You know it's bad when you lose 04

NickZepp

Reaction score
Death of a Program

OU Basketball died last month. A few of you noticed and probably mourned. Others heard the news and it brought them pause, like thinking of somebody for the first time in a long while and wondering what ever happened to them.

But, make no mistake, OU Basketball is dead.

It had glimpses of greatness and periods of darkness. It had moments of joy and doses of heartache.

OU Basketball was never better than from 1982 through 2009. In those 28 seasons OU Basketball established itself as a great program; a program to truly be proud of and whose accomplishments shouldn't be taken lightly.

In those 28 seasons, OU Basketball posted these numbers:

2: Final Fours
3: Elite Eights
3: Sweet Sixteens
22: NCAA Tournament Appearances
5: Conference Championships
6: Conference Tournament Championships
5: 30-win seasons
19: 20-win seasons
25: consecutive seasons with a postseason appearance (longest in USA when it ended)

In those 28 seasons, OU Basketball produced the greatest player in the history of the Big 8 Conference (Wayman Tisdale) and the only #1 pick in the history of the Big 12 Conference (Blake Griffin).

Presiding over the funeral will be the head coach, Jeff Capel. Under Capel, OU Basketball has reached lofty heights (first top-2 ranking since 1990) and depressing lows (first losing season since 1981). The 2011 season will, more than likely, be OU's second consecutive losing season...a depth that hasn't been achieved by the program since 1967.

Since Capel took over, OU Basketball has posted the following:

1: Losing season
2: Losing conference slates
10: Players who left before their junior years or earlier.
35: Double-digit losses
9: Game losing streak to end 2010, the longest since a 10-game streak in 1964.

Assisting with the casket will be the OU Athletic Department who, in light of last season's despicable closure, voted to not change the donation levels for lower level seats. It still requires a donation of $250 per seat to sit behind the goals and $500 per seat to sit along the sidelines even though most believe the 2011 OU Basketball team will finish either 11th or 12th in the final season of Big 12 Basketball.

Also on hand will be members of the front office of the Oklahoma City Thunder, whose team has feasted on former Sooner fans who once sat on the fence of OU Basketball fandom. With the success of the Thunder, more and more Sooner fans choose to spend their money in downtown Oklahoma City rather than inside the confines of the Lloyd Noble Center.

Also in attendance will be Sherri Coale, whose grass roots approach to marketing her basketball team has further ciphoned fans from the OU Basketball men. She has proven again and again that success can be attained by running a generally drama-free program stocked with solid, upstanding citizens who can connect with the "down-home" virtues of those fans who love their basketball in this great state.

It has been an exhilarating ride. But all good things must come to an end. In lieu of flowers those who love OU Basketball ask that you sit back and think of what once was, and what will probably never be again.

Think of Alvan.
Think of Wayman.
Think of cutting down the nets in Allen Fieldhouse.
Think of T-Mac, Choo and DJ.
Think of Harvey, Mookie, Dave, Stacey and Ricky.
Think of the Skeeter Meter.
Think of Ski.
Think of Billy.
Think of The Creator and The Helicopter.
Think of Kelvin.
Think of Minor and Ontjes.
Think of Abercrombie from the corner.
Think of Eduardo.
Think of Hollis and Quannas and Ebi and Aaron and Jabahri.
Think of Bookout and Taj and Terrell.
Think of AJ and Crocker.
Think of Blake.

Those who love OU Basketball, they thank you for your kind thoughts.

And they ask that the last one to leave please turn out the lights.

Wow!!! Talk about a wake up call!

In case some of you may be questioning Sooner04's critique of the state of OU men's basketball, you would be hard-pressed to match his support and enthusiasm for our program over the past few decades. When he talks about the good years from 1982 through 2009, it's because he was there to experience it, in person. 04 has lived what many of us only pretend to be. I don't agree with everything he said, but I respect his right to say it.

I really hope he is wrong. Things seem pretty bad right now.

Good post from a great poster.

But, OU basketball is not completely dead. Its not hard to bring a program out of a rut. They just need the right coach and the right players. Of course, that is true anywhere, but it will be easy to achieve at a top 20 program like OU.

I do think he is right about Jeff Capel though.

