Damion James apparently returning to Texas

OUHoops

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.statesman.com/blogs/cont.../source_james_wi.html?cxntfid=blogs_bevo_beat

Sources: James will return to Longhorns

By Mark Rosner, Kirk Bohls | Saturday, June 13, 2009, 09:48 AM

Damion James will return to the Longhorn basketball team for his senior season, multiple sources close to the program said Saturday.

James made his decision late Friday night, according to sources. James had been working out for NBA teams, deciding whether to remain in the draft.

He was widely regarded as a candidate for selection late in the first round or early in the second. First round picks receive guaranteed contracts. Second-round picks can receive guarantees, but they are not mandatory. James has worked out for several NBA teams that hold picks at No. 18 or lower.

James canceled a workout in New Jersey Saturday.

A 6-foot-7 forward, James averaged 15.4 points and 9.2 rebounds last season.

Coach Rick Barnes was expected to have a top-10 team even without James. With him, the Longhorns are regarded by college basketball pundits as a serious contender for a Final Four appearance.

A probable starting frontcourt for Texas will be James, 6-10 senior Dexter Pittman and 6-7 freshman Jordan Hamilton, one of the top 10 recruits in the country.

The backcourt will include freshman Avery Bradley, regarded by some as the best all-around player in the freshman class.

Bradley, primarily a shooting guard, might play some point guard. Top candidates to start at the point are junior Dogus Balbay and Jai Lucas, who transferred to Texas from Florida in January and will be eligible after the first semester. He will miss several games in November and December.

Another guard, J’Covan Brown, still awaits eligibility approval from the NCAA clearinghouse. He was ineligible last season, when he would have been a freshman.

With James, I think Texas can most definitely contend with Kansas for the Big 12 title, and a national championship.

I dont think they can contend for a national title, but I do think they will have a decent shot at 2nd place in the Big 12.

I wish James hadn't come back though because Texas would have been very young and inexperienced had they lost Abrams, Atchley and James all at once. Not to mention that Abrams and James did such a great % of their scoring last year.

Wow. All the Texas insiders had already written him off to the NBA. Texas is officially loaded. Damn. BTW, J'Covan Brown still hasn't been cleared yet by the NCAA and there are some concerns he won't be able to get in.

I will be curious to see who the leader of this team is. DJ certainly is not a vocal leader. Lucas?

This also puts Texas over the limit. Wonder who's going to get Calipari'd by Barnes to make room? Stay classy, Texas.

This also puts Texas over the limit. Wonder who's going to get Calipari'd by Barnes to make room? Stay classy, Texas.

It better not be Wang-Mini (spelled incorrectly by design).

With James, I think Texas can most definitely contend with Kansas for the Big 12 title, and a national championship.

Unfortunately, I 2nd that motion. The job Rick Barnes has/is doing at Texas is remarkable.

Having Damion back at Texas is a big. Texas will be a team to beat next year. They have the makings for an incredible season.

It better not be Wang-Mini (spelled incorrectly by design).

Wangmene is the adopted son of RC Buford and rumor is either he or Jai Lucas might pay their ways. I think if Brown qualifies he won't get a ship. May end up at houston or Rice.

Back