Which bigs do we have a legit shot with for 22 and 23

lexusooner

Reaction score
I realize we have 6’8” Benjamin Schroder coming on board who can play three or four positions but is likely a 3 who can play the 2 and the 4.
With current starting C 6’10” Tanner G likely returning we very likely have our starting C.
6’8” Jacob G can play the 4 but is a more natural 3 and gets bullied by big 4s and 5s.
Our current bench bigs 6’8” Akol M, and 7’1” Rick I. could be returning but neither had shown much thus far. We’re probably in need of at least two more bigs 6’9” and taller who can effectively play the 4 and 5 without getting bullied.
We’ve had too many soft post players recently …

Last edited:
We need bigs that know how to play in the paint and can run the floor well. We don’t need anymore 6-10 guys who shoot 3’s and get pushed around under the basket. We need some bullies in the paint to protect the rim, rebound everything, and provide some offense.

I’ve seen several mid majors that have 6-9/10 guys that are athletic and can rebound and defend well. Why can’t we get our share of those guys?

We need bigs that know how to play in the paint and can run the floor well. We don’t need anymore 6-10 guys who shoot 3’s and get pushed around under the basket. We need some bullies in the paint to protect the rim, rebound everything, and provide some offense.

I’ve seen several mid majors that have 6-9/10 guys that are athletic and can rebound and defend well. Why can’t we get our share of those guys?

AMEN!

Every year I watch the NCAA tournament I think the same thing. Schools that shouldn't be able to recruit half as well as us have bigs like you described. Hopefully Porter can find some...

Issanza needs to transfer, and I can't imagine Mawein not going into the portal.

Was listening to a recent SoonerScoop Pod & Pryzbylo mentioned he thought Issanza was likely to transfer. He’s barely played down stretch, just curious if others following more closely had differing thoughts?

Are there any Okc/Tulsa/DFW area bigs we should snatch up that may be flying under the recruiting radar?

That ain't going to happen. Moser wants to run an offense that involves having a 5 that can extend to the 3 point line, which opens up cutting lanes. If your 5 has to be in the paint to be a threat, you can't run the Moser offense.

That ain't going to happen. Moser wants to run an offense that involves having a 5 that can extend to the 3 point line, which opens up cutting lanes. If your 5 has to be in the paint to be a threat, you can't run the Moser offense.

We don't need all of our frontcourt players to be Nikola Jokic. Groves couldn't create for others to save his life.

If we don't land some size and athleticism in the post that can coexist in the high post offense - at least to the level T. Groves did this season - we have no chance to be more than an also-ran in the Big 12 and nationally.

Moser knows this and I expect him to address the issue.

Issanza needs to transfer, and I can't imagine Mawein not going into the portal.

Agreed. Rick has had two seasons to contribute more than keeping a spot on the bench warm. If he’s not ready by now, he needs to move on.

I had higher hopes for Mawein, but he can’t seem to get enough playing time to prove his worth. I have said before that I think he should get some of Jacob’s minutes. Obviously, Porter doesn’t agree.

We will get 2 more bigs out of the portal I expect them to be huge upgrades over chagrois and issanza.

We will get 2 more bigs out of the portal I expect them to be huge upgrades over chagrois and issanza.

I'd be happy if Chargois was returning next year; if we get someone better, great, but I liked his game.

Chargois was playing really well down the stretch, especially on offense.

I'd be happy if Chargois was returning next year; if we get someone better, great, but I liked his game.

I’d take him back for sure. Remember though he was like our 4th or 5th choice at the position. I’m confident Moser will secure some guys even better this go round.

What makes you so confident in saying this?

Just faith in the staff, mostly. I think this recruiting staff is very, very good. I also don’t think it is that big of a limb to go out on. Ethan was solid but nothing special and big Rick is flat bad.

There are a ton of guys in the portal already, and I think we will get a couple good 1s. Time will tell.

Just faith in the staff, mostly. I think this recruiting staff is very, very good. I also don’t think it is that big of a limb to go out on. Ethan was solid but nothing special and big Rick is flat bad.

There are a ton of guys in the portal already, and I think we will get a couple good 1s. Time will tell.

My fingers are crossed, but given that many insist that we were lacking in talent this season, largely based on the staff's first crop of portal pick-ups, I don't know if they'll do better this time. I hope so. Last offseason, Coach Moser came in with a lot of buzz -- that should have helped him get quality guys. Not sure what'll help him this time, given the way the season played out.

My fingers are crossed, but given that many insist that we were lacking in talent this season, largely based on the staff's first crop of portal pick-ups, I don't know if they'll do better this time. I hope so. Last offseason, Coach Moser came in with a lot of buzz -- that should have helped him get quality guys. Not sure what'll help him this time, given the way the season played out.

There is no comparison between then and now. 1) He won't have to do it all via Zoom or Twitter. 2) He needs two players, not seven this time. 3) He has something to show guys about how he wants to play at OU.

Time will tell, but I expect a good haul in the portal.

There is no comparison between then and now. 1) He won't have to do it all via Zoom or Twitter. 2) He needs two players, not seven this time. 3) He has something to show guys about how he wants to play at OU.

Time will tell, but I expect a good haul in the portal.

Tech, ISU and texas were also limited to Zoom and Twitter.

That we need fewer players is a good thing, I agree, but the buzz that surrounded him following his hire has faded after this disappointing season. We are not a "hot" school at the moment.

The one fly in the ointment of getting bigs to transfer here is Tanner coming back next year. With the returning starter at the 5 coming back it will limit some of the allure to the guys who want to start and play big minutes.

The one fly in the ointment of getting bigs to transfer here is Tanner coming back next year. With the returning starter at the 5 coming back it will limit some of the allure to the guys who want to start and play big minutes.

It could also be a plus if the big is a four and wants to team with Tanner at the five. IMO, the four spot is wide open for a quality big who wants to start at that position right away. As I see it, his only real competition will be Jacob. Enough said.

Back