Assessing the current roster situation at OU (4/24/2021)

Re: Assessing the current roster situation at OU

Does Jalen hill go to unlv?

Hard to see him not go.

But then again, most of the people on here wanted a complete restart, so they're going to get their wish. There's 1500 people in the transfer portal, so plenty to choose from, but I personally will miss a lot of these guys with them leaving.

I hate losing Hartman but hopefully the new coach will make this not as bad.

Does Jalen hill go to unlv?

Why UNLV? Outside of Lon, what's the connection? I don't believe Kevin was even on staff during the recruitment of Hill.

Why UNLV? Outside of Lon, what's the connection? I don't believe Kevin was even on staff during the recruitment of Hill.

He’s from Las Vegas.

He's from that area and he's close with Hartman.

He's from that area and he's close with Hartman.

HIGH SCHOOL: Named a four-star recruit by ESPN and Rivals and 247Sports...Ranked among the top-30 forwards in his class by ESPN and Rivals...Named the 2018-19 Gatorade Nevada Boys Basketball Player of the Year...Led Clark High School to a 25-6 record and the Class 4A state final during his senior season, averaging 17.5 points, 5.3 rebounds and 1.2 steals per game while shooting 56.5 percent from the field...First Team All-State selection and a three-time First Team All-League performer...Named Nevada's Southwest League Most Valuable Player...Runner-up for Gatorade Nevada Player of the Year in 2017-18.

I just remember 2011, when we ended up with a roster that included Abdul Ahmed, Carl Blair, Barry Honore, and Nick Thompson. That last Capel roster was not good. Cade Davis deserved better his senior season.

Lon's first roster wasn't much better. It took a couple of years to recruit the foundation of the eventual Final 4 team. Next season might be rough, and the next few years might be lean if the transfer portal doesn't produce.

Oof...that was a horrible roster. Maybe one of the worst Big 12 rosters of all time but some people still claim Capel can recruit. :facepalm

Oof...that was a horriblen roster. Maybe one of the worst Big 12 rosters of all time but some people still claim Capel can recruit. :facepalm

And don’t forget CJ Washington, Kyle Hardrick, and Calvin Newell. And it bears repeating Nick Thompson was recruited by Capel and played minutes. Nick Thompson.

Only 4-5 players worth anything on that roster and then a HUGE drop off to OCU type talent.

Oof...that was a horrible roster. Maybe one of the worst Big 12 rosters of all time but some people still claim Capel can recruit. :facepalm

It was a pretty bad roster, but fairly comparable to what Capel inherited.

I may have missed it mentioned, but Garang has entered the Portal

It was a pretty bad roster, but fairly comparable to what Capel inherited.

I’m glad you said it. Kelvin left the cupboard bare, too.

Meh easy come easy go so far IMO

Kelvin had a monster class coming in that bailed when he left for Indiana. I'm not sure I'd qualify that as leaving the cupboard bare.

Kelvin's leaving emptied the cupboard. Reynolds and James would've kept the ship a-sail.

Kelvin had a monster class coming in that bailed when he left for Indiana. I'm not sure I'd qualify that as leaving the cupboard bare.

I don't mean to imply Sampson got out while he could. We were on the verge of one of our finest runs as a program with James and Reynolds had Sampson stayed (and not ran them off). I just mean that Capel didn't have much to work with.

Don't get me thinking about Blake as a sophomore alongside James and Reynolds as juniors. Granted, we might not have had Willie. What could have been.

I don't mean to imply Sampson got out while he could. We were on the verge of one of our finest runs as a program with James and Reynolds had Sampson stayed (and not ran them off). I just mean that Capel didn't have much to work with.

Don't get me thinking about Blake as a sophomore alongside James and Reynolds as juniors. Granted, we might not have had Willie. What could have been.

Probably wouldn’t have had Blake, either.

Not sure if posted anywhere else, but Lon was on with Al Eschbach a couple of days ago.

https://audioboom.com/posts/7835878-inside-sports-with-al-eschbach-03-30-2021-lon-kruger

Few tidbits:
- From the last conversation he had with the seniors, he expects them to all go pro.
- Harmon hasn't signed with an agent and is testing waters. Unlikely he returns, but there is still a chance
- When asked about the OU job, he said it's an attractive opening, great people to work with, great tradition, great practice and weight facilities. However, specifically mentions the arena needs to be addressed and was bummed out when the deal with the city of Norman fell through.

It absolutely is leaving it bare, because they had barely any talent in the program when capel took over. It doesn’t matter who would have come if kelvin had stayed because that didn’t happen.

It absolutely is leaving it bare, because they had barely any talent in the program when capel took over. It doesn’t matter who would have come if kelvin had stayed because that didn’t happen.

We have had this discussion before (though it's been some time). My recollection is that it was generally agreed (though it was not unanimous) that Capel had much more to work with when he arrived than did Kruger.

Keith Clark, Tony Crocker, David Goldbold, Taylor Griffin, Austin Johnson, Longar Longar, Michael Neal -- for my money, that's far from an empty cupboard. And I'm one who holds it against Capel (to a certain degree, anyway) that he wasn't able to hang on to James and Reynolds, just as I'll hold it somewhat against our next coach if he's unable to keep Cortes and Noland.

Back