3-pt shooting is the difference

bearcreekfan

Reaction score
At halftime today, I commented to my wife how bad Manek and James were shooting. When we left Coleman Coliseum, I heard an AL father tell his son they won because they played great defense, but I told my wife when we got in the car that OU lost because of James'/Maneks' poor shooting.

trueou said this in the game thread today:
"Too many missed open threes."

Dean Blevins Tweeted this:
"Manek & James combine for just 3-of-14 from open-look 3’s. And just 9 FT attempts, which is bad any way you look at it. Losing numbers on road v good team."
...that's open-look 3s, where AL's defense didn't really make a difference.

jaymOU said this in his post two days ago:
"The real issue, like OSU and KSU is what happens if Manek and James are not shooting the ball well? James has been better going to the basket, but Manek seems like a 3 or a dunk right now."

3-pt shooting in OU's losses this year:
Ark: 8/29, James/Manek: 2/11, 2 from the bench
WVU: 7/20, James/Manek: 2/5, but Young: 3/12 - 2 from McGusty off the bench
KSU: 7/25, James/Manek: 4/10, but Young: 2/10 - none from the bench
OSU: 10/35, James/Manek: 2/13, and Young: 8/20 - none from the bench
AL: 8/27, James/Manek: 3/14, and Young: 4/9 (pretty good) - 1/4 from the bench (McGusty)

For reference, KU: 9/23, James/Manek: 7/15, 2 from Young and none from the bench

I know OUr defense wasn't good, the team looked lackadaisical at times with weak layups that got blocked (instead of dunks) and not much boxing out for rebounds, and AL played much tougher today. However, if OU makes just three of those 3-pt misses, we win.

At halftime today, I commented to my wife how bad Manek and James were shooting. When we left Coleman Coliseum, I heard an AL father tell his son they won because they played great defense, but I told my wife when we got in the car that OU lost because of James'/Maneks' poor shooting.

trueou said this in the game thread today:
"Too many missed open threes."

Dean Blevins Tweeted this:
"Manek & James combine for just 3-of-14 from open-look 3’s. And just 9 FT attempts, which is bad any way you look at it. Losing numbers on road v good team."
...that's open-look 3s, where AL's defense didn't really make a difference.

jaymOU said this in his post two days ago:
"The real issue, like OSU and KSU is what happens if Manek and James are not shooting the ball well? James has been better going to the basket, but Manek seems like a 3 or a dunk right now."

3-pt shooting in OU's losses this year:
Ark: 8/29, James/Manek: 2/11, 2 from the bench
WVU: 7/20, James/Manek: 2/5, but Young: 3/12 - 2 from McGusty off the bench
KSU: 7/25, James/Manek: 4/10, but Young: 2/10 - none from the bench
OSU: 10/35, James/Manek: 2/13, and Young: 8/20 - none from the bench
AL: 8/27, James/Manek: 3/14, and Young: 4/9 (pretty good) - 1/4 from the bench (McGusty)

For reference, KU: 9/23, James/Manek: 7/15, 2 from Young and none from the bench

I know OUr defense wasn't good, the team looked lackadaisical at times with weak layups that got blocked (instead of dunks) and not much boxing out for rebounds, and AL played much tougher today. However, if OU makes just three of those 3-pt misses, we win.

I agree with what you say but expecting James and Manek to shoot 50% BTA as the criterion for the win is a little bit much. It is not all on them even though neither brought their "A" game. From my perspective the Tide wanted the game more than the Sooners and their effort showed the difference. They defended the rim better, were defensively sound, won the scrambles for loose balls and had 1 more FG on 17 fewer shots. Best team last night won.

You’re exactly right. I sat in the OU section and that’s all we talked about. Have to hit the open shots. Another key point was the multiple empty possessions when it was tied 60-60. Couldn’t get one to go, turnovers, etc. just played poorly and got whooped. Hated that I was there to see it but they’ll be ok.

And how strange was that gym?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And this is why I do not believe this team can go far this year. If you are that relient on the 3, you will die by it. And OU has, against good teams. Which in the NCAA tournament, they will be playing good teams.

Some people may have hated Kelvin's philosophies but i'll tell you one thing, OU won many a game because they were tough physically and played great defense. This allowed them to win games when shots weren't falling. Make no mistake I'm not advocating completely taking on the Kelvin type deal, but OU is completely opposite. Soft and poor defense. Now when they are hitting shots they can be very good. But in basketball you can't have that every night, or even most nights. Some nights you have to win on grit, toughness, and defense. OU needs to find their middle ground..

OU can beat anyone when their shots are falling. This team has already proved that in some impressive wins this season. When they’re not, this team struggles because they don’t have a reliable game to fall back on, defense for example.

Bama was not a better team. They just wanted it more. They were more athletic, quicker to the ball, more aggressive on the boards and in driving to the hole. OU failed to match their intensity and the rest is history. We saw the same thing at WVU and K-State.

