Grant McCasland

Boom Soon

Reaction score
Grant McCasland takes a good but not great Texas Tech team in year one, wins 21 games and a winning record in the Big 12. And Sooner fans are sitting here arguing whether Moser should get three or four years to even sniff the tournament. 🤡🤡

I wonder if Joe C is kicking himself for not getting McCasland.

How is Tech’s NIL? I am going guess its better than ours without knowing. Regardless, if you hate PM then not sure I would want JoeC to hire the new coach. It’s not like he has a great record there. Bob found and raised all subsequent football hires, Patty was already here, Sampson was already here and he only has Kruger through 2016 as a good bball hire before he sank the program into perennial mediocrity. His women’s bball record is ok so far, but maybe that’s luck.

WALL OF WORDS

Sorry.

Texas Tech has more NIL to spend. I would guess at least $500K-1M more. West Texas oil money, dawg, mixed with the right people in/around Tech who have a commitment to winning (basketball) games. We've had this convo so often. Until OU shores up things in the NIL department, and ups their commitment towards becoming a great basketball program, it may not matter who the coach is. Though, obviously, there's a chance a different coach ekes out a couple more wins (with the current roster/schedule). Conversely, a different coach could be fighting with Oklahoma State/West Virginia right now for bottom of the basement. Who knows. And I think it's very safe to say, a different coach/staff would have assembled a vastly different roster. Better or worse? Who's to say, no way to ever know.

Is Grant McCasland a better Xs/Os coach than Moser or does he have a better roster? Well, the first part would take a very deep dive that I'm not willing do at, checks notes, 8:00 am, Sunday, March whatever the date is. I can look at rosters though. I have a huge bias towards OU's players, for obvious reasons, but...Tech's roster is better from top to bottom.

When Moser got to OU, he inherited/retained, primarily, Jalen Hill, Mo Gibson, and/or EJ Harkless. None were true stars IMO, Gibson being the closest. We can argue that, I guess, but eh, my viewpoint will not change. That first roster was where Moser really messed up IMO and didn't help himself 'from the jump'. All his fault? Probably not, timing was tough, and I don't think he really understood how tough the Big 12 was going to be (oopsie daisy). But he still could have found better players (hindsight helps here). Keeping Harkless, Gibson, and or Hill, no issues. Duh. They were, at the very least, Big 12 caliber players. Starters or bench. But keeping the commitments of Bijan Cortes and CJ Noland? I was mad at the time (I think I kept it mostly to myself and just retweeted away, lol). I became more vocal last offseason as they continuously wasted (limited) roster space. They were never good enough for OU, especially if the goal is/was to win a lot of games/be a top 25 caliber team. You could definitely extend that same talking point towards Akol Mawein and/or Rick Issanza. Neither were ever OU good and neither have done much of anything at the small college level. That's four roster spots that were wasted or you could say, prevented OU from becoming more talented and starting Moser's career off the right way.

Now, I guess the question is...would Moser have added better talent with four more 'ships at his disposal? That first year, I kind of doubt it, given their evals. Their portal additions, or eye for talent, was/were meh at best. The Groves bros, Marvin Johnson (he was actually talented, kind of Soares-ish, but flaky af), Jordan Goldwire, and Ethan Chargois. Not exactly the best haul to start your OU coaching career. I guess it could have been worse. Maybe. Losing Manek, Reaves, and/or Alondes (Harmon, I was happy to see leave)....that SUCKED and Moser/staff didn't add good enough replacements. NIL? Bad evals? Whatever. Moser's mistake might have been not knowing what a Big 12 roster needed to look like or it could have been taking what they could get cheap.

Okay, now look at what how McCasland's career started at Tech...

He inherited/retained G Pop Isaacs, F Robert Jennings, G Lamar Washington, and/or G Kerwin Walton. Pop is a star (in the B12) and Kerwin is damn solid (shoots 47% from 3P). Jennings might turn into a solid player, still developing, and Washington is pretty much a wasted ship. I would trade Walton, Jennings, and Isaacs for Gibson, Harkless, and Hill. Sorry, not sorry. Mostly to get a go-to player like Isaacs. He's weighted heavily. Then, with more NIL than OU mind you, McCasland added: F/C Warren Washington (Arizona State), G/F Darrion Williams (Nevada), G Chance McMillian (Grand Canyon), F Devan Cambridge (Arizona State - currently injured), and was gifted G Joe Toussaint from WVU because of the Huggins fiasco. Would I take Tech's portal additions or Moser's first portal haul? Lol, come on, man, it's Tech and it's not very close.

