Capel was just on the radio (Animal) Notes

Sam

Reaction score
He was just on with Al, here are the notes I took.

Non conference expectations

Didn’t expect 6 losses or 5 straight, thought it was possible
Not a good schedule on our part, Cinncy has proven to pretty good. If we could make a shot in the first 10 minutes it could’ve been a different game.
Tough stretch when trying to integrate new guys,
Cincy coach agreed on difficult schedule for OU, too challenging.
We have played good teams so hopefully we’re more prepared.

Maryland Eastern Shore thoughts

We completely forgot how to play basketball in one stretch, too many turnovers. We have a long way to go.
Fitz has to stay out of foul trouble, had a stretch in Cen Ark where Cade and Fitz both off the floor. Vs UMES we couldn’t get into anything with Blair off the court and Cal struggling. We don’t have good one on one players, with the exception of maybe Cameron. We need a heady guy to run an offense, Carl is becoming that, Cal flashes

Cam coming into his own
He’s getting better even in the losses.
Breakout game was ORU for him, been one of the best players over the past 6 games. Talented

Defense vs Taller teams
Have to be unconventional, commit to it, good ball pressure, good help side all the time, communicate talk.
Has reminded guys that he won ACC his SR year with a small team.
Have to gang rebound and block out all the time.
Arkansas is a great athletic team and we won that rebounding battle.
Set on rotation?
Wouldn’t say totally set.
Match up for some games, A&M is a better match up for with Walkup at the 4.
We bring CJ Thompson in or Nick Thompson (lol he really called him CJ Thompson)

Blair’s progression

He’s gotten a lot better after the struggle in the exhibition game.
Really done some good things since Kentucky
VALUE THE BASKETBALL.
Players hards, tries,
Tounge lashing after Zona to team and Blair was in the gym working out.

Newell
Up and Down, been good and when hes bad and hes been really bad. No middle ground.
Hope Sac St would get confidence.
Thinking too much, attack more, off the bounce. Attack mode on both ends. Did that vs Sac St. Been slippage. Feel confident he will get it back this year

Osby
Doing well, BEST PLAYER. Future bright with Roe and Goff. Learning how to work hard, that was one of my challenges to him when he transferred.
Surprised at how skilled he is as a shooter
6’7 235, 7 foot wingspan, 40 inch vert
Improve handle
Match up problem, will play 3 or 4.

Goff
Solid year, 12 and 8. Saw him 3 weeks ago, 18 and 13. Minor knee surgery, back. Fully recovered.
Excited about him, good motor and athleticism

2nd recruiting period

Like to get a Point maybe a big.
Want to add at least 2 more guys.

Big 12 is tough
So many top 25 and 10 teams

Really good teams, really good coaches, really good players.

A&M is tough, mature, winning experience. Its an challenge, we’re be ready.
Etc etc, lots of good teams.
Night in and night out going to be tough,

did he give a birthday wish and shoutout to Mike Neal?

Will add two more?? Then someone else is leaving?

There are two open ships right now (T.J.'s and Abdul's).

Great to hear. We are going to be a very good team next year as long as nothing disrupts the roadmap that's in place.

Great to hear. We are going to be a very good team next year as long as nothing disrupts the roadmap that's in place.

I hope you're right, Boca, but we still need two more IMPACT players for next year to be anything better than an NIT-caliber team. BTW, I definitely appreciate your optimism. I can't say that I have it for this year's team, but rooting like crazy to be dead wrong.

Add two more impact players and they could turn this thing around quick.

With this style and this level of talent I'll be shocked to see more than 15 wins.

Who could they get who can make an impact? I understand Ellis, but chances are he won't choose us so who does Capel have in mind who can come in and at least be as good as Clark?

Too difficult of a schedule? I think OU's strength of schedule is in the 200's. I never want to play an easy schedule because it does nothing to prepare the team for conference play.

Too difficult of a schedule? I think OU's strength of schedule is in the 200's. I never want to play an easy schedule because it does nothing to prepare the team for conference play.
I agree this schedule was really weak especially when you look at the past 3 or 4 years of schedules. The only way next year is an easier schedule is if we play no Div 1 teams till conference play.

The difficultly of the schedule is in reference to the 5 straight games away from the LNC with 4 of those being vs BCS teams. That is a tough task for any team yet alone a young team like OU this year.

I think it would've been better if the trip to Arkansas and Zona had came after a game or two vs cupcakes in Norman to get some confidence back for this young team.

Honestly I'm not sure if it would've made a difference given the level this team plays at but it would've been nice to see the team with more confidence heading into trips to Arkansas and Arizona.

I agree this schedule was really weak especially when you look at the past 3 or 4 years of schedules. The only way next year is an easier schedule is if we play no Div 1 teams till conference play.

you never fail to amaze me

Who do you see making the immediate impact? Osby? Do you think the improvement will come because some guys make the leap from years one to two and from years two to three?

you never fail to amaze me

They've played 14 games so far this year. The strength of the schedule according to KenPom is 262 out of 345 possible. That means they are in the bottom 25% of teams in schedule strength.

