Cade speaks on Capel

i'm confused now...should we blame fitz or capel?

it was in response to something i saw on the page before about fitz, when i started to type it was the last post on the board, then you guys added some stuff that i didnt see

About half of our team looks like a church league squad.

This is silly. Have you ever played basketball with a former D-1 player in a rec league? They tend to dominate the league and generally don't play that hard (unless they are in a league with other former college players).

These guys are not playing rec league ball. I understand that you are dissappointed with the results (I am too) but this team finished 10th in the Big XII and was one basket away from being tied for 8th. While it sucks (for fans) to be the 8th place team in the Big XII, that is actually a fairly solid basketball team and nothing like a rec league team.

Youth and inexperience????

So youth and inexperience explain losing to Chaminade? Never. Youth and inexperience mean getting blown out by 23 when you shoot 49% from the floor? First, OU should never be beaten by 23. Secondly, if OU is going to lose by 23, I would at least hope we had a bad shooting night that caused the ass-whipping. Youth and inexperience can be overcome on a well-coached team.

Not taking care of ball = Inexperience at the PG position.

Our point guard has about 50 starts at the D-1 level, not exactly inexperienced. Are we the only team in the country starting an underclassman at point guard?

Lack of rebounding = only 1 player over 6'8" on the floor - and he's not a good rebounder

Not a good rebounder? What pre-ordains Fitzgerald from being a good rebounder? The best rebounder in the history of the NBA was 6'8. Rebounding is mostly about position and effort. Ernie Abercrombie was 6'4 and had no trouble rebounding. Same with Charles Barkley.

Lack of defense = combination of the two statements above

Oh, ok. So now we can just use blanket excuses for everything?

Did you watch the game??? The officiating in that game was questionable AT BEST. Those offensive fouls were atrocious. Blair makes room because Balbay has two hands on him (usually, two hands = foul, but not yesterday).

Oh yeah, blame the officiating. It's always the officiating. Especially 3 times in a row.

So youth and inexperience explain losing to Chaminade?
Yest.
Youth and inexperience mean getting blown out by 23 when you shoot 49% from the floor?
yes
Youth and inexperience can be overcome on a well-coached team.
sometimes and we have seen it sometimes this year. Do you remember last years' UNC team? I guess roy just forgot how to coach one year. I'm sure they never got blown out while shooting well.

Our point guard has about 50 starts at the D-1 level, not exactly inexperienced. Are we the only team in the country starting an underclassman at point guard?
:ez-laugh:

Not a good rebounder? What pre-ordains Fitzgerald from being a good rebounder?
Not everyone is athletically gifted like those players you mentioned.
I guess you will admit that Fitz problem isn't coaching then.

Bill Russell had a vertical leap of 42 inches....I can do a handstand and thrust myself higher off the ground than Fitz can jump...

Not a good comparison.

So youth and inexperience explain losing to Chaminade? Never. Youth and inexperience mean getting blown out by 23 when you shoot 49% from the floor? First, OU should never be beaten by 23. Secondly, if OU is going to lose by 23, I would at least hope we had a bad shooting night that caused the ass-whipping. Youth and inexperience can be overcome on a well-coached team.

Youth and inexperience can be overcome by talent, unfortunately we don't have the horses to compete right now (mainly Capel's fault). Execution plays a huge role as well, at some point you have to roll the ball out there and hope the players make plays...we just don't have guys who can do that right now. Also, every team gets blown out once in a while...to act like we are immune to a nice spanking is comical.

Pretty unfair to include all 336 Division I schools in the same statement...Division II schools have comparable backcourts to the low major Division I's.

Not a good rebounder? What pre-ordains Fitzgerald from being a good rebounder? The best rebounder in the history of the NBA was 6'8. Rebounding is mostly about position and effort. Ernie Abercrombie was 6'4 and had no trouble rebounding. Same with Charles Barkley.

I agree, Fitz needs to work harder on the glass, he gets flat footed quite often. However, comparing him to the athleticism of Rodman and Barkley is not applicable.

Oh yeah, blame the officiating. It's always the officiating. Especially 3 times in a row.

Klegg hates all officials.

sometimes and we have seen it sometimes this year. Do you remember last years' UNC team? I guess roy just forgot how to coach one year. I'm sure they never got blown out while shooting well.

Roy got more talent this year...they start two freshman.

Im starting to think Soonerbounce13 is related to Jeff Capel or a player on the team or something. His unwaivering, blind support is practically delusional.

Let me see if I've got this straight:

If you aren't ranting and raving that you want Capel fired RIGHT NOW, you are a Capel Supporter'.