Would I rather have McCasland or Moser? McCasland but that isn't an option so...

How many games would McCasland win with OU's roster? How many games would Moser win with Tech's roster?

I'm on record saying I prefer to retain Moser. I will also add...

I don't think it's a coaching problem. Not completely anyway. Moser knows basketball. He's very competitive. Wants to win. He wants to be in the fight.

Right now, in this NIL era, OU has a money and talent acquisition problem. As the GOAT stated, “it’s not the X’s and the O’s, but the Jimmies and the Joes”. I would argue that OU hasn't had a roster in the top half of the Big 12 under Moser. That would take a bit more research but I think it's a safe bet to say OU has been fighting each year with a bottom half roster. How much of that is Moser's fault? How much lies at the feet of donors/athletic administration and the lack of resources/commitment? We may never actually know. Would a new coach be able to change, or do things better, even with their limitations? I mean maybe, maybe not.

If you gave me truth serum, I'd say I don't actually give a chit who the coach is. I tend to support the current coaches (football/basketball/whatever). I'm not tied to Moser, I guess you could say. Until the administration commits to winning basketball games, and having a serious program, OU will likely continue to be a meddling program that hovers right around average/slightly above/below. As we sit here today, we're a week (+1 day) away from the portal opening and there's nothing that points to an increased financial commitment. If there is, I'm unaware. I hope I'm just out of the loop. Truly. When I say increased commitment, I mean getting as close as you can to Auburn, Tennessee, Alabama, and the other committed SEC programs. I left out Kentucky because they're, according to rumors, spending close to $7M and OU isn't going to get anywhere close to that, maybe in my lifetime, lol.

Last edited:
How is Tech’s NIL? I am going guess its better than ours without knowing. Regardless, if you hate PM then not sure I would want JoeC to hire the new coach. It’s not like he has a great record there. Bob found and raised all subsequent football hires, Patty was already here, Sampson was already here and he only has Kruger through 2016 as a good bball hire before he sank the program into perennial mediocrity. His women’s bball record is ok so far, but maybe that’s luck.
This is a conversation many don't want to have, and for good reason, most of us admire/respect/appreciate the things Joe C has done for OU athletics. Whether on purpose or getting lucky. It feels blasphemous to say anything negative about Joe.

But yeah, I think it's also fair to say the AD isn't being operated as smoothly as it could, and should, be.

You're not wrong on the hires.

Kruger was an okay hire who was retained too long. Looking back, Kruger was 58 y/o (maybe 59, I don't remember exactly) when he was hired. It should have been seen as a 5 year hire and retire. Stabilize the program and then ride off into the sunset. Imagine if the plan would have been that? OU gets the Buddy years and then hands the reigns to someone else with a ton of positive momentum coming off a final four run.

And really, one of the main reasons we deem Kruger a semi-success? The failure that was hiring Jeff Capel. One of Joe C's worst hires to date.

Keeping Coale way too long? Horrible. Hiring Jennie? So far, so good. She's a fierce competitor. An asshole, in a good way. But my only caution there is...Jennie was handed some really good talent. We'll have to see how things go once they leave (most have at least another year though).

The NIL stuff is still a mess. The AD should have made sure OU had OU people in control of it. Instead we have some douchey bald Rutgers grad. The softball field should have been built a decade or so ago. The baseball field is lacking (plans are slowly in the works). The basketball arena issue....lol, I just can't right now. OU lost momentum on the football stadium projects.

Etc.

This is a conversation many don't want to have.....
This is likely somewhat directed at me, so here is my response:

I don't like the conservation because there is a lot of guess work involved. Some of you act like you know exact dollars and impact, but really, you are speculating big time. That's it. Treat your opinion on NIL as just that, an opinion and not fact, and it's a more palatable conservation.

I know, I know, OU football is a different monster, but I believe I read their 2023 recruiting class was one of the best OU recruiting classes of all time (not sure how they defined that) on paper. And they did that coming off a pretty bad season and, from all accounts, a terrible NIL set-up compared to our peers.

There are other college basketball programs out there with far worse players and far worse NIL set-ups that are putting better teams on the court. My issue starts there. Once OU is getting the best players we can get with our current set-up AND we're getting the most out of them on the court, if that isn't enough, I'll change my tune. But we're not anywhere close to that currently. So instead of worrying about buying better players, I'm going to worry about doing a better job of coaching up the ones we have. How many top 100ish recruits will we have on the roster next year? Compare that to other Big 12, SEC, or P5/P6 conferences. You might be surprised.

