Assessing the current roster situation at OU (4/24/2021)

Re: Assessing the current roster situation at OU

He's convinced if he was given the time, the program would be absolutely humming in 5-6 years

5 or 6 years is asking a lot of patience. Here's hoping being at a large program with more resources allows up to speed up the process.

Talked to a high school coach here in Chicago today about Moser. His concern is that he's so focused on "culture" and "fit" that he might not have enough runway at a school like OU. He's convinced if he was given the time, the program would be absolutely humming in 5-6 years, but these first few years might be rough because he's not willing to sell out for the JUCO transfers and culture risks that a guy like Capel was willing to sell out for.

Only one coach's opinion, but one that's been around Moser quite a bit and wants to see him succeed.

interesting, because it seems that if Moser is building the right culture, JC will give him plenty of runway. I think the combination of Joe's commitment to doing things the right way with the fact that basketball is secondary to football in importance and budget at OU, it seems to me that as long as Moser's teams are competitive, that he will be given the time he needs to prove himself.

I do like to hear that if giving enough time, that Moser will have the program "humming". Looking forward to that.

I'll be on Moser like stink on poop if it takes us 5-6 years to be "humming". :)

I'll be on Moser like stink on poop if it takes us 5-6 years to be "humming". :)

i guess it depends on what that means

if it is top 3 in conf and deeps runs 5 years might be fine .. as long as by year 2 or 3 we are a consistent tourney team and not on the bubble ..

if it means year 5 before the tourney then i agree with you

Like it did Kelvin?

I KEED I KEED!

I'm going to get a look at the practice lineup on day 1 before I make any judgments on how long this is going to take. We've been dreadfully thin on the interior for a couple of years anyway, so the roster was already a bit of a mess.

Talked to a high school coach here in Chicago today about Moser. His concern is that he's so focused on "culture" and "fit" that he might not have enough runway at a school like OU. He's convinced if he was given the time, the program would be absolutely humming in 5-6 years, but these first few years might be rough because he's not willing to sell out for the JUCO transfers and culture risks that a guy like Capel was willing to sell out for.

Only one coach's opinion, but one that's been around Moser quite a bit and wants to see him succeed.
The problem with Capel wasn't that he sold out the OU culture to get HS AA and JUCO AA, the problem with Capel is he sold out the culture and couldn't evaluate talent, or attitude. Maybe there was a reason only Texas schools recruited a 4 star top 50 TMG, that should have been a red flag. Yeah, he brought in talent like WW, Tiny Gallon, or even Fitz and Pledge, but he also signed CJ Washington, Abdul Ahmed, Calvin Newell, Kyle Hardrick, and Nick Thompson. Nick Thompson?!?

I don't think Moser will be in that same boat of talent evaluation. He has proven he can evaluate talent and develop the 3 star into a greater player. Capel had the opposite problem. Recruit a 4 star and turn him into a low 3 star.

Plus I think when Moser talks about culture, he isn't only talking about not cheating, he is talking about attitude and effort, the commitment to "win the day" as he talked about in his PC. Just because it might take 4-6 years to get that culture "humming", doesn't mean we won't see results quicker or even immediately. Next year could be a challenge (winning 12-15 games) depending on who he can get to fill out the roster, but from what I have seen I expect to see him get us at least to where we have been in year 2.

The problem with Capel wasn't that he sold out the OU culture to get HS AA and JUCO AA, the problem with Capel is he sold out the culture and couldn't evaluate talent, or attitude. Maybe there was a reason only Texas schools recruited a 4 star top 50 TMG, that should have been a red flag. Yeah, he brought in talent like WW, Tiny Gallon, or even Fitz and Pledge, but he also signed CJ Washington, Abdul Ahmed, Calvin Newell, Kyle Hardrick, and Nick Thompson. Nick Thompson?!?

I don't think Moser will be in that same boat of talent evaluation. He has proven he can evaluate talent and develop the 3 star into a greater player. Capel had the opposite problem. Recruit a 4 star and turn him into a low 3 star.

