Assessing the current roster situation at OU (4/24/2021)

Re: Assessing the current roster situation at OU

We have had this discussion before (though it's been some time). My recollection is that it was generally agreed (though it was not unanimous) that Capel had much more to work with when he arrived than did Kruger.

Keith Clark, Tony Crocker, David Goldbold, Taylor Griffin, Austin Johnson, Longar Longar, Michael Neal -- for my money, that's far from an empty cupboard. And I'm one who holds it against Capel (to a certain degree, anyway) that he wasn't able to hang on to James and Reynolds, just as I'll hold it somewhat against our next coach if he's unable to keep Cortes and Noland.

Lon inherited guys like Osby, Clark, Pledger, and Fitzgerald. Osby is the best player of the bunch. Listing Keith Clark as an asset is laughable.

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/status/1378082995245043719[/TWEET]

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/status/1378082995245043719[/TWEET]

I thought he might stick around. He could probably break A LOT of records if he played another year at OU.

happy for brady. hope he lands at a school where he is guaranteed to only play the four. looking forward to watching and rooting for him next year.

So, Brady wants to play college ball next year, just not for OU. Could the new coach convince him to come back? Or is he for sure, gone?

Not exactly a shocker. I'm sure he wants to play in the NCAA tournament as a senior and he probably won't do that at OU.

Not exactly a shocker. I'm sure he wants to play in the NCAA tournament as a senior and he probably won't do that at OU.

Lol. You don’t even know the roster yet!!!

Let's trade Manek for Krutwig and their PG.

Yep, that is what I have been saying/posting. Williamson is the PG.

We could use the 'stache and a PG. I think we have the spots. LOL.

Seriously, not many seniors have committed to play a 5th year under the exemption, but it is doubtful those two guys have good-paying pro basketball careers ahead of them so maybe Moser can talk them into something. The problem is both guys are from the Chicago area, IIRC. They have a freshman guard on their roster from Colleyville, so maybe he is an option.

Yep, that is what I have been saying/posting. Williamson is the PG.

We could use the 'stache and a PG. I think we have the spots. LOL.

Seriously, not many seniors have committed to play a 5th year under the exemption, but it is doubtful those two guys have good-paying pro basketball careers ahead of them so maybe Moser can talk them into something. The problem is both guys are from the Chicago area, IIRC. They have a freshman guard on their roster from Colleyville, so maybe he is an option.

The kid from Colleyville is a) already in the portal, and b) not really an OU level player. Phipps was better.

Is CJ Nolan’s still coming? More importantly, is he any good? Given how dire our roster situation is, he may have to start from day one.

Afraid 1-2 more could bounce. I know it’s part of it but this sucks. Porter should be meeting guys very soon.

Afraid 1-2 more could bounce. I know it’s part of it but this sucks. Porter should be meeting guys very soon.

1-2 more current players?

We may end up with nobody from this year's roster on next year's team. That is CRAZY, even with a coaching change. You'll never convince me that is a "good thing" for college athletics. I really hope the transferring slows down eventually.

It’s hard to understand why current players that could start for Moser would want to leave at this point. I’m sure they saw what he did with players of lower caliber in the NCAA tourney.

If I was Moser I would try to make contact with the guys he wants to keep ASAP. I didn't know the transfers could sign immediately as apparently Vic has already signed with UNLV. In other words, no changing minds or convincing to stay. I'm sure he knows this and doesn't need a message board to tell him, just seems unsettling for the fans. Seems pretty difficult for him to fill a complete roster for next season at this point.

We may end up with nobody from this year's roster on next year's team. That is CRAZY, even with a coaching change. You'll never convince me that is a "good thing" for college athletics. I really hope the transferring slows down eventually.

I also don’t think it is good for college athletics as a business but I am more concerned about the lost lessons on individuals. I do like that some guys can try to find a better situation but it is now dizzying. Team sports are meant to teach tough and rewarding lessons and those lessons are being lost far too often now.

My favorite sports memories are of guys who were not ready when they arrived on campus but stuck around, developed toughness, and found their niche in contributing to the team. Too many of the guys today are simply trading their 6 PPG for 9 PPG against worst competition; while learning nothing in the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back