Bill Self does not like to follow the rules.

If Wall is smart he will head to Memphis.

Actually, Wall could be in an interesting spot if Tyreke Evans stays for his sophomore year. That would mean Memphis would have he, Henry, and Evans and there is no way there are enough shots for all 3 guys. I think if Evans stays then Wall goes to Baylor (maybe KU). If Evans leaves then he goes to Memphis.

I don't see how anyone could say Barnes is a better recruiter than Self or Self better than Barnes. They are both great. It's all relative to the situation at hand. Some recruits don't want to go to a national power they want to go somewhere they can be the man and vice versa. And throw Capel in that mix as well. They are all great.
I find it interesting now that some people are down playing Self as a recruiter now when before it was his X's and O's.
Dude has a national championship, has dominated every conference he's been in and just flat out wins game so he can obviously do it all and do it all very well. Right now there is not a better coach in the country.

I would say Barnes and Self are neck and neck in recruiting. Again, Barnes has a huge advantage in resources and in local talent. I will say that I never expected him to recruit as well as he has.

According to Scout, KU has had 3 Top 10 classes since '04 and another that was ranked 12th. KU has signed 8 Five Star, 13 Four Star, and 3 Three Star players since '04.

UT has had 2 Top 10 classes since '04 and will add a 3rd surely with the '10 class. UT has signed 7 Five Star (counted CJ Miles though he never showed up), 11 Four Stars (counted J'Covan Brown though he didn't show up), 6 Three Star, and 1 Two Star.

These include the '09 class in which KU isn't done yet but as you can see they are pretty much equal and if anything a slight edge goes to Self. Again, it is nothing short of amazing what Barnes has built but UT was a sleeping giant and getting into the Big 12 really gave them a chance to step it up in basketball.

OU's '08 class was ranked #20 and '09 class is #7 currently by Scout. So, Capel is definitely making a run.

The reason I give it to Barnes is because UT has never ever recruited on a high level. Barnes is the first guy that I have ever known to consistently bring in top players at UT. Self is definetely a good recruiter but KU has always been a great program to recruit to. They're close, but that's why I give the edge to Barnes.

The reason I give it to Barnes is because UT has never ever recruited on a high level. Barnes is the first guy that I have ever known to consistently bring in top players at UT. Self is definetely a good recruiter but KU has always been a great program to recruit to. They're close, but that's why I give the edge to Barnes.

I can definitely see that and there isn't much to argue with. I will say that Self is recruiting at a higher level consistently than any other KU coach. Roy had huge classes but would follow them up with duds. It's pretty amazing the amount of talent that the KU NC team had and they were all Self recruits.

what KU will do is probably take him off of the road for a month as a self imposed penalty. Seems fair

It's a non-issue and I doubt there will be anything that comes of it.

http://www.accsports.com/blogs/jim-young/200901194575/clearly-kansas-wants-john-wall--bad.php

Jim Young quoting Bill Self: Bill to John Wall

"I'm not supposed to be talking to you, and you know that, but I just wanted to tell you that was a great win."

And you're point is? It's funny how people want this to be a big deal but it just isn't. Listen to anyone who is informed in the basketball community and they will tell you that EVERYONE does this, and yes that means even guys like Capel, Coach K, Roy Williams, and others who everyone considers squeaky clean.

You need to listen to the Doug Gottlieb link I posted where he talks about coaches calling it the bump, which is basically putting themselves in position to "bump into" a recruit to be able to exchange greetings. They call it "getting their bump" on.

And you're point is? It's funny how people want this to be a big deal but it just isn't. Listen to anyone who is informed in the basketball community and they will tell you that EVERYONE does this, and yes that means even guys like Capel, Coach K, Roy Williams, and others who everyone considers squeaky clean.

You need to listen to the Doug Gottlieb link I posted where he talks about coaches calling it the bump, which is basically putting themselves in position to "bump into" a recruit to be able to exchange greetings. They call it "getting their bump" on.

Doug did bill no favor. He helped keep the story in the news cycle. With it being so public it's not going to help KU. KU is too smart of a school to do nothing about it. They will do something like no off campus visits or no phone calls to recruits as some form of a sanction to keep the NCAA at bay. The last thing anyone wants is the NCAA to investigate. KU will do the right thing. Something that's not going to matter anyways.

Doug did bill no favor. He helped keep the story in the news cycle. With it being so public it's not going to help KU. KU is too smart of a school to do nothing about it. They will do something like no off campus visits or no phone calls to recruits as some form of a sanction to keep the NCAA at bay. The last thing anyone wants is the NCAA to investigate. KU will do the right thing. Something that's not going to matter anyways.

