2022 recruiting rankings

I think I think a lot more of Jacob Groves than most on here. He isn't there yet, but I think he will be a better "big" than Tanner. I think both of the Groves brothers will be greatly improved next year. I like Mawein as well. So, in my mind, those three will be fine as the bigs next year. I go back and forth on Rick. I see great potential, but he needs to play and I don't know if he will ever be able to get that opportunity at this level. He might need to go down a level and start playing 30 minutes a game. But, if Porter thinks he can develop here, I am OK with that.

As for the outside players, I know Harkless and Gibson can come back but haven't heard if they want to. I could see one or both just taking whatever chance they have at pro ball or just moving on to whatever.

The oweh and Schroeder kids will make us look and play a little bigger next year. Both are tall wings, which at the moment, only Hill fits that description.

Watched film on Uzon and just think he is going to walk in an start almost immediately at the point. Tall and athletic and a very natural point with good handles. He is like Cortes in that he is a pass first guard.

Cortes is interesting. It will be fun to see what he becomes. I think he has great potential. If he puts in the work, then he could hold off Uzon. He is either playing out of class, or he is the next steve kerr. I guess we will find out.

If they progress, Noland and Mason will be good pieces of a rotation puzzle. But, I think Porter will go bigger at least at one wing position and keep Hill in the lineup as well. So, they might be fighting for playing time at one spot.

If Harkless, Gibson and/or Rick leaves, then I will be surprised if this staff doesn't bring in a pretty good player or two. There track records with this just signed class looks exceptional to me.

Agreed, it's a big IF and it's a tough call for Porter. I'm not sure how active he and his staff will be in the portal. They had to be very active last year out of necessity, but we'll see. Issanza hasn't shown anything to show he can play at this level. Harkless is just so offensively challenged, while being a good defender. Gibson is a good shooter, but due to his size, there is a lot of overlap with Cortes, Noland, Mason, and Uzan. All are in the 6'1-6'3 range, I'd like to get a little bigger there. There will be better overall guards in the portal.

And for Harkless and Gibson it might be in their best interest to move on and play professional overseas. They're not making the NBA with one more year, and I doubt there are substantive NIL deals for them staying.

To be honest, it might be in OU’s best interest if Harkless and Gibson explore their options overseas. I hate to say it, but our offense has hit a stalemate in the last few games. While those two are definitely not to blame entirely, it may be time to move in another direction if there is a reasonable opportunity to do so.

To be honest, it might be in OU’s best interest if Harkless and Gibson explore their options overseas. I hate to say it, but our offense has hit a stalemate in the last few games. While those two are definitely not to blame entirely, it may be time to move in another direction if there is a reasonable opportunity to do so.

Of the two, I think Mo is the guy I’d like to keep, because every team needs a shooter like him. If the new guards coming in are good enough to create more open shots for Mo, he could be a huge weapon. When he struggles now, it is because defenses can key on him because they don’t have to worry about any of our other guards creating their own shots. Mo’s shot is a very good weapon, whereas Harkless doesn’t have anything comparable.

I think how this season ends could impact how active Moser is in creating a roster spot or two, and looking for a transfers.

If the season falls apart and we end up in the bottom 2-3 teams in the Big 12, I think he'll be more active. If the team rebounds and plays well from here out, and we end up in 5th or 6th place, maybe he's more content to ride with many of the same players again.

I just think we're limited with guys like Gibson and Harkless. I like them both individually well enough, but with the cutting offense we run, Gibson just doesn't have the size to do much other than be a shooter. Harkless just isn't skilled enough on offense to be starting next to a PG and SG that have the limitations that our's have.

SOMETHING has to change to next year. I don't think we can count on the true freshman, or even Noland. Really hoping we go get a stud guard from the Portal. Somebody that can go get us 15 a night, while shooting pretty efficiently.

Zero chance Mo, Harkless are told to go.

Absolutely comical.

Zero chance Mo, Harkless are told to go.

Absolutely comical.

i agree but i do wonder if they will want to go start their careers ..

Harkless will be 22 .. next month ..

and Mo will be 24 this summer ..

i agree but i do wonder if they will want to go start their careers ..

Harkless will be 22 .. next month ..

and Mo will be 24 this summer ..

I think that’s what most of us were doing. No one that I recall was saying Harkless and Mo should be kicked to the side of the curb. But, if one or both decided to pursue their options overseas, that may not be the end all for OU basketball.

As much as I have appreciated both players and their contribution to the program the past two years, I realize they’re limited in some areas. If they decide to come back for another season, they will have my support. If not, I’ll look forward to watching the players Coach Moser brings in to replace them.

Never crossed my mind Porter would run Harkless or Gibson off. Agree with Ada. Just saying they may want to move on with their lives or try pro ball.

