 Boston College
INRutgers18-14
80​
77​
37​
255​
7-713 Iowa323 Lafayette
INWyoming24-9
58​
65​
99​
158​
1-639 Boise St161 New Mexico

Essentially the committee was on drugs in 2022. No way in any world should Rutgers and Wyoming have been in. But they liked the 7 Q1 wins for Rutgers and wiped their brains clean for Wyoming and said...we like their uniforms and almost 30 pt loss to Arizona, hard fought.

Notre Dame would be the case for tough noncon and Dayton...but they chose one over the other. ND was not the best in Q1 either. Committee just changes their mind depending on what team it is an which conferences have more teams or money in play.

Moral of the story? Don't be a bubble team.

(I am speaking in a general sense, not in an attacking you sense.)
Yes....the committee was out of their ever loving mind to put Wyoming in ahead of either A*M or OU in 22....and those two teams were the first ones out if I remember correctly. Ridiculous ever-changing thought process to even attempt to validate Wyoming's inclusion....I'm still pissed about that one.

Iowa got a win over Ohio state tonight which gets them closer to quad 1. They are at 61 before this win.

Iowa got a win over Ohio state tonight which gets them closer to quad 1. They are at 61 before this win.
I really hope Iowa and Arkansas can make a run to end the season. That would help OU

I really hope Iowa and Arkansas can make a run to end the season. That would help OU
Arky is almost certain to remain a quad 3 win. They’d have to move up 20 spots to get to the bottom of quad 2, and I don’t think that would really make much of a difference. USC actually is only a few spots below the quad 2 cutoff. Iowa would have to make a very good run to move into the top 50.

Arky is almost certain to remain a quad 3 win. They’d have to move up 20 spots to get to the bottom of quad 2, and I don’t think that would really make much of a difference. USC actually is only a few spots below the quad 2 cutoff. Iowa would have to make a very good run to move into the top 50.
I see. Thank you!

Back