I wasn't in the McCasland camp either. Seems like a high floor low ceiling option. Not really what I'm looking for.

There are other college basketball programs out there with far worse players and far worse NIL set-ups that are putting better teams on the court. My issue starts there. Once OU is getting the best players we can get with our current set-up AND we're getting the most out of them on the court, if that isn't enough, I'll change my tune. But we're not anywhere close to that currently. So instead of worrying about buying better players, I'm going to worry about doing a better job of coaching up the ones we have. How many top 100ish recruits will we have on the roster next year? Compare that to other Big 12, SEC, or P5/P6 conferences. You might be surprised.
Are there? Name them.

And, by the way, I’m not guessing. My info on NIL comes directly from people involved in the OU basketball program and NIL. We are behind the 8 ball. Porter having to work his ass off.

Won 1 more game than Moser with a better roster. Kinda shows how good the Big 12 is.
Who? Tech won three more conference games and two more overall.

I love how quick everyone is to just dismiss Porter’s ineptitude by immediately saying “well, so and so has a better roster.” It’s become the latest crutch, along with NIL. And often, the people saying it are the same people who, after watching our entire nonconference, were predicting that we would not lose a game to any of the weaker conference teams, win all but one or two home games, and end up with 10+ conference wins.

As for our roster: Soares and Moore would play huge roles on any team in the league. Uzan was viewed as a draft candidate and a guy with the potential to be a breakout star … and not just by people here. National media members and legit mock drafts saw him that way. We added a top 60 recruit (I promise, even though we haven’t seen him, this kid is on our team). JM was seen as the dynamic play maker we desperately needed after last season’s glacial pace. Hugley was a guy who had produced a very good season in a power conference when he was healthy. Oweh was considered an elite athlete who would surely build on the success he had late last season. Very few of the “optimistic” posters were questioning our roster. They were actually falling all over themselves to praise Moser for the work he did assembling this squad. But as soon as we started getting our butts kicked by good competition, the excuses couldn’t come soon enough.

I’ll pose this question to Coach since he directly asked me this question four weeks ago when everyone was euphoric after our ugly home win over OSU moved us to 6-5. He asked if I would admit that we were better than I anticipated and if I was satisfied with our record and place in the standings. I said that to that point, yes, we were exceeding my expectations, but I added that our schedule was about to get much tougher and that it would be very tough for us to finish .500, let alone above .500.

So, now here we are. 8-10, with 6 wins coming against the bottom five teams in the league. Mostly noncompetitive losses to the better teams in the league. Barely managing to avoid a losing home record. Regression from both of returning guards. An inability and/or unwillingness to play the style that bests suits your personnel. Constant rumors that Moser has one foot out the door. A refusal to even try to develop Cooper in game action, no matter how lopsided the score or how many players we have injured/hobbled. Oh, and PM is now 2-11 against UT and OSU, and it took a miracle to get one of those wins against a terrible Cowboys team.

If we end up losing Wednesday, it’s very much up in the air if we will make the tourney. If we miss, it would be like losing a golf tournament after standing on the 17th tee with four-shot lead.

I’d argue that every team in the league has accomplished more than us over the past three years. Even UCF should feel some optimism that they competed well and picked up a few big time wins after stepping up to the best league in America. West Virginia is awful this season but under very extenuating circumstances, and they were a tourney team last season. The Pokes may be the one team in the league worse off than we are.

The excuses need to stop. The product on the floor needs to improve significantly. And you know what? Even if our roster isn’t bad talented as some, good coaches find ways to win against better talent. Not all the time, probably not even half the time. But more than 10 or 15 percent of the time, which is about where Moser is.

Are there? Name them.

And, by the way, I’m not guessing. My info on NIL comes directly from people involved in the OU basketball program and NIL. We are behind the 8 ball. Porter having to work his ass off.
You just seem to have all sorts of behind the scenes info on everything. An expert on DePaul and OU. Very well rounded!

You just seem to have all sorts of behind the scenes info on everything. An expert on DePaul and OU. Very well rounded!
I know some people. Thanks for noticing.

I don’t throw stuff out there I haven’t had convos about. It’s not like I’m searching out multiple sources - would not claim to be journalistically solid. But I do have a good friend who is very close to the program. And I know people here in Chicago with ties to both Loyola and DePaul basketball.

So, while I know you were taking a dig at me, I couldn’t care less.

