Gottleib on OU situation on SA right now.

Can someone who listened provide more info on what Doug said in regards to Capel having problems with players? A buddy just heard a piece of it but said DG was talking about this specifically Tiny & TMG

I've heard the same rumors and that's all that I really see them as but he didn't go too much into it other than saying that the inmates are running the asylum at OU and that Capel is not putting any type of fear factor into the players.

Gottlieb also said WW was his POY. Based on that opinion, what give him credibility. As for Tiny, he has the skillset to be an NBA player, just not the work ethic right now and the game knowledge. I think it was telling how we played when Tiny left.

As for putting the nail in the coffin, it's a very credible senario, because OU has struggled with support from fans during winning periods. As for Gottlieb's statement of lack of respect for Capel, I don't know what he's basing it on, but it can't be discredited. These are the most unmotivated young guys I have ever seen dawn an OU jersey.

Last edited:
What's been our most impressive victory of the year? Anyone remember? And what was different about that game? Anyone?

Here it is. Tiny started the game by nailing two three pointers.

Not a big deal to most, but it changed the way Utah defended us. Secondly, it fulfilled an expectation Tiny had when he came to OU, thusly that he would be allowed to roam, shoot from the inside and outside and enhance his chances of being a 3 or a 4 in the NBA.

Now, Tiny is stuck at the 5 and having to defend players three inches taller and with perhaps a four year head start on post experience. Tiny thought he was going to have "Blake type" freedom. Bring the ball up, face up, and have more range and more options. He originally committed thinking 1) Blake was going to stay another year and 2) that we'd have, at least, a similitude of inside presence so that all the burden wasn't landing on him.

You can see a frustration. If Patillo had stayed, etc or if Orlando had stayed in shape, Tiny may have been in a program where we had a chance to compete coupled with a chance to show off what he feels are his more developed skills. As it is, he may feel an unwarranted burden.

Tiny wasn't promised he would be able to roam. At the very beginning his interviews were all about how he needs to improve his inside game to be a pro. He knew that was what he needed and that is where we are playing him.

I would also like to say that Tiny hitting 3s isn't why we won that game. In fact I think he barely played in the game due to foul trouble. It didn't change their defensive strategy and a pull a big out of the paint. Remember they kept the paint clogged and got a bunch of blocks. We won that game by continuing to attack and playing spurts of good defense.

Tiny wasn't promised he would be able to roam. At the very beginning his interviews were all about how he needs to improve his inside game to be a pro. He knew that was what he needed and that is where we are playing him.

I would also like to say that Tiny hitting 3s isn't why we won that game. In fact I think he barely played in the game due to foul trouble. It didn't change their defensive strategy and a pull a big out of the paint. Remember they kept the paint clogged and got a bunch of blocks. We won that game by continuing to attack and playing spurts of good defense.

I think Tiny's comments are indicative of OU overall as a team. When WW comes to play, others quit. When Steve Pledger comes to play, WW takes mails it in, Tiny dogs it, TMG misses practice. The team doesn't play a full game together far less a series of plays.

Maybe so, the original point is Tiny is small (height) for the position he plays. He may be advertised at 6'9", but no way is he 6'9". Just like Wayman was really 6'7" and Tubbs listed him at 6'9". Tiny is 6'8"...no way he's actually 6'9".

James is 6'7", so they are an inch apart. James plays the 3 spot and was a better 3 his frosh year than Tiny is a 5 (from what I've seen). Maybe by the end of the year, I will change my mind.

Gallon is built like Elton Brand but is not as good at this point as Elton was.

Maybe he can be as good or better who knows.

Truth is, who knows how good he is right now because he spends more time on the bench in foul trouble than he does on the court.

What makes you think James is really 6'7? That is what Texas lists him at, so he is probably smaller. James is not anything more than a end of the bench NBA guy.

Back