That has to change. Time for this OU team to put on their big boy pants and be the aggressor for a change. It needs to begin with defense. Take a page out of what Bama did to us.

EDIT: I see Stikboy and I were typing at the same time, but we were having similar thoughts, especially about defense.

OU can beat anyone when their shots are falling. This team has already proved that in some impressive wins this season. When they’re not, this team struggles because they don’t have a reliable game to fall back on, defense for example.

Bama was not a better team. They just wanted it more. They were more athletic, quicker to the ball, more aggressive on the boards and in driving to the hole. OU failed to match their intensity and the rest is history. We saw the same thing at WVU and K-State.

That has to change. Time for this OU team to put on their big boy pants and be the aggressor for a change. It needs to begin with defense. Take a page out of what Bama did to us.

EDIT: I see Stikboy and I were typing at the same time, but we were having similar thoughts, especially about defense.

I love Lon and what he brings to the Sooners but the Sooners are a little soft when the going gets tough. Unless their shots are falling they have the tendency to lack the grit needed to win it other ways.

To me that is the root of the saying "defense wins championships". The offense can and will abandon you at any moment of any game or for entire games but defense never has to abandon you which can result in that needed W when you are playing like crap on the other end. Quality defense lets you have a chance every night out. Otherwise there are nights when you have little to no chance for victory.

UT: 3/22, James/Manek: 1/8, and Young: 2/14 - none from the bench

Our worst shooting from beyond the arc all season.

Again, I know there were other things that went wrong, like lazy plays and sloppy D, especially late, but Manek needs to figure out how to hit one or two (wide open) 3s on the road.

Hitting a couple of 3s in the second half would've helped open things up a little, and it would've given the guys some confidence that they could score outside of just transition baskets.

Trae made one 3-pointer at the 19:24 mark in the second half. He went on to miss his next/remaining 7. Manek missed his only 3-point attempt in the second half. No one else shot or made any in the second half.

Our shooting just covers up the teams deficiencies, we are going to live and die by it because this team fundamentally is flawed.

Today the last 6 minutes of the game we turned it over what 8 times ? including something like 5 of 6 possessions ? Also somehow sent them to the line like 20 times during that stretch.

Yes. We shot poorly from outside but we led by 9 with just over 7m remaining. We didn’t lose the last 7 minutes by 14 because we suddenly started shooting worse than we had been.

But I agree that the game is not even close if we hit much of anything from outside.

...But I agree that the game is not even close if we hit much of anything from outside.

That's really my point with this thread and the follow-up.

I know there are many reasons one could choose for why OU has lost games this season. But my point is that if we could just improve our 3-pt shooting a little bit (doesn't even have to be what it is at home), we'd have 2-4 more wins.

I know there are many reasons one could choose for why OU has lost games this season. But my point is that if we could just improve our 3-pt shooting a little bit (doesn't even have to be what it is at home), we'd have 2-4 more wins.

It begins with the mental part of it. Once Manek realized he wasn't hitting the 3s, I don't think he attempted another after the last one he put up. He needs to fight through it and continue to shoot until Lon says to quit. I was always taught if you are a shooter and they aren't falling you continue to try until you get one to fall. I think Manek should of at least tried to shoot a few more just to see if he could get one in.

True. To me that is too simplistic about tonight though. You cannot win tough road or tourney games simply by doing that. You have to make plays down the stretch and we were terrible tonight as we have been several times lately. Further, I believe so many misses that we make at home is also related to our toughness.

In this game, the difference was the 13 points at the free throw line. Even though they scored more from BTA, we hit seven more shots overall from the field and hit 52% to their 45%. We out rebounded them by 12. Outside the three point shooting, James and Manek played well enough. McNease and Odomes had great games. It was Trae who underperformed in his shooting....which is not unusual for ANY freshman in a conference road game. He’s struggled in most of these with shooting and/or turnovers. Tonight he did get 14 assists.

Young played 40 minutes tonight ,one of the main reasons the offense was so bad down the stretch .
Not having a viable option at backup pg is really hurting this team .

Offense wasnt the main problem. Defense and rebounding can still win the game when you are not shooting well. /This team doesnt play good defense. The defense is second rate.

Offense wasnt the main problem. Defense and rebounding can still win the game when you are not shooting well. /This team doesnt play good defense. The defense is second rate.

The team averaged less than 1 point per possession yesterday. There may have been other problems as well, but offense certainly was a problem.

Yes. We shot poorly from outside but we led by 9 with just over 7m remaining. We didn’t lose the last 7 minutes by 14 because we suddenly started shooting worse than we had been.

But I agree that the game is not even close if we hit much of anything from outside.

This, yes we were shooting bad but it didn't matter at the time. We had the lead and blew it by playing like poo down the stretch. That has to change. We start to play tight as the moment is too big and guys make dumb mistakes. The coaches need to work on this hard to get any wins in the tournament.

Back