The teams they have played in order of rank according to Pom:

Kentucky 5
Arizona 16
Cincy 26
Arkansas 89
Virginia 102
ORU 160
Texas Southern 269
Coppin State 277
Gardner Webb 292
NC Central 314
Central Arkansas 321
Sacramento State 334
Maryland Eastern-Shore 338
chaminade (not ranked D-2)

The only teams headed to the tourney from that group are Kentucky and Arizona at this point. I think Cincy will melt when they start Big East play and probably end up an NIT team, but they could get there. So, 2 maybe 3 teams they played in the non-con will advance to the NCAA. 8 games vs teams that rank 269 (out of 345). That's weak.

They've played 14 games so far this year. The strength of the schedule according to KenPom is 262 out of 345 possible. That means they are in the bottom 25% of teams in schedule strength.

The teams they have played in order of rank according to Pom:

Kentucky 5
Arizona 16
Cincy 26
Arkansas 89
Virginia 102
ORU 160
Texas Southern 269
Coppin State 277
Gardner Webb 292
NC Central 314
Central Arkansas 321
Sacramento State 334
Maryland Eastern-Shore 338
chaminade (not ranked D-2)

The only teams headed to the tourney from that group are Kentucky and Arizona at this point. I think Cincy will melt when they start Big East play and probably end up an NIT team, but they could get there. So, 2 maybe 3 teams they played in the non-con will advance to the NCAA. 8 games vs teams that rank 269 (out of 345). That's weak.

never said it wasn't weak

He was just on with Al, here are the notes I took.

Non conference expectations

Didn’t expect 6 losses or 5 straight, thought it was possible
Not a good schedule on our part, Cinncy has proven to pretty good. If we could make a shot in the first 10 minutes it could’ve been a different game.
Tough stretch when trying to integrate new guys,
Cincy coach agreed on difficult schedule for OU, too challenging.
We have played good teams so hopefully we’re more prepared.

Maryland Eastern Shore thoughts

We completely forgot how to play basketball in one stretch, too many turnovers. We have a long way to go.
Fitz has to stay out of foul trouble, had a stretch in Cen Ark where Cade and Fitz both off the floor. Vs UMES we couldn’t get into anything with Blair off the court and Cal struggling. We don’t have good one on one players, with the exception of maybe Cameron. We need a heady guy to run an offense, Carl is becoming that, Cal flashes

Cam coming into his own
He’s getting better even in the losses.
Breakout game was ORU for him, been one of the best players over the past 6 games. Talented

Defense vs Taller teams
Have to be unconventional, commit to it, good ball pressure, good help side all the time, communicate talk.
Has reminded guys that he won ACC his SR year with a small team.
Have to gang rebound and block out all the time.
Arkansas is a great athletic team and we won that rebounding battle.
Set on rotation?
Wouldn’t say totally set.
Match up for some games, A&M is a better match up for with Walkup at the 4.
We bring CJ Thompson in or Nick Thompson (lol he really called him CJ Thompson)

Blair’s progression

He’s gotten a lot better after the struggle in the exhibition game.
Really done some good things since Kentucky
VALUE THE BASKETBALL.
Players hards, tries,
Tounge lashing after Zona to team and Blair was in the gym working out.

Newell
Up and Down, been good and when hes bad and hes been really bad. No middle ground.
Hope Sac St would get confidence.
Thinking too much, attack more, off the bounce. Attack mode on both ends. Did that vs Sac St. Been slippage. Feel confident he will get it back this year

Osby
Doing well, BEST PLAYER. Future bright with Roe and Goff. Learning how to work hard, that was one of my challenges to him when he transferred.
Surprised at how skilled he is as a shooter
6’7 235, 7 foot wingspan, 40 inch vert
Improve handle
Match up problem, will play 3 or 4.

Goff
Solid year, 12 and 8. Saw him 3 weeks ago, 18 and 13. Minor knee surgery, back. Fully recovered.
Excited about him, good motor and athleticism

2nd recruiting period

Like to get a Point maybe a big.
Want to add at least 2 more guys.

Big 12 is tough
So many top 25 and 10 teams

Really good teams, really good coaches, really good players.

A&M is tough, mature, winning experience. Its an challenge, we’re be ready.
Etc etc, lots of good teams.
Night in and night out going to be tough,

Capel isn't shy about stating his best player isn't eligible this year. One has to wonder if he's just saying that to get an extra year? Or if Osby is much better than he displayed at Miss State where he didn't even start and they are ranked lower than us right now.

If Capel returns next year and Osby is like a Patillo or a more athletic Fitz, I think a lot of people who bought into Capel's rhetoric (about Osby being his best player) are going to be saying "we wuz robbed".

Back