Assessing the current roster situation at OU (4/24/2021)

Re: Assessing the current roster situation at OU

Let them go. Go get a lot of transfers and start over.

We may end up with nobody from this year's roster on next year's team. That is CRAZY, even with a coaching change. You'll never convince me that is a "good thing" for college athletics. I really hope the transferring slows down eventually.

Married today, divorced tomorrow. Too Hollywood for me.

Afraid 1-2 more could bounce. I know it’s part of it but this sucks. Porter should be meeting guys very soon.

Do you have any sense of why so many guys are not only considering a transfer but rushing for the door before Moser's even had a chance to talk with them?

Do you have any sense of why so many guys are not only considering a transfer but rushing for the door before Moser's even had a chance to talk with them?

My guess is to get while the getting's good. Harkless could go to Gonzaga or Baylor or Houston or USC or UCLA or wherever in a heartbeat and play for a title contender next year ... maybe even in his home state. Hard to justify staying in Oklahoma to play for a new coach with a bunch of guys you haven't met yet.

We won't have trouble attracting top transfers because Moser's got good cred, big 12 has great visibility, and you'll have almost guaranteed PT. But a guy like Harkless will want to compete in the post-season.

Gibson transferred to OU for the same reason and might not stay if he doesn't get that opportunity. I could see Hill wanting to transfer to UNLV as well since that's his home and he's comfortable with the coaching staff.

We may end up with nobody from this year's roster on next year's team. That is CRAZY, even with a coaching change. You'll never convince me that is a "good thing" for college athletics. I really hope the transferring slows down eventually.
It's awful. The wild west is here. I hate it.

Correct me if I am wrong... but isn't all this transfer mania largely a one year thing as a result of Covid?

Correct me if I am wrong... but isn't all this transfer mania largely a one year thing as a result of Covid?

The door has been opened, and it's unlikely to close anytime soon. I don't think many expect this to be a one-year-only deal.

The door has been opened, and it's unlikely to close anytime soon. I don't think many expect this to be a one-year-only deal.

I do. Coaches are going to throw a fit this summer.

I do. Coaches are going to throw a fit this summer.

Lawyers representing players have been having a field-day with the NCAA over the past few years. I'm not saying it can't close, but smart money is currently on it not.

Can the OP, or someone, update this list so it is accurate as of today? or is it?

My guess is to get while the getting's good. Harkless could go to Gonzaga or Baylor or Houston or USC or UCLA or wherever in a heartbeat and play for a title contender next year ... maybe even in his home state. Hard to justify staying in Oklahoma to play for a new coach with a bunch of guys you haven't met yet.

We won't have trouble attracting top transfers because Moser's got good cred, big 12 has great visibility, and you'll have almost guaranteed PT. But a guy like Harkless will want to compete in the post-season.

Gibson transferred to OU for the same reason and might not stay if he doesn't get that opportunity. I could see Hill wanting to transfer to UNLV as well since that's his home and he's comfortable with the coaching staff.

While i really like harkless, i would wager that he could not get minutes at a baylor or gonzaga.. i would imagine also that he would get waaayyyy more minutes/shots and time to showcase his game at a OU rather than a title contender. If i were him, i would stay where im at or go to an even more desperate team where i could play even more

While i really like harkless, i would wager that he could not get minutes at a baylor or gonzaga.. i would imagine also that he would get waaayyyy more minutes/shots and time to showcase his game at a OU rather than a title contender. If i were him, i would stay where im at or go to an even more desperate team where i could play even more

Agreed. He's going to be the featured guy here and would have a chance to maybe develop additional PG skills that would help his pro prospects.

Let's get Adam Miller from Illinois, Christian Bishop from Creighton, and convince Krutwig to come play one more year. Keep Harkless as the spark plug.

That should be easy, right?

i agree with this completely ..

Harkless is priority #1

My initial reaction to the news of Coach Kruger's retirement was concern that his departure could lead to players leaving. That's proven to be true, though I hold out hope that the worst is over. Hopefully no more current players leave and we hang on to Noland. He would be a very tough loss to take.

We've got lots of slots to fill, even if no one else leaves. And while I'm glad we got a new commitment, from what I read he's ranked #245 nationally. I'm not saying that means he won't work out -- Coach Moser obviously knows infinitely more than I do about assessing players -- but I do hope he proves to have been vastly underrated.

Agreed, Man. It is brutal out here. Everyone knows the ncaa is a joke now too, so the tampering will continue at an obscene level. It’s happening big time to our roster rn.

We've got lots of slots to fill, even if no one else leaves. And while I'm glad we got a new commitment, from what I read he's ranked #245 nationally. I'm not saying that means he won't work out -- Coach Moser obviously knows infinitely more than I do about assessing players -- but I do hope he proves to have been vastly underrated.

In all years tons of recruits get missed. Now consider the same during a covid year. This year’s recruiting rankings will likely be worse than usual due to lack of exposure.

I think he is underrated. This kid can shoot and is quick. He doesn’t have a hitch in his shot like Harmon did in high school.

Having said that, he looks really small. He is going to need some time in the weight room before he’s ready to contribute a lot IMO. If he adds some strength he could be a good players in a couple years. Coach Moser mentioned that he builds a program for the future and not just year by year. Hopefully we can get some big time plug and play transfers too.

In all years tons of recruits get missed. Now consider the same during a covid year. This year’s recruiting rankings will likely be worse than usual due to lack of exposure.

I think he is underrated. This kid can shoot and is quick. He doesn’t have a hitch in his shot like Harmon did in high school.

Having said that, he looks really small. He is going to need some time in the weight room before he’s ready to contribute a lot IMO. If he adds some strength he could be a good players in a couple years. Coach Moser mentioned that he builds a program for the future and not just year by year. Hopefully we can get some big time plug and play transfers too.

Talked to a high school coach here in Chicago today about Moser. His concern is that he's so focused on "culture" and "fit" that he might not have enough runway at a school like OU. He's convinced if he was given the time, the program would be absolutely humming in 5-6 years, but these first few years might be rough because he's not willing to sell out for the JUCO transfers and culture risks that a guy like Capel was willing to sell out for.

Only one coach's opinion, but one that's been around Moser quite a bit and wants to see him succeed.

Back