I love the look of the kids he just signed and just hope they are not stolen by next year. If they are any indication of what we can expect in recruiting, I would expect or suspect we would be happy with any new players he would bring in.

The big recruiting question for any coach at OU, and Moser, is whether he can recruit one or more competent talented big that doesn't grow up in the shadow of Owen field. Hoping Moser can do that as he has a good reputation with developing bigs (according to Tanner Groves, who chose OU due to that).

We don't have many bigs in Oklahoma high schools so, maybe from Texas or Arkansas.

Moser isn't going to sit pat with a roster he doesn't feel like he can win with. Moser doesn't owe a 24 year old Harkless anything. Period. I didn't realize he was that old. Knowing that.....a) I think he'll make the decision to move on himself, and b) I think Moser should help him make that decision if he is struggling with it.

Easy peasy. We have to get better next year, and it won't be a bunch of freshman that lead that charge.

Moser isn't going to sit pat with a roster he doesn't feel like he can win with. Moser doesn't owe a 24 year old Harkless anything. Period. I didn't realize he was that old. Knowing that.....a) I think he'll make the decision to move on himself, and b) I think Moser should help him make that decision if he is struggling with it.

Easy peasy. We have to get better next year, and it won't be a bunch of freshman that lead that charge.

I agree....Moser was hired to win bball games and IMPROVE from the previous years. He took both guys this year because they both wanted to stay and are an asset to THIS team.

Moser wants HIS guys to run his system. Any coach does. It's time to move forward.

Just my opinion but I think possibly 2 of our 3 freshman hit the portal after this season.

Just my opinion but I think possibly 2 of our 3 freshman hit the portal after this season.

I assume you mean Mason, but why in the world would either Cortes or Noland leave? They're getting good minutes for freshmen.

Mo will be 24. Harkless 22

So please tell me how Moser won't "move on from" Harkless at the end of the season when he just took him out of the starting lineup and only played him for 4-5 minutes tonight?

I almost guarantee at least one of Gibson/Harkless won't be on the roster next season.

Gibson, I think has actually been our second or third best player on the season. I love how hard he plays. Harkless has been up and down this year, but he's a leader and our best wing defender. I get their limitations, but I'd take both back with the added freshmen.
Cortes/FR
Gibson/Noland
Harkless/FR
Hill/Groves
Groves/Mawein

That to me is a real solid team. 4-6 range in the Big 12 with potential to make runs/beat good teams. Probably not a athletic enough team still or good enough offensively, but better than this season I believe.
Hard thing is recruiting in 4/5 big that is legit good and wants to play/start. Probably can't bench Groves and only option would be moving Hill to the wing. Which he hasn't really done since freshmen year. I think Cortes and Noland are stars.. Cortes will make this team run so much better than Goldwire.

Gibson, I think has actually been our second or third best player on the season. I love how hard he plays. Harkless has been up and down this year, but he's a leader and our best wing defender. I get their limitations, but I'd take both back with the added freshmen.
Cortes/FR
Gibson/Noland
Harkless/FR
Hill/Groves
Groves/Mawein

That to me is a real solid team. 4-6 range in the Big 12 with potential to make runs/beat good teams. Probably not a athletic enough team still or good enough offensively, but better than this season I believe.
Hard thing is recruiting in 4/5 big that is legit good and wants to play/start. Probably can't bench Groves and only option would be moving Hill to the wing. Which he hasn't really done since freshmen year. I think Cortes and Noland are stars.. Cortes will make this team run so much better than Goldwire.

I just don't see how you think that team would be any different than this year's team. It's the SAME team, less a veteran starting PG, and with a younger bench. We have a few guys that can still improve, but I think guys like Gibson, Harkless, and probably even Hill are maxed out. JMO, but that roster, I'm afraid, would perform a lot like this year's. I'm not saying we need to overhaul it, but I think we need to add a starting-caliber transfer at either the 2 or 3 spot. A guy that can go get points when the offense is struggling.

I just don't see how you think that team would be any different than this year's team. It's the SAME team, less a veteran starting PG, and with a younger bench. We have a few guys that can still improve, but I think guys like Gibson, Harkless, and probably even Hill are maxed out. JMO, but that roster, I'm afraid, would perform a lot like this year's. I'm not saying we need to overhaul it, but I think we need to add a starting-caliber transfer at either the 2 or 3 spot. A guy that can go get points when the offense is struggling.

I don't now about maxed out, another year in the same system would show improvement. I thought age 27 was the peak year in a basketball players skill, of course you have to be good enough to keep playing professionally that long.

I don't now about maxed out, another year in the same system would show improvement. I thought age 27 was the peak year in a basketball players skill, of course you have to be good enough to keep playing professionally that long.

Hill is far from maxed out

Back