A Marquette fan's view: You guys need to be a little more realistic

Not only did Uncle Tom's massive wall of lumbering text convince me, but it also cured my arthritis and finished my taxes.

The ranking only goes back to the 84-85 season. Here is the explanation...

The 1984-85 season was when the NCAA tournament expanded to 64 teams, making it the first time a national champion had to win six tournament games to cut down the nets. It was also the start of the fairest inclusion in the NCAA tournament: Before that season, even the best conferences got only one team in the field. And with the introduction of the 3-point line in 1985-86, the past 24 seasons can be considered the most modern era of college basketball.

So, to rank the most consistent, most prestigious programs since 1984-85, we let the numbers do the talking.

• National title … 25
• Title game loss … 20
• National semifinal loss … 15
• Elite Eight loss … 10
• Best W-L record in conference's regular season … 5
• 30-plus wins in a season … 5
• Sweet 16 loss … 5
• Conference tournament title … 3
• AP first-team All-American … 3
• Losing in NCAA second round … 3
• Player in Top 10 of NBA draft … 2
• NCAA first-round win as a 12-16 seed … 2
• NIT title … 2
• AP second-team All-American … 2
• 20-29 wins in a season … 1
• NCAA tournament berth … 1
• Postseason NIT berth … 1
• AP third-team All-American … 1
• NCAA first-round loss to a 12-16 seed … -2
• Losing season … -3
• Ban from NCAA tournament … -3
>> Minimum 15 seasons in Division I
** Ties are broken by overall winning percentage since the 1984-85 season
^^ Teams are listed with their current conferences
!! In conferences without postseason tournament champions, the points were awarded to the regular-season champ.

I should learn to read.:facepalm

Very skewed list and shouldn't be taken serious, IMO (I know my opinion is worthless). Basketball was played before 1985...now if you want to erase Naismith-1951, go ahead.

unclejohn just got wamboozled.

features_normanchad.jpg

The MU dude does know OU is spending $75M on a new Athletic Dorm complex in 2012 doesn't he?

OU is doing just fine competing against the other ADs in the land.

He also forgot to add that OU Football is ranked #1 Program of modern times by most analysts.

I'll add to the fact that MU doesn't even play in their own basketball facilities, and they spend more money on basketball than most due to their need to rent space from an NBA facility.

For all of their successes this year, they didn't make it to the final four, and only had a 22-15 record. That's not something to write home about for a "BB" only school IMO.

And, Buzz isn't a Top 20 HC today. OU has him on their candidate list due to his tenure in the state of Oklahoma and his ties with the state of Texas. That's the common denominator. Most OU fans would be cautiously optimistic with his possible hire due to those factors, but he is still an unproven coach at this level.

Last edited:
I should learn to read.:facepalm

Very skewed list and shouldn't be taken serious, IMO (I know my opinion is worthless). Basketball was played before 1985...now if you want to erase Naismith-1951, go ahead.

Look at the Sagarin rankings by decade (that you posted) Marquette was great in the 1970's, other than that, very mediocre.

The MU dude does know OU is spending $75M on a new Athletic Dorm complex in 2012 doesn't he?

OU is doing just fine competing against the other AD in the land.

He also forgot to add that OU Football is ranked #1 Program of modern times by most analysts.

unclejohn doesn't seem to know any of that, HW. I bet he also doesn't know that I am typing this from my teepee. #Oklapride #Oklagold #Oklasoul.

me-n-teepee.jpg

Since then, Marquette has moved into an NBA arena. It is rarely full, and the listed attendance is of tickets sold, not actual bodies present, so at some early season games, it is less than reported. Nonetheless, I believe there have been only a handful of games in the last 20 years or so where Marquette has drawn fewer than 9000, and most were either NIT games where tickets were on sale for a couple days before the game or the result of a blizzard or the like. Marquette packs in fans, and the support for the team dwarfs that of OU. What you consider a huge crowd and would like to see on a regular basis is about half of what Marquette will average for a season. For big games against conference rivals, Marquette will double the largest crowd OU will draw in a year.

lol. you drew 15,000 for uconn. GET SOME FACTS AND COME BACK AND SEE ME!

I bet he also doesn't know that I am typing this from my teepee.

weird that you say that. Some ahole in Wisconsin a few years ago tried to tell me that indians in Oklahoma still lived in teepees. I told him that they didn't and he said I had no clue.

I take back what I wrote. Obvious troll. Sounds like SoonerfanTU written all over it.

Look at the Sagarin rankings by decade (that you posted) Marquette was great in the 1970's, other than that, very mediocre.

I don't know, they did pretty well in the 90's and in the last 9-10 years as well. I'm not really taking up for MU as much as I am just being realistic. MU is far better than the 61st program in the nation. They have a NCAA championship banner, a NIT banner (when that tourney was decent) and that can never be taken away. Neither can all the All-Americans (26 or so)...

MU has been to 29 tourneys (OU 26)
MU is 34-29 in the tourney (OU 35-26)
MU has won 61% of their games (OU 61%)

I think this list is a little more realistic (not perfect but better than that ESPN list)....http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/28116552/ns/sports-college_basketball/?pg=22#spt_bkc_greatest_programs

Last edited:
Congrats to unclejohn for doing what was seemingly unthinkable: uniting the posters on this message board on a topic

Did he really say they get twice as many for conference games as we do for our biggest games of the year?

I didn't realize there was a basketball stadium in the country that could pack in close to 30k...

Did he really say they get twice as many for conference games as we do for our biggest games of the year?

I didn't realize there was a basketball stadium in the country that could pack in close to 30k...

For example
Marquette
vs Syracuse - 19,032

OU
vs Kansas - 8773 real attendance (10994 listed)

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_basketball_RB/Reports/attend/2010.pdf

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_basketball_RB/Reports/attend/2009.pdf

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_basketball_RB/Reports/attend/2008.pdf

Marquette has almost always had better attendance http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/resources/stats/m+basketball/attendance/index.html

Congrats to unclejohn for doing what was seemingly unthinkable: uniting the posters on this message board on a topic

well, apparently we're not all united, with Stockholm Syndrome All-Star up in here.

If OU only had basketball and no football program, I can guarantee you every basketball game would be sold out. Fans of the university would have to find something to get behind

Back