2014-15 Roster (updated 5-19-2014)

SoonerTraveler

Reaction score
OU MEN’S BASKETBALL // 2014-15 Roster (12 scholarship players)
As of May 19, 2014

Seniors (2 Scholarship Players)
> TaShawn Thomas … 6-8, 240 … Killeen, TX / University of Houston (*)
> D.J. Bennett ... 6-8, 212, F ... Orland Park, Illinois / Indian Hills CC, Iowa

Juniors (4)
> Ryan Spangler ... 6-8, 232, F ... Bridge Creek, OK / Gonzaga
> Buddy Hield ... 6-4, 208, G .. Wichita, KS (Sunrise Christian Academy)
> Isaiah Cousins ... 6-4, 186, G ... Mount Vernon, NY
> Dinjiyl Walker ... 6-2, 195, G .. Iowa Western Community College

Sophomores (3)
> Jordan Woodard ... 6-0, 185, PG ... Edmond, OK (Memorial HS)
> Frank Booker ... 6’4, 198, SG ... Augusta, Georgia
> C.J. Cole ... 6-7, 228, F ... Sperry, OK

Freshmen (3)
> Dante Buford … 6-7, 210, PF … Jacksonville, Florida
> Khadeem Lattin … 6-9, 210, F … Houston, Texas / Canarius Academy
> Jamuni McNeace … 6-9, 205, C … Allen, Texas

Walk-on Players (subject to change)
> James Fraschilla ... Senior, 5-10,153, G ... Dallas Highland Park
> Daniel Harper … Soph, 6-1, 176, G … Norman, OK
> Austin Mankin … Soph, 6-7, 197, F … Coppell, TX
> Trey Slate … Soph, 6-1, 202, G … Gore, OK
> Bola Alade … Freshman, 6-5, 185, SG … Plano, TX

Backcourt
> Isaiah Cousins ... 6-4, 186, G, Junior
> Buddy Hield ... 6-4, 208, G, Junior
> Dinjiyl Walker... 6-2, 195, G, Junior
> Jordan Woodard ... 6-0, 185, PG, Sophomore
> Frank Booker ... 6’4, 198, SG, Sophomore

Frontcourt
> TaShawn Thomas … 6-8, 240, F, Senior (*)
> D.J. Bennett ... 6-8, 212, F, Senior
> Ryan Spangler ... 6-8, 232, F, Junior
> C.J. Cole ... 6-7, 228, F, Sophomore
> Dante Buford … 6-7, 210, PF, Freshman
> Khadeem Lattin … 6-9, 210, F, Freshman
> Jamuni McNeace … 6-9, 205, C, Freshman

(*) Transfer status pending NCAA ruling. Possible redshirt in 2014-15.

I can't help but think... Say thomas isn't allowed to play...

Him back next year and adding a one and done like Alonzo Trier! Gives me a national championship vibe!!

I can't help but think... Say thomas isn't allowed to play...

Him back next year and adding a one and done like Alonzo Trier! Gives me a national championship vibe!!

Agreed! Whether Thomas redshirts or not, it is a good deal either way. If he does have to redshirt, the senior class in 2015-16 would be amazing.

Still, I hope the NCAA lets him play right away.

Agreed! Whether Thomas redshirts or not, it is a good deal either way. If he does have to redshirt, the senior class in 2015-16 would be amazing.

Still, I hope the NCAA lets him play right away.

I like the thought of him being here next year. Think about the guards and bigs (with expiernce)!

Really hope he is eligible, 1 so we can insert him right away and let the young guys learn, but 2, so we don't graduate 5 guys at once and have to turnover 1/3 of our roster in 1 year.

I'll be thrilled if Thomas is eligible this fall, but won't be unhappy if he's not. Either way, he's a huge addition to our roster.

Thomas also adds more experience to what will still be a relatively young team. I like what he said in the SoonerScoop article about using his experience to help the young guys:

But both McNeace and Lattin, as incoming freshmen, are raw and unproven. Thomas plans to try to teach the young guys what he's learned throughout his career.

"I feel like, with the experience I have, I think I can help them out a lot," Thomas said. "I feel like I can contribute more there because they've got those younger guys, and I can pass on my experience onto them."

I'll be thrilled if Thomas is eligible this fall, but won't be unhappy if he's not. Either way, he's a huge addition to our roster.

Thomas also adds more experience to what will still be a relatively young team. I like what he said in the SoonerScoop article about using his experience to help the young guys:

Could you think what he could teach them in 2 years! Oh goodness!

Could you think what he could teach them in 2 years! Oh goodness!

Good point. There would be some benefits if he has to sit out next year. Among them, a season to improve his game and to work with our incoming freshmen post players.

I think in my mind it comes out as how much of a risk do you want to take in 2016-17 to have a big year in 2015-16. It would likely show some growing pains this year as we get the young guys minutes, and then with their added experience, him being eligible and all those seniors in 2015-16 we could be up for a big run. Then in 16-17 we would have 5 freshman potentially (probably a transfer or juco) learning the big 12 but still have woodard and our bigs would have more experience, but that's a lot of turnover with only 1 sophomore getting experience that year.