I am not completely down on Capel, but if the opportunity arises we should re-hire Kelvin.

What scares me about the state of the program is I honestly have a problem trying to make a compelling argument right now against his sentiment. Things just look bleak which really bothers me, I hope I am wrong.

They haven't lost me, Nick. I will support them in the good and the bad, come hell or high water (side note - none of my professional rooting interests have won a championship in my lifetime).

What they "lost" was OU Basketball. I don't know how they recover from this. There are more things to pull supporters from OU Basketball than ever before, and the wider the divide the harder it will be to close.

It's just really, really sad....at least to me. I've grown up worshipping OU Basketball. I've been going to games since I was in the womb. True story: my argument was so passionate that my wife gave serious consideration to my request that if I ever have a son his middle name would be Wayman.

I try to look at the bright side most of the time. Sure, I get down, but I can usually make some lemonade out of life's little sour notes. But this.....this is an unmitigated disaster. We're fighting tooth and nail to beat the scrubs in Norman and we're getting smoked by average D-1 competition away from home. If we beat Cincinnati in the All-College next Saturday it will be our first win away from the Lloyd Noble Center in 371 days. 371! We're one of top programs in college basketball over the last 30 years, and we haven't won a game on the road in over a year? That's absurd!

But I'll still go to the games. I'll still cheer like mad and pick myself off the floor when we lose. But it hurts. Not as much as a loss in a big game, but it still hurts.

I don't want to know what happens if it ever stops hurting. That's apathy, I suppose. I hope I never get there.

But I'll still go to the games. I'll still cheer like mad and pick myself off the floor when we lose. But it hurts. Not as much as a loss in a big game, but it still hurts.
This is my sentiment at this point in the season, still going to be at every home game living and dying with every shot.

They haven't lost me, Nick. I will support them in the good and the bad, come hell or high water (side note - none of my professional rooting interests have won a championship in my lifetime).

What they "lost" was OU Basketball. I don't know how they recover from this. There are more things to pull supporters from OU Basketball than ever before, and the wider the divide the harder it will be to close.

It's just really, really sad....at least to me. I've grown up worshipping OU Basketball. I've been going to games since I was in the womb. True story: my argument was so passionate that my wife gave serious consideration to my request that if I ever have a son his middle name would be Wayman.

I try to look at the bright side most of the time. Sure, I get down, but I can usually make some lemonade out of life's little sour notes. But this.....this is an unmitigated disaster. We're fighting tooth and nail to beat the scrubs in Norman and we're getting smoked by average D-1 competition away from home. If we beat Cincinnati in the All-College next Saturday it will be our first win away from the Lloyd Noble Center in 371 days. 371! We're one of top programs in college basketball over the last 30 years, and we haven't won a game on the road in over a year? That's absurd!

I don't want to know what happens if it ever stops hurting. That's apathy, I suppose. I hope I never get there.

I know you will still be a fan just like I will always be a fan of OU even if I'm overly critical and it's fair to say I am sometimes. But it's just real tough to even watch OU basketball the last couple of years. They just look so poorly coached as a team. Last year I can believe it was the players some but with a different roster they are still making the same basic mistakes.

The good thing about basketball is it's not that hard to recover fairly quickly. Baylor was one of the worst programs ever just about 8 years ago and still weren't any good about 3 or 4 years ago.

Kansas State was real bad the last decade or so till Huggins came in and turned them around and now they are a really solid program.

All you need in basketball is a true star or 2 or 3 good solid players and you have a good team real quick. I know we aren't good right now. Probably worse than we should be 5 years into a coaches program. Let's face the facts on Capel's recruiting it's just not been any good. But as I said all you need is a couple good players and better coaching I'm afraid.

Exactly Nick. I appreciate 04's eloquent writings, but to say OU basketball is "dead" is a stretch IMHO

I dont want Kelvin. He bailed on us and left us holding the bag.

I dont want Kelvin. He bailed on us and left us holding the bag.

My sentiments exactly. Is Kelvin a better coach than Capel? Absolutely.
Would OU be better off as a program right now with Kelvin? Absolutely.
But the dude bailed on OU. He crapped, didn't flush and walked out the door.
Lots of guys out there can turn this around. I hope Joe C finds one sooner than later.

Back