Assessing the current roster situation at OU (4/24/2021)

thebigabd

Reaction score
Players leaving
De'Vion Harmon Oregon
Austin Reaves Pro gone
Brady Manek UNC
Alondes Williams Wake Forest
Victor Iwuakor UNLV
Trey Phipps ORU
Kur Kuath Marquette
Garang UMBC
O’Garro SJS

Players returning
Jalen Hill
Umoja Gibson
Elijah Harkless
Rick Issanza

Players committed:
Tanner Groves (Big)
Jacob Groves 3/4
Jordan Goldwire (guard)
Ethan Chargois (Big)
Akol Mawein 4
CJ Noland (guard) confirmed
Bijan Cortes (guard) confirmed
Alston Mason (guard) committed

OU currently has 12 scholarship players for next season

we know OU wants 1 more guard

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Assessing the current roster situation at OU

Need a legit PG or Harmon to come back.. Need 2 bigs for sure now unless Manek comes back, then you could get by with one I think. Does not look good now, but I still have hope if we hire a solid coach and get 2-3 players from the portal.

1500 players in the portal and more adding daily. We will be fine. Better be patient than hire some slappy.

Yikes. Looks more like an OSU roster. New coach will have his work cut out for him.

You left off Abmas and Obannor.

1500 players in the portal and more adding daily. We will be fine. Better be patient than hire some slappy.

Exactly and it's amazing how the obvious can become so oblivious to others. It's entirely possible that the replacements are better than those who left.

Exactly and it's amazing how the obvious can become so oblivious to others. It's entirely possible that the replacements are better than those who left.

Both of you are dead on. The actual roster will be nothing like this so it’s wasted energy to stress about it.

Both of you are dead on. The actual roster will be nothing like this so it’s wasted energy to stress about it.
We're on a board dedicated to arguing about a bunch of guys who wear red and white while they throw a ball in a hoop, and now you want to talk about wasted energy?

This.

We knew Reaves was gone, Harmon will almost certainly not get drafted, Phipps and Victor averaged a combined 4 PPG, and there is a possibility that Manek and/or Williams returns- depending on the coaching hire.

I think we can replace the 4PPG and we needed to hit the portal anyway, even if Lon would have been here next year. There is a TON of good players out there and my guess we can find 3-4 players better than Phipps, Victor, and even Brady if he leaves.

It is more important to get the coaching hire correct than to rush into a short-term hire where we have no enthusiasm for the future and/or have to do this again in 3-5 years.

Better be patient than hire some slappy.

Absolutely

It's going to be a rebuilding project anyway, so no rush in hiring the wrong guy

Take your time, get the best guy and he'll have it in the right direction in 2 years

We're on a board dedicated to arguing about a bunch of guys who wear red and white while they throw a ball in a hoop, and now you want to talk about wasted energy?

There is a difference between debating things that actually happen (should we start two bigs, should Lon call more timeouts) and things that will never be reality. We know that won’t be the roster. We have no idea which transfers we wi bring in, so I just don’t know why anyone would freak out and start acting like next season is already a lost cause.

I just remember 2011, when we ended up with a roster that included Abdul Ahmed, Carl Blair, Barry Honore, and Nick Thompson. That last Capel roster was not good. Cade Davis deserved better his senior season.

Lon's first roster wasn't much better. It took a couple of years to recruit the foundation of the eventual Final 4 team. Next season might be rough, and the next few years might be lean if the transfer portal doesn't produce.

There is a difference between debating things that actually happen (should we start two bigs, should Lon call more timeouts) and things that will never be reality. We know that won’t be the roster. We have no idea which transfers we wi bring in, so I just don’t know why anyone would freak out and start acting like next season is already a lost cause.

In the original post, I said the transfer portal is good news... not sure if you are referring to me.

Now, there is cause for concern on timing. If it takes another few weeks to hire a coach, that could be a problem. Is anyone recruiting for OU right now at all? Is there any contact between OU and players in the portal? Etc..

Looks to be a complete rebuilding job, I say find up and coming young coach and see if you can hire him on for this task...I still think it may be harder than some think to find the right coach willing to take it..

Does Jalen hill go to unlv?

Does Jalen hill go to unlv?

Sounds like we need to hire Archie Miller or Isaac Brown. They've made the NCAA tournament with 8-man rosters, right?

Back