Plus I think when Moser talks about culture, he isn't only talking about not cheating, he is talking about attitude and effort, the commitment to "win the day" as he talked about in his PC. Just because it might take 4-6 years to get that culture "humming", doesn't mean we won't see results quicker or even immediately. Next year could be a challenge (winning 12-15 games) depending on who he can get to fill out the roster, but from what I have seen I expect to see him get us at least to where we have been in year 2.

The biggest problem for Capel, if you guys don't remember, was that he always put all his eggs in one basket...he went after studs and if he didn't sign him he never seemed to have a backup plan and was stuck trying to scrounge for whatever was left over after. Several times he was the bridesmaid for big time recruits and we ended up signing someone second tier when it was all said and done.

Just my opinion.

Re: Assessing the current roster situation at OU (4/8/2021)

i'm fine with most of the roster turnover. wish brady was back, harmon to a lesser degree. i think moser's timeline will echo enfield at usc. obviously we are a better program, but with so much roster rebuilding to start, i am cool with 4-5 years to get it going. after 5, oi. the bright side is that i don't envision ksu, tech, isu or tcu being better than us by that time, if ever.

The biggest problem for Capel, if you guys don't remember, was that he always put all his eggs in one basket...he went after studs and if he didn't sign him he never seemed to have a backup plan and was stuck trying to scrounge for whatever was left over after. Several times he was the bridesmaid for big time recruits and we ended up signing someone second tier when it was all said and done.

Just my opinion.
Yeah, there were a few of those, like Harrison Barnes the most noteworthy, maybe Pressey, Jai Lucas, and Daniel Oreton. Even Julius Randle as an underclassman before he was fired

But if you have any ability to evaluate talent, you don't fall off from Harrison Barnes to Nick Thompson in the 2010 class. Or sign Kyle Hardrick because you miss on Daniel Oreton in 2009.

That's just bad recruiting.

Yeah, there were a few of those, like Harrison Barnes the most noteworthy, maybe Pressey, Jai Lucas, and Daniel Oreton. Even Julius Randle as an underclassman before he was fired

But if you have any ability to evaluate talent, you don't fall off from Harrison Barnes to Nick Thompson in the 2010 class. Or sign Kyle Hardrick because you miss on Daniel Oreton in 2009.

Exactly what I'm talking about. No backup plans.

Jai Lucas ended up being one of those eggs all in...

If he would have gotten plan A one 2-3 of those guys he probably wouldnt have been pushed out the door. ....and we would have been pretty good.

It was also the inmates running the asylum under Capel. If you're going to bring in guys with questionable discipllne, you've got to stay on top of them, show them that either they toe the line and work hard and comport themselves well or they sit (or leave). I never had the sense Capel was doing that.

Terrence Jones and Terrence Ross were big targets that Capel put a ton of effort/time into and fell short on.

If the season started today (assuming every player in portal and declared for NBA is gone).....

PG: Bijan Cortez
SG: Umoja Gibson
SG: Elijah Harkless
PF: Alondes Williams (has not announced anything)
PF: Jalen Hill

That's the team RIGHT NOW....

Over the next 30 days we have to plug holes.

I feel like we have another guy who is going to get his name spelled wrong a million times in the next 4 years. See: McNeace, Jamuni

It's c-o-r-t-e-S.

yes I'm THAT guy lol

I feel like we have another guy who is going to get his name spelled wrong a million times in the next 4 years. See: McNeace, Jamuni

It's c-o-r-t-e-S.

Noland, if he sticks, might be right there with him. I've seen Nolan quite a few times already, here and elsewhere.

Noland, if he sticks, might be right there with him. I've seen Nolan quite a few times already, here and elsewhere.

I'll just think of Chuck Noland, Tom Hanks's character in Castaway :)

Have a feeling Williams may come back. Nothing concrete.

Have a feeling Williams may come back. Nothing concrete.

That would be great. If we could get him and the remaining current players to stick, we can build a pretty solid team around them in year 1.

The other big problem with Capel was that he is a **** basketball coach.

That would be great. If we could get him and the remaining current players to stick, we can build a pretty solid team around them in year 1.

Little more Krutwig smoke...

Back