If you know that Joe C has 100 times mord information about the entire situation and you are willing to live with whatever decision he makes, you are a 'Capel Supporter'.

If you don't want Joe C to make a change unless he knows that he can bring in a really good coach, you are a 'Capel Supporter'.

I hope I have everything straight, because the above pretty much describes me and I want to be sure which category I fall in.

Last edited:
Im starting to think Soonerbounce13 is related to Jeff Capel or a player on the team or something. His unwaivering, blind support is practically delusional.

I already said that if he gets fired it is deserving. Its just my opinion that he should get one more year.

I'm just tired of posters on this message board making every black and white when it is clearly not and when posters on this board my hypocritical and hyperbolic posts. whatever though. keep bashing capel.

Oh, ok. So now we can just use blanket excuses for everything?

You asked for reasons. I didn't say that no other young/inexperienced teams lost to a Chaminade. Did I? I bet there are more teams equipped like this OU team that have unexplainable losses than those that are world-beaters though.

Do you live in a perfect world? At least the normal naysayers on this board come with something that has some substance behind it.

You DO realize being 6'8" doesn't equate to a good rebounder. Right? Rebounding is an art. There are PLENTY of kids in D1 that are Fitz's size and bigger that can't rebound. Fitz is a work in progress. He's TWICE the offensive player he was...let's see if he can improve on defense and rebounding.

"I think that this team has showed character and competitiveness and togetherness throughout the entire year, and I think we've done things that people didn't think we could do. I think this team is better than what our record has shown."

If a team is better than its record, that means it didn't play up to its potential. Whose fault is that? I say it's the coach's.

Klegg hates all officials.

Understatement of the year.

I think they've gotten lazy and the athletes are sooo much better they can't keep up. When they guess (and they guess quite often), it just really t's me off.

I tell you how bad I've gotten...I actually go tell officials they did a good job after the games if I can (win or lose)...BTW, it's not often. Look, I call it like I see it for my team or against...

Just step down Capel, we don't want you. We want a winning coach. You are the worst coach we have ever had. You rode Blake's coattails as long as you could and the party is over.
Why don't you go away, we don't want you either! You guy's are a joke

The best rebounder in the history of the NBA was 6'8.

Wut?

The best two rebounders in total rebounds and rebounds/game were 7'1" and 6'10"

Understatement of the year.

Ha, just giving you a hard time b/c you rag on the officials quite a bit.

I think they've gotten lazy and the athletes are sooo much better they can't keep up. When they guess (and they guess quite often), it just really t's me off.

Agree with this, there needs to an infusion of younger officials to keep up. However, don't blame the officials...blame the administrators (Joe C.) and coaches (Capel) because they request the officials! Refs work as contractors and can do as many or few games if they want. Humans (i.e. imperfect in nature) are making split decision calls, it is the most judgemental sport to officiate and you have to make it in an instant. Like anyone else they make mistakes and errors in judgement, just like Carl Blair does when he throws it out of bounds assuming Cade is running off a flair screen instead of a curl.

I tell you how bad I've gotten...I actually go tell officials they did a good job after the games if I can (win or lose)...BTW, it's not often.

Not surprising.

Look, I call it like I see it for my team or against...

haha, heard this one before. You would be a great official then, sign up, I'm sure there is a local chapter looking for some groomed talent.

Ha, just giving you a hard time b/c you rag on the officials quite a bit.

Agree with this, there needs to an infusion of younger officials to keep up. However, don't blame the officials...blame the administrators (Joe C.) and coaches (Capel) because they request the officials! Refs work as contractors and can do as many or few games if they want. Humans (i.e. imperfect in nature) are making split decision calls, it is the most judgemental sport to officiate and you have to make it in an instant. Like anyone else they make mistakes and errors in judgement, just like Carl Blair does when he throws it out of bounds assuming Cade is running off a flair screen instead of a curl.

Not surprising.

haha, heard this one before. You would be a great official then, sign up, I'm sure there is a local chapter looking for some groomed talent.

Just to point out. I believe NBA officials are the best. They RARELY guess.

BTW, I realize its a tough job. The problem is, you have guys like Ed Hightower running around out there letting you know just how easy it is...

Outside of a game here or there college officiating is horrendous.

Just to point out. I believe NBA officials are the best. They RARELY guess.

BTW, I realize its a tough job. The problem is, you have guys like Ed Hightower running around out there letting you know just how easy it is...

Fair enough, but you are in the minority than when it comes to NBA officiating...it is year in, year out the biggest gripe about the league.

Back