Which bigs do we have a legit shot with for 22 and 23

It could also be a plus if the big is a four and wants to team with Tanner at the five. IMO, the four spot is wide open for a quality big who wants to start at that position right away. As I see it, his only real competition will be Jacob. Enough said.

i mean Hill started at the 4 most of the season

Tech, ISU and texas were also limited to Zoom and Twitter.

That we need fewer players is a good thing, I agree, but the buzz that surrounded him following his hire has faded after this disappointing season. We are not a "hot" school at the moment.

U keep going back to these comps and it isn’t really apples to apples for a couple of reasons. Tech and texas paid a lot of money for their transfers. That tends to help with recruiting.

Isu’s new coach had a head start on recruiting, while moser was beating the #1 seed in the tournament with loyola. Also ou and isu weren’t very different this year aside from isu’s tourney run either. Ou actually had a better net ranking heading into the tournament.

The one fly in the ointment of getting bigs to transfer here is Tanner coming back next year. With the returning starter at the 5 coming back it will limit some of the allure to the guys who want to start and play big minutes.

I guess it depends on whether Moser is willing to just hand Tanner the starting spot or is willing to open it up to competition. There were several games late in the season where he played Chag more minutes than Tanner, so hopefully he looks for whatever makes the team better.

i mean Hill started at the 4 most of the season

Yeah, forgot about him. One of my all time favorite players, too! Jalen is a tweener, so I see him as a three playing out of position at the four. It’s not that he can’t be competitive, but he’s overmatched against bigger, stronger fours with multiple skills.

In any event, I think we need to sign a true four out of the portal with the size and skills to compete in the Big 12, and eventually in the SEC.

Tech, ISU and texas were also limited to Zoom and Twitter.

That we need fewer players is a good thing, I agree, but the buzz that surrounded him following his hire has faded after this disappointing season. We are not a "hot" school at the moment.

Tech hired a Beard assistant and kept continuity in its program. That made things easier.

Texas hired the top coach on the market and is still located in Austin at last check.

Iowa State is in the Sweet 16 and the coach deserves credit for bringing them back after an awful season.

Those are all facts that contributed to last offseason's goings on.

If Moser fails to deliver the goods this time around, I'll join you in your skepticism.

The one fly in the ointment of getting bigs to transfer here is Tanner coming back next year. With the returning starter at the 5 coming back it will limit some of the allure to the guys who want to start and play big minutes.

well, I think moser showed he isn't afraid to pull ANYONE if they aren't doing their thing. Maybe it was because of health/injury but Tanner's minutes (to a glance) got fewer as the season went on.

I would think a player would see that as a challenge as well. Maybe for a 1 yr guy but hopefully getting a 2 yr guy.

well, I think moser showed he isn't afraid to pull ANYONE if they aren't doing their thing. Maybe it was because of health/injury but Tanner's minutes (to a glance) got fewer as the season went on.

I would think a player would see that as a challenge as well. Maybe for a 1 yr guy but hopefully getting a 2 yr guy.

I agree completely. Moser has a little bit of Kelvin in him, maybe too much, in that if a guy makes a mistake, he pulls him immediately to sit on the bench. Fortunately, at least on offense, Chargois played well down the stretch to be able to do that.

But as it was mentioned, a guy like Tanner Groves is the perfect fit for Moser's high post 5 out offense. He doesn't run an offense like Billy Tubbs where every 4 or 5 on the team could post on the block, rebound, and score. His center is going to be a good enough shooter from outside to pull the defense away from the basket, can set screens, is athletic enough to cut and score around the basket, and is physical enough to defend and rebound. Centers in the college game today are more Jokic than Ewing.

Where Tanner was ineffective was with the physicality of the Big XII, and he wasn't as good of a passer as Chargois was. If you think about it, even Krutwig at Loyola was more of a high post center than on the blocks.

A 5 in Moser's offense is going to look more like Tanner Groves than Dickinson at Michigan or Tshiebwe at UK. We just need a better, more athletic version of Groves.

I agree completely. Moser has a little bit of Kelvin in him, maybe too much, in that if a guy makes a mistake, he pulls him immediately to sit on the bench. Fortunately, at least on offense, Chargois played well down the stretch to be able to do that.

But as it was mentioned, a guy like Tanner Groves is the perfect fit for Moser's high post 5 out offense. He doesn't run an offense like Billy Tubbs where every 4 or 5 on the team could post on the block, rebound, and score. His center is going to be a good enough shooter from outside to pull the defense away from the basket, can set screens, is athletic enough to cut and score around the basket, and is physical enough to defend and rebound. Centers in the college game today are more Jokic than Ewing.

Where Tanner was ineffective was with the physicality of the Big XII, and he wasn't as good of a passer as Chargois was. If you think about it, even Krutwig at Loyola was more of a high post center than on the blocks.

A 5 in Moser's offense is going to look more like Tanner Groves than Dickinson at Michigan or Tshiebwe at UK. We just need a better, more athletic version of Groves.

agreed.

So, as to the original question…any bigs that we have a legit shot at getting for next seasons team?

Back