I think you have to go big when you get the chances. Long term success is great and I think Kruger sustains that no matter what, so if you have one year to go for it all you do it. I think I might have moved over to 'team has to sit out this year' haha

I think in my mind it comes out as how much of a risk do you want to take in 2016-17 to have a big year in 2015-16. It would likely show some growing pains this year as we get the young guys minutes, and then with their added experience, him being eligible and all those seniors in 2015-16 we could be up for a big run. Then in 16-17 we would have 5 freshman potentially (probably a transfer or juco) learning the big 12 but still have woodard and our bigs would have more experience, but that's a lot of turnover with only 1 sophomore getting experience that year....

If everyone stays, then the 2016-17 roster will have these seniors and juniors.

2016-17 Seniors (3)

2016-17 Juniors (3)
> Dante Buford … 6-7, 210+, PF … Jacksonville, Florida
> Khadeem Lattin … 6-9, 210+, F … Houston, Texas / Canarius Academy
> Jamuni McNeace … 6-9, 205+, C … Allen, Texas

In addition, we can safely expect Coach Kruger and his staff to have some solid sophomores with some experience to go with these guys; not to mention a more experienced transfer in there somewhere.

It certainly could be a big year in 2015-16, but the beat goes on. No doubt it will be interesting to see how the guys listed above develop and improve, and also to see what the upcoming recruiting classes bring to the roster.

Trav, I always appreciate your roster updates. I like the format of your information.

2016-17 Seniors (3)

2016-17 Juniors (3)

In addition, we can safely expect Coach Kruger and his staff to have some solid sophomores with some experience to go with these guys; not to mention a more experienced transfer in there somewhere.

It certainly could be a big year in 2015-16, but the beat goes on. No doubt it will be interesting to see how the guys listed above develop and improve, and also to see what the upcoming recruiting classes bring to the roster.

15-16 has a chance to be a special year!

2016-17 Seniors (3)

2016-17 Juniors (3)

This is the part I'm worried about it Thomas isn't eligible this year. If he has to sit out, there will be only 1 sophomore to go along with these upper classmen. I agree that looks pretty good on paper, but we are assuming all 3 posts pan out, and no one transfers. We are only 4 deep on players we can assume will be solid by jr/sr year in Woodard, Booker, Buford and Lattin, with McNease and Cole both wildcards (could even put Lattin halfway in this category).

That's not even a starting 5, so freshman are going to be contributing big time on that team. Not the worst thing because potentially after two big seasons and a new arena announcement/possibly new construction started, we could real in some big fish. Just showing how it you take on a lot of risk when your classes aren't balanced and you have to take a class of 5 in a year.

This is the part I'm worried about it Thomas isn't eligible this year. If he has to sit out, there will be only 1 sophomore to go along with these upper classmen.

I believe there would be two. Bennett's scholarship, and we currently, even after Walker and Thomas, have one unused scholarship available.

IF it plays out like that, I just hope we don't have to turn away a talented 2015 kid due to lack of 'ships. The staff has been recruiting that class hard for a couple of years now, and we might be at a point of only being able to take one guard. Which might be fine, or it might not.

I believe there would be two. Bennett's scholarship, and we currently, even after Walker and Thomas, have one unused scholarship available.

IF it plays out like that, I just hope we don't have to turn away a talented 2015 kid due to lack of 'ships. The staff has been recruiting that class hard for a couple of years now, and we might be at a point of only being able to take one guard. Which might be fine, or it might not.

It really depends... Presumably Grandstaff is out of the mix again, Trier will be a tough get, and who knows with Milton?

I think we definitely try and take the max in 2015 (be it 2 or 3), because we'll be graduating 4 or 5 the following year.

It really depends... Presumably Grandstaff is out of the mix again, Trier will be a tough get, and who knows with Milton?

I think we definitely try and take the max in 2015 (be it 2 or 3), because we'll be graduating 4 or 5 the following year.

I expect 1 more to open. After 14-15 season

That is correct. If Thomas does NOT get the waiver and everybody else comes back, then OU can give two (2) scholarships in the 2015 recruiting class.

If the NCAA does approve the Thomas waiver and everybody else comes back, then OU can give three (3) scholarships in the 2015 recruiting class.

usedtobe1 ... I appreciate the feedback! I type these things up so I can keep up with roster changes, so it is easy to paste these into a thread.

usedtobe1 ... I appreciate the feedback! I type these things up so I can keep up with roster changes, so it is easy to paste these into a thread.

Yep, very helpful. I also created a little Excel chart so I could track it myself between your postings. Got tired of trying to count up who was on scholarship. I'm a visual person. :)

Great, thanks guys! My mistake, I definitely feel a lot better knowing we have 2 maybe 3 next year. Even just 2 guys is a big improvement in overall team depth. It's surprising, but that 1 extra ship makes me happy either way the NCAA chooses. I want immediate gratification in seeing Thomas play this year, but man could 2015-16 be special if he has to wait

Yep, very helpful. I also created a little Excel chart so I could track it myself between your postings. Got tired of trying to count up who was on scholarship. I'm a visual person. :)

I'm also a visual person. Its the accountant in me, and seems to be the only way I can wrap my arms around things. :D

Back