#15 OU vs WVU 7pm CST on ESPN+

I think, at least for me, is that Cooper is buying in. Kid was offered by ku...so I believe he's talented. In today's instant NIL world who knows. Hopefully Cooper is good with this as well. Just my 2 cents
I had the same thought in the last 5ish minutes when it seemed like OU had the win in the bag and Cooper didn't sub in - I assume (hope) that Moser is having continual conversations with Cooper about the plan for him, and that Cooper is aligned.

I think, at least for me, is that Cooper is buying in. Kid was offered by ku...so I believe he's talented. In today's instant NIL world who knows. Hopefully Cooper is good with this as well. Just my 2 cents
All I know aside from Cooper getting some early playing time is that both Cole and he show they are very athletic when they warmup. I think we are still going to need Cooper at some critical points this year. I am glad he got some investment early in the year and hope it is enough.

Yes, and then there is the question of next year which requires managing this year. Coaches have a much tougher job in this new world. I remember watching Stacey King when he was a freshman and wondering about his playing time, whether he’d be able to earn more time even though he did play some. But back then you didn’t worry about him leaving.

Last edited:
All I know aside from Cooper getting some early playing time is that both Cole and he show they are very athletic when they warmup. I think we are still going to need Cooper at some critical points this year. I am glad he got some investment early in the year and hope it is enough.

Yes, and then there is the question of next year which requires managing this year. Coaches have a much tougher job in this new world. I remember watching Stacey King when he was a freshman and wondering about his playing time, whether he’d be able to earn more time even though he did play some. But back then you didn’t worry about him leaving.
I think there was a story about Tubbs sitting next to him on the plane on the way home from the season-ending loss trying to make sure he didn't leave, because King was ready to bolt. I think his family and Billy worked hard to convince him to stay. I'd say that worked out well for all involved! :)

Maybe he's not as good as you think yet. Maybe Moser thinks playing other more experienced players give OU a better chance to win.
You can't compare the situation to KU. KU has a much more talented roster playing along side their freshman. They have a lot more margin for error than OU.
They can cover freshman mistakes easier and still win games.
OU's margin is so thin that playing a freshman that isn't ready could likely be the tipping point in losing a game.

And with all of that said, if Cooper did play more and we dropped a few games, you would likely be the first one chiming in saying its dumb that Moser is playing a freshman that isn't ready. You likely would not be OK with the loses even though it is giving Cooper good experience and learning on the job.

Moser's job is on the line. I highly doubt he isn't putting the best pieces out there to win
Again, there is zero chance playing Cooper would have created any risk of losing in about 7 or 8 of our noncon games. Look at those box scores. We didn't just win big, we had huge leads throughout. I'm not saying you have to play him 20 minutes against USC when the game is tight. But six or seven minutes a half in the vast majority of our games would have had no downside and potentially a lot of upside.

KU has three great players (McCullar and Dickinson are the two best in the conference, and Adams is a much better version of Jalen Moore), plus a very good, experienced PG in Harris. After that, as their fans and coaches admit, they fall off quickly. There was a ton of pressure on the three freshmen to produce, because Timberlake, the transfer they brought in to their sharpshooter, has been awful. Rather than just hoping Timberlake figured it out, Self gave the freshmen, especially Jackson and Furphy, plenty of chances. I actually this is one year where our roster compares fairly well to KU one through nine; they just have a better top 3.

this again, after a win? how about that one freshman who has played well in limited minutes the last 2 games? good move by coach, and credit northweather for being ready to play center. hope that guy is on campus for 3 more years.

but yeah, turnovers. oi.

Again, there is zero chance playing Cooper would have created any risk of losing in about 7 or 8 of our noncon games. Look at those box scores. We didn't just win big, we had huge leads throughout. I'm not saying you have to play him 20 minutes against USC when the game is tight. But six or seven minutes a half in the vast majority of our games would have had no downside and potentially a lot of upside.

KU has three great players (McCullar and Dickinson are the two best in the conference, and Adams is a much better version of Jalen Moore), plus a very good, experienced PG in Harris. After that, as their fans and coaches admit, they fall off quickly. There was a ton of pressure on the three freshmen to produce, because Timberlake, the transfer they brought in to their sharpshooter, has been awful. Rather than just hoping Timberlake figured it out, Self gave the freshmen, especially Jackson and Furphy, plenty of chances. I actually this is one year where our roster compares fairly well to KU one through nine; they just have a better top 3.
I get your point, I just think the Moser knew Cooper wouldn't be ready to contribute in the Big 12 this year and that he would rather give more minutes together with the rotation that will be playing in conference.

OU brought in a slew of new players. Moser's job was on the line (and many here felt entering the season that it should be). So given a choice of allowing a bunch of experienced players that mostly hadn't played together to gel so that we might have a successful season or stealing minutes from our experienced players to get a true freshman some game action is an easy call for me.

OU brought in a slew of new players. Moser's job was on the line (and many here felt entering the season that it should be). So given a choice of allowing a bunch of experienced players that mostly hadn't played together to gel so that we might have a successful season or stealing minutes from our experienced players to get a true freshman some game action is an easy call for me.
Agreed. If Cooper showed he was ready to contribute and make an incremental impact, he would be playing.

this again, after a win? how about that one freshman who has played well in limited minutes the last 2 games? good move by coach, and credit northweather for being ready to play center. hope that guy is on campus for 3 more years.

but yeah, turnovers. oi.

Good call on Northweather. He has looked like he belonged the last few games. Exciting to see that production from him.

Good call on Northweather. He has looked like he belonged the last few games. Exciting to see that production from him.
I agree on Northweather...he has brought value in the few minutes he has played recently. Maybe we could potentially say the same about Cooper....but we will never know unfortunately.

Cole redshirting? didn't he have some surgery at the beginning of the year?

I really couldn't care less who plays and who doesn't...not there at practice or games to see, that's on the staff. If we were 3-14 and nothing changing that might be a different story. I was just "concerned" about keeping our young talented guys around ....I agree coaching now is much more than x's/o's ..it's a constant recruiting battle every year.

Cole redshirting? didn't he have some surgery at the beginning of the year?

I really couldn't care less who plays and who doesn't...not there at practice or games to see, that's on the staff. If we were 3-14 and nothing changing that might be a different story. I was just "concerned" about keeping our young talented guys around ....I agree coaching now is much more than x's/o's ..it's a constant recruiting battle every year.
He is redshirting... He's on board. fully recovered from knee surgery a year ago. maybe 1.5 years ago.

I think he and cooper will stick it out. Porter so far has a great track record for developing.

On a unimportant note, what was Godwin's 4th foul about, even with replay I can't see it. .This team is not on a roll but that can change as fast as one shooter getting hot.

On a unimportant note, what was Godwin's 4th foul about, even with replay I can't see it. .This team is not on a roll but that can change as fast as one shooter getting hot.
Exactly, if Soares, Darthard, Oweh can hit a combined 2-4 threes a game, this team is a tough out for anyone.

If he can’t show it in practice you expect it in games? I know some guys don’t practice well.

I want it as well for cooper!
he is a Plus defender and doesn't make mistakes .. that is winning basketball

I've been a little bullish on Cooper, I know that. I want Darthard to succeed. That really is best case for this team. He is a plus defender, reliable with the ball, not selfish, a glue guy that this team needs. I think more was expected of in the scoring department. I'd just like to see Cooper get a few minutes a game. But the guard rotation is pretty deep.

Back