Won 1 more game than Moser with a better roster. Kinda shows how good the Big 12 is.
How do you determine they had a better roster?

Their leading scorer was the #67 recruit in the 2022 class. Uzan was the #66 recruit in the same class.

Their second leading scorer was a 3* kid out of HS. He averaged 4 ppg as a soph and junior at Iowa, and 9 ppg coming off the bench for WVU last year.

Their third leading scorer is a 3* sophmore in his first year at TT. He had a huge jump in production (efficiency) under TT's coaching this year.

TT has two 4* kids on their roster, best I can tell from the 247 site.
OU has five 4* kids on their roster, one of which is redshirting.

In no universe does TT have more talent than OU. That's called coaching.

This is likely somewhat directed at me, so here is my response:

I don't like the conservation because there is a lot of guess work involved. Some of you act like you know exact dollars and impact, but really, you are speculating big time. That's it. Treat your opinion on NIL as just that, an opinion and not fact, and it's a more palatable conservation.

I know, I know, OU football is a different monster, but I believe I read their 2023 recruiting class was one of the best OU recruiting classes of all time (not sure how they defined that) on paper. And they did that coming off a pretty bad season and, from all accounts, a terrible NIL set-up compared to our peers.

I wasn't directing it at you. Definitely not. Honestly, not directed at anyone. I ramble on and on. I may be dead ass wrong, a lot, but MBB is a subject I care about...so eh, I'll waste some words here/there. I have too much time on my hands, lol.

On NIL...

Trilly, who a lot of people trust, said OU is around 8th-12th in the Big 12 (that's from his agent/coaching sources, if you want to trust him. If not, that's okay too. I'm 50/50 on him myself). I've had some convos with a couple of other national guys who are privy to some NIL numbers. OU is in the bottom half (B12) is my best guess. Concrete? I mean, I guess not but nothing at all points to OU having a bunch of NIL for basketball. I think common sense has to win out here. OU doesn't land the biggest portal guys for a reason. We keep a close eye on the portal now...how many guys did OU chase and end up losing out on? I could maybe dig in the archives. It's been a lot. Some of that has to be NIL, right?

I don't think I'm alone when I say that the C&C collective has been mostly a failure, at least from a public vantage point. I mean, shoot, they just tried a half-ass member drive where their goal was 2,000 new members and they got 790. I don't blame fellow OU fans when it comes to not supporting C&C. It's not as simple as "if you want better players just sign up, bro". A lot of people want to know how/where their money is going and C&C isn't very transparent nor do they operate in an organized manner IMO. OU should have a better setup. I doubt I'm alone on that stance. Even Gabe Ikard basically said he should have committed more time/effort towards his NIL startup. I read that as...yeah, OU should have a collective led by OU people.

Sure, OU signed a great '23 football class. They got Jackson Arnold, for starters, who's girlfriend came from an OU family (mom, dad, sister, and brother K Gavin Marshall), then did a good eval job on PJ Adebawore who shot up the rankings like a rocket to space. They fought hard to finally land Peyton Bowen (JA's HS teammate as we all know). NIL was DEFINITELY a factor for PB. You could throw in Cayden Green as a big land as well...who's now at Mizzou, obviously.

Broken NIL or not, OU football has the resources to spend. They'll almost always land a top 10 ish recruiting class. What OU's willing to do for football doesn't seem to be parallel to what they're willing to do for basketball, though.

Basketball rosters/recruiting rankings...

First, I would say that's kind of an archaic way of doing things now in the portal era (judging current rosters by high school rankings). Take a kid like Darthard who excelled at Utah Valley. If you're landing at UVU, you weren't likely ranked, or on the radar, by recruiting sites. And no site does a good enough job ranking portal players. They barely even try. That's a tedious task and these sites are probably too undermanned to do a good enough job.

I will look at rosters though, if I get time, in some deeper way (portal/recruiting/data/production/whatever metric is available). Just using the Big 12 as OU's barometer, it surely doesn't feel/seem like OU's roster is in the top half talent-wise. From what I deem to be generally decent basketball knowledge, and what I can see on my TV screen(s), I think OU's roster is about where they're at in the rankings...bottom half, fighting with TCU, KState, Cincinnati, UCF, and Texas (due to Terry being a terrible coach, not roster talent). On paper, OU seems really close to TCU and KState especially. But again, I'll dig deeper if I can.

Their leading scorer was the #67 recruit in the 2022 class. Uzan was the #66 recruit in the same class.