Doug was on a radio show in KC so I hardly consider that keeping it public. No one is really reporting it any more. I have no clue what that link represents or where it came from. It's not a big deal and that's why no one is talking about it.

KU is already doing the right thing by investigating it and turning it in to see what the NCAA says.

Jim Young quoting Bill Self: Bill to John Wall

"I'm not supposed to be talking to you, and you know that, but I just wanted to tell you that was a great win."

:ez-laugh: What you don't understand is your statement above HELPS Bill Self's case. This is no big deal and the fact you bring this thread back 4 days later is hilarious.

Self was approached by Wall. What's he supposed to do? Ignore him? No, he greeted him and then let him know he couldn't talk to him and then left immediately.

Here's the NCAA verbage....

The rules also state if a coach “positions himself in a location where contact is possible” it is considered a contact “regardless of whether any conversation occurs.” The rules continue to say that if a coach is approached by a prospect -- as Self indicated -- it is a not a contact as long as the coach doesn’t engage in more than a greeting and “takes appropriate steps to immediately terminate the encounter.”

So by Self saying...I can't talk to you and walking away immediately... he "took appropriate steps to immediately terminate the encounter."
That's why he said it. To end the conversation. Why else would he say it in an open hallway with people around. Sometimes hate or envy gets in the way with logic. Keep posting away on this.

Bill Self make Boomer angry. Boomer no friend Bill. Boomer crush Bill. haha.

Doug was on a radio show in KC so I hardly consider that keeping it public. No one is really reporting it any more. I have no clue what that link represents or where it came from. It's not a big deal and that's why no one is talking about it.

KU is already doing the right thing by investigating it and turning it in to see what the NCAA says.

You probably didn't know he was blogging about it. It's been on three major websites and ESPN has reported on it twice. Now no one thinks KU is going to have major sanctions, but this minor allegation obviously has legs. KU and Self have taken the right actions to make any punishment very minimal.

:ez-laugh: What you don't understand is your statement above HELPS Bill Self's case. This is no big deal and the fact you bring this thread back 4 days later is hilarious.

Self was approached by Wall. What's he supposed to do? Ignore him? No, he greeted him and then let him know he couldn't talk to him and then left immediately.

Here's the NCAA verbage....

So by Self saying...I can't talk to you and walking away immediately... he "took appropriate steps to immediately terminate the encounter."
That's why he said it. To end the conversation. Why else would he say it in an open hallway with people around. Sometimes hate or envy gets in the way with logic. Keep posting away on this.

You KU fans can take that "we know it all" bravado somewhere else. Everytime something can be remotely negative about KU, you guys start treating everyone else as if they are idiots and you and Grace are the all knowing. No one is trying to get the NCAA on KU, but it's something that should freely be discussed by anyone, especially on an OU board. So for you to come and silence what an OU fan is saying is offbase. Add to that, Bill Self was wrong. Now is he the only coach doing it? No, but fact is he is wrong. If this subject comes up on jerks like Bossi and Wildeboors board then you can police it, but if an OU fans wants to generally talk about it like we talk about OSU or UT, then we can.

It's funny how people want this to be a big deal but it just isn't.
You keep using that word. I do not think that word means what you think it means. The reaction seems to be one of defensiveness, and not humor.

I however, am getting a big kick out of this thread.

You probably didn't know he was blogging about it. It's been on three major websites and ESPN has reported on it twice. Now no one thinks KU is going to have major sanctions, but this minor allegation obviously has legs. KU and Self have taken the right actions to make any punishment very minimal.

You KU fans can take that "we know it all" bravado somewhere else. Everytime something can be remotely negative about KU, you guys start treating everyone else as if they are idiots and you and Grace are the all knowing. No one is trying to get the NCAA on KU, but it's something that should freely be discussed by anyone, especially on an OU board. So for you to come and silence what an OU fan is saying is offbase. Add to that, Bill Self was wrong. Now is he the only coach doing it? No, but fact is he is wrong. If this subject comes up on jerks like Bossi and Wildeboors board then you can police it, but if an OU fans wants to generally talk about it like we talk about OSU or UT, then we can.

I didn't see Gottlieb's blog but I still don't see it as a huge news piece. It was a story for a couple days but it is fading fast. I think it's funny that people lump Cheno and I together in an argument. If you want to say something to Cheno then fine but no need to name me as well if it's something he said.

I have no problem with people discussing KU on this board. My issue was it just seemed like such a non issue why even bring it up.

Back