Their second leading scorer was a 3* kid out of HS. He averaged 4 ppg as a soph and junior at Iowa, and 9 ppg coming off the bench for WVU last year.

Their third leading scorer is a 3* sophmore in his first year at TT. He had a huge jump in production (efficiency) under TT's coaching this year.

Ugh, recruiting rankings are very subjective...so arguing about this is borderline conspiracy theory...

(puts tinfoil hat on)

Portal makes this REALLY difficult.

But just looking at On3's recruiting class rankings from 2020 to today:
Texas TechOklahoma
2020​
91.704​
80.497​
2021​
N/A
84.484​
2022​
91.821​
86.781​
2023​
83.974​
92.151​
AVERAGE (w/ scores)
89.166333​
85.97825​

Oklahoma players performance:
1710089346833.png
Texas Tech players performance:
1710089362543.png

Now, performance is not truly indicative of talent, but it does show Texas Tech having 3 players ranked in the Top-25 of Big12 play.

That could be a coach getting the most out of his players? Could be a talent thing? But, you can spin it how you want I suppose. Average team rating says Taco Tech has more "talent", based on evaluations from on3, which is all subjective. (not something I would truly stand by)

Not something I would verifiably say "In no universe" bc you would be incorrect. It is very plausible, but "talent" is very tough to measure.

Tech also got hit hard with the portal, so roster fluidity makes this really tough to gauge.

This!!

Who? Tech won three more conference games and two more overall.

I love how quick everyone is to just dismiss Porter’s ineptitude by immediately saying “well, so and so has a better roster.” It’s become the latest crutch, along with NIL. And often, the people saying it are the same people who, after watching our entire nonconference, were predicting that we would not lose a game to any of the weaker conference teams, win all but one or two home games, and end up with 10+ conference wins.

As for our roster: Soares and Moore would play huge roles on any team in the league. Uzan was viewed as a draft candidate and a guy with the potential to be a breakout star … and not just by people here. National media members and legit mock drafts saw him that way. We added a top 60 recruit (I promise, even though we haven’t seen him, this kid is on our team). JM was seen as the dynamic play maker we desperately needed after last season’s glacial pace. Hugley was a guy who had produced a very good season in a power conference when he was healthy. Oweh was considered an elite athlete who would surely build on the success he had late last season. Very few of the “optimistic” posters were questioning our roster. They were actually falling all over themselves to praise Moser for the work he did assembling this squad. But as soon as we started getting our butts kicked by good competition, the excuses couldn’t come soon enough.

I’ll pose this question to Coach since he directly asked me this question four weeks ago when everyone was euphoric after our ugly home win over OSU moved us to 6-5. He asked if I would admit that we were better than I anticipated and if I was satisfied with our record and place in the standings. I said that to that point, yes, we were exceeding my expectations, but I added that our schedule was about to get much tougher and that it would be very tough for us to finish .500, let alone above .500.

So, now here we are. 8-10, with 6 wins coming against the bottom five teams in the league. Mostly noncompetitive losses to the better teams in the league. Barely managing to avoid a losing home record. Regression from both of returning guards. An inability and/or unwillingness to play the style that bests suits your personnel. Constant rumors that Moser has one foot out the door. A refusal to even try to develop Cooper in game action, no matter how lopsided the score or how many players we have injured/hobbled. Oh, and PM is now 2-11 against UT and OSU, and it took a miracle to get one of those wins against a terrible Cowboys team.

If we end up losing Wednesday, it’s very much up in the air if we will make the tourney. If we miss, it would be like losing a golf tournament after standing on the 17th tee with four-shot lead.

I’d argue that every team in the league has accomplished more than us over the past three years. Even UCF should feel some optimism that they competed well and picked up a few big time wins after stepping up to the best league in America. West Virginia is awful this season but under very extenuating circumstances, and they were a tourney team last season. The Pokes may be the one team in the league worse off than we are.

The excuses need to stop. The product on the floor needs to improve significantly. And you know what? Even if our roster isn’t bad talented as some, good coaches find ways to win against better talent. Not all the time, probably not even half the time. But more than 10 or 15 percent of the time, which is about where Moser is.

Can't say there is much to disagree with here.

It’s hard to compare talent using recruiting rankings. Those are so subjective. The top 20-30 are usually very talented players but beyond that it becomes increasingly hit or miss.

It’s easy to see who the best teams are because we played the games. We can watch those players against each other and tell which ones are better. OU has the 9th best team in the Big12 and based on watching every game, that’s the measure of their “talent”